IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Going to Court w/ Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-08, 08:30 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dangp
Started off on George W. Bush Highway, going the speed limit, chillin, talkin, textin, the usual in car stuff
That's "usual in-car stuff"? You mean for the passengers, right? Heh, if not, this mighta been Kharma...

... But really, that sucks. Glad you're alright.

I'm wondering, though, why people keep mentioning hubcentric wheels as a possible problem. I have been running my FS-01s without hubcentric rings for a few thousand miles now... and I haven't noticed anything. Are you saying my wheels could very well fall off sometime in the near future? Does the problem vary depending on fitment or something?

I remember the person who installed my wheels saying it's a potential problem only if I notice some vibration in the wheels.
Old 01-29-08, 08:31 AM
dangp
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but question: ive been driving on these rims for the past year, ONLY sewell lexus has touched my car since then, no one else touche the car, as far as maitenance goes. and when i FIRST got the rims and tires, i brought it in to them and asked them if it will work on the car just to make sure. i have papers stating that they said it would work. they've rotated the tires and everything else. so considering i have the paperwork and have kept all reciepts ever since i got the rims, wouldnt they be at fault?
Old 01-29-08, 08:41 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
I'm wondering, though, why people keep mentioning hubcentric wheels as a possible problem. I have been running my FS-01s without hubcentric rings for a few thousand miles now... and I haven't noticed anything. Are you saying my wheels could very well fall off sometime in the near future? Does the problem vary depending on fitment or something?

I remember the person who installed my wheels saying it's a potential problem only if I notice some vibration in the wheels.
hub centric vibration would only cause an annoyance level of vibration like a slightly misbalanced tire. Vibrations do cause accelerated wear on wheel bearings so if you are feeling any vibration should get it checked out.

Hubcentric rings are there because aftermarket wheels have to fit a wide variety of cars that have different hub bores between manafacturers. So to solve this wheel companies just oversize the bore in the center of the wheel. If the wheel bore is bigger than the hub bore a rubber ring will be installed in that gap to center it which prevents vibration. If you put a lexus wheel on a lexus car the bores will match perfectly so a hubcentric ring isnt needed there it is already perfectly centered

http://www.prestigewheel.com/Catalog/HubRings66_67.pdf

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 01-29-08 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-29-08, 08:58 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
hub centric vibration would only cause an annoyance level of vibration like a slightly misbalanced tire. Vibrations do cause accelerated wear on wheel bearings so if you are feeling any vibration should get it checked out.

Hubcentric rings are there because aftermarket wheels have to fit a wide variety of cars that have different hub bores between manafacturers. So to solve this wheel companies just oversize the bore in the center of the wheel. If the wheel bore is bigger than the hub bore a rubber ring will be installed in that gap to center it which prevents vibration. If you put a lexus wheel on a lexus car the bores will match perfectly so a hubcentric ring isnt needed there it is already perfectly centered

http://www.prestigewheel.com/Catalog/HubRings66_67.pdf
That makes sense, but is there anything particularly dangerous about not having those rings? That document doesn't seem to be working properly for me, btw.
Old 01-29-08, 09:08 AM
fleadog99
Lexus Test Driver

I can not beleive you got out of your car on 35. That is insane. I am sure Sewell will try to do anything they can to remedy the situation. That is where I got my car and had 0 problems since. Good Luck. Maybe the chicks in the back ate to much Bueno. jk.
Old 01-29-08, 09:19 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

well its going to be like a misbalanced tire, going to have an annoying vibration and accelerated wear on bearings and uneven wear on tires (depending severity of vibration). Vibrations do all types of bad things to mechanical parts. I really doubt hubcentric rings would do anything like break the studs off the car.
Old 01-29-08, 09:36 AM
IS250SoCal
Lead Lap

Wow. Im very sorry to see this happen. I'm glad you are ok. You hear crazy stories about stuff happening like this, and it just sucks it had to be done to a CL member. I hope you get everything resolved and you get back on the road soon. Who knows, maybe you will be in a 2008 IS or.......... an 08 LS
Old 01-29-08, 09:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

sorry to see what happened to you. but jumping to conclusion that it's lexus fault and hiring a lawyer already? you gotta be kidding me.

like everyone else said, seems like your car is lowered (from the pics) and you have aftermarket wheels. the pics don't show anything, but what's loose? what's gone? what's broken? what's off? what did lexus say is the cause for the wheel to fall off? you don't have answer to any of those and you jumped to conclusion already that it's lexus (and need to bring them to court before they do anything?!)

from what i see (of the few pics you took), the wheels fell off, all studs gone (or broken/hidden), lugs gone. that's it. if that's the case, then it's your problem, or your shop problem, whatever.

couple years ago my friend brought a car to a speed shop to have stuff done. they tq all the wheels but forgot one (only hand tightened). for the next 4-5 days, he got weird on and off vibrations when driving. and finally on 5th day he said that 3 of the 5 lug nuts were "gone". it was that close.

my friend didn't even dare to bring the car to dealership
Old 01-29-08, 09:43 AM
Navigatn
Pole Position

i think even tho sewell approved the wheels and all, there is a clause in the lexus contract or something that negates lexus of any liability if you modify your car in any way. i dunno, maybe they'll be nice and offer a settlement out of court.
Old 01-29-08, 09:57 AM
SebsIS350
Driver

I really hope your lawyer talked to you about how the legal proccess works. Lets hope that you DON'T go to trial and Lexus offers you a settlement because if they don't and you do end up going to trial, your going to be there for 3 years... easily. They can prolong it for such a long time. Remember the case with toyota about the oil changes..how it caused sludge build up for people who followed the recommended maintenance? How long did that take? And they actually had valid clearcut proof. All Lexus has to say is that you had aftermarket rims and springs/shocks on and it goes to trial. I don't know what the rate for lawyers in The states is but to go to trial in canada the average lawyer charges 10 grand..thats just a START.
Old 01-29-08, 10:06 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

guys don't forget, like i said earlier, on every set of aftermarket wheels and lugs, you're supposed to retorque the nuts after 100 miles of driving. if you didnt' do this and something breaks it's your fault.
Old 01-29-08, 10:17 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

you should go after the guys who did the alignment (sewell lexus?)....not lexus corp......

thank god all of you guys are ok.....

Last edited by kickin8; 01-29-08 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-29-08, 10:46 AM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

is there any other damage besides the 5 broken studs? cause if its just 5 broken studs thats a cheap fix. save yourself some time and just get it fixed, the dealer might even do it for free if you talk to them about it. i know mine would but hell i dont try to sue over little *****.
Old 01-29-08, 11:00 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

If Lexus rotated the tire you MAY have a case!

Koz
Old 01-29-08, 11:07 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wolverine
is there any other damage besides the 5 broken studs? cause if its just 5 broken studs thats a cheap fix. save yourself some time and just get it fixed, the dealer might even do it for free if you talk to them about it. i know mine would but hell i dont try to sue over little *****.
studs broke when the car was in motion so, that rotor is screwed, probably suspension damage, wheel and tire also, its not going to be cheap

Quick Reply: Going to Court w/ Lexus