IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Beware: Lexon Roof Spoiler defect

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-08, 05:45 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Beware: Lexon Roof Spoiler defect

Just a heads up to my fellow CL members. A genuine Lexon Roof Spoiler that I bought and installed in August developed a crack along the leading edge. From a distance it's hard to notice, but I found it while washing my car and removed it immediately to prevent further damage. I sent pix of the damage to Lexon, and so far they are not willing to repair or replace under warranty, claiming the damage was caused by a rock or flying object and not due to workmanship. I guess I was expecting more 'customer service' from a JDM vendor especially since their branded product cost me more than $500. If I had the chance to this over, I would NOT buy Lexon again . . .
Attached Thumbnails Beware: Lexon Roof Spoiler defect-lexon-cl.jpg  

Last edited by socalJD; 01-27-08 at 01:14 AM.
Old 01-25-08, 05:49 PM
VIS250P
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OH damn!!! WOw $500 buck for the roof spoiler..
Old 01-25-08, 06:01 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hard to tell from the pic whether it is a defect in the molding process, improper paintling/curing, or if something hit it. Almost looks like a gouge taken out of it which would argue for outside impact. But don't know why you are getting such cracks in the painted finish. Almost looks like stress fractures. I put my Lexon on recently and I'll keep an eye out for any damage. How difficult was it taking it off?
Old 01-25-08, 07:00 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

My Lexon has been fine. Could be possible due to the painting services which has no relation to Lexon at all.
Old 01-25-08, 07:09 PM
IS250SoCal
Lead Lap

Damn that sucks. I cant believe Lexon hasn't or won't help you out. I was lookin 2 get a roof spoiler, but after this I may change my mind. I wonder if anyone else has encountered problems like this........
Old 01-25-08, 07:19 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i assume u got it from carson... have u tried contacting them?
Old 01-25-08, 07:36 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cspec
My Lexon has been fine. Could be possible due to the painting services which has no relation to Lexon at all.
My thought exactly. Maybe the paint shop over baked it, maybe it really got hit by a rockchip, or maybe it is really a defective piece.

My question is.... How do you know Lexon makes JDM parts? There are a lot of JDM parts that were not made in Japan. There are businesses operated by Japanese and place order to produce parts outside of Jap and supply only to Japanese domestic market.

I suggest get a Jap friend and try to contact Lexon Japan. I think you will find better customer service this way.

God help JDM fans!
Joseph
Old 01-25-08, 08:20 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

Take it to the body shop where you had it painted- they'll sand it down epoxy and clamp the seperation, fill it, sand it, paint it, done.
It looks to me like something impacted it, there's no way a "manufacturing defect" of a completely none functional piece that is not under any stress or load would seperate like that. And there is no way the body shop could "over bake it", the baking process is about the equivalent of sitting outside on a hot summers day- they use UV lights to speed the hardening process. A void in the fiberglass would have been totally obvious to the painter that finished it, and would have been taken care of prior to paint.

Trying to hit Lexon up for a new piece is a lost cause, unless you get someone on the phone who is feeling really generous.
I guess, I'd kind of want a new one too if I paid 5 bills for what is essentially a fiberglass visor and it got chipped- for that much money it should be able to deflect bullets
Old 01-25-08, 09:12 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

that's not defective. someone tried to pull it off!
Old 01-25-08, 09:25 PM
Shoganai
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ I was thinking the same thing... we all know it's only held on by dbl sided sticky tape. Get it back to the body shop to get fixed.
Old 01-25-08, 10:39 PM
GordoNx3o9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hapaboy
Agree. How did you remove it?
Old 01-25-08, 10:56 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Yeah, like everyone said, it's not Lexon's fault. It's hard to imagine something not drilled, and stuck on by 3M tape cause any sort of damage like that.
Old 01-26-08, 01:28 AM
tracerit
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VIS250P
OH damn!!! WOw $500 buck for the roof spoiler..
exactly... that's way too much money
Old 01-26-08, 02:29 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Hard to tell from the pic whether it is a defect in the molding process, improper paintling/curing, or if something hit it. Almost looks like a gouge taken out of it which would argue for outside impact. But don't know why you are getting such cracks in the painted finish. Almost looks like stress fractures. I put my Lexon on recently and I'll keep an eye out for any damage...
Doubt that anything impacted it, I don't see any other scratches, marks or abrasions on the spoiler or window glass. If it was impacted by a rock, it was a 1 in a million shot that hit perfectly flush on the leading edge and didn't hit anything else on it's way in or deflecting off.

Originally Posted by cspec
Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
i assume u got it from carson... have u tried contacting them?
Yes, Carson is aware and they are handling my claim w/Lexon. In fact I had it painted by Carson as part of the purchase, so I doubt the shop paint is at fault.

Originally Posted by hapaboy
Doubt it, I didn't see any smudges or fingerprints on the spoiler or window glass around the cracked area. If I saw any evidence of tampering, I wouldn't be filing a claim with Lexon, I'd report it to my insurance.

Originally Posted by GordoNx3o9
How did you remove it?
I used rubbing alcohol to loosen the adhesive on the 2 sided tape, and carefully removed the spoiler bit by bit, using more rubbing alcohol as I went. It came off fairly easily using generous amounts of rubbing alcohol.
Old 01-26-08, 03:02 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by josephdoc
My question is.... How do you know Lexon makes JDM parts? There are a lot of JDM parts that were not made in Japan. There are businesses operated by Japanese and place order to produce parts outside of Jap and supply only to Japanese domestic market.

I suggest get a Jap friend and try to contact Lexon Japan. I think you will find better customer service this way.
Your post makes no sense, whether Lexon actually made the part or not does not change the fact that Lexon is a JDM vendor and charges handsomely for their brand name, so I do expect a higher degree of quality and service for that privilege. Since Carson Toyota is the exclusive distributor for Lexon in the US, that should carry enough clout. Why would I want to trouble a friend or relative in Japan for something that is a trademark of Japanese industry - quality and customer satisfaction. If Lexus treated their customers this way, they would not be in the position they are today. The thing that chaffs my **** is the GB stated each spoiler is hand made by Lexon Japan to ensure fitment and quality, which I believed when making the purchase. Looking back in retrospect, I would've been better off with a cheap knock off from fleabay than trusting Lexon and their 'reputation' . . .

Quick Reply: Beware: Lexon Roof Spoiler defect