IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Those who have JDM sidemarkers.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-08, 12:44 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lama
Is driving faster than 75mph also illegal?
Usually, yes. But what’s your point? If you’re saying that I do that you would be mistaken.

You may have seen some of my past posts where I describe how to drive our freeways without getting a ticket. Yes, in my youth I got my share, but I haven’t had one in 22 years now.
Old 02-01-08, 04:34 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Magellen, I think you are misunderstanding my point. I said i don't care about the law, but i never said i was going to break every single law there is. I'm sure everyone is just a hypocrite just like me. A LMS intake isn't street legal, so i guess I'm breaking the law. But i think that the white sidemarkers bulbs look better than amber, but that's my point of view. Mods can close this thread now.
Old 02-01-08, 05:58 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

igofast,
So which laws are you going to break? And what criteria do you use to decide? How about some simple stuff—like lying to a judge in traffic court; cheating an insurance company; getting a fake doctor’s note to justify illegal tints? These are all topics that have been justified by some on CL.

And please, not “everyone is just a hypocrite just like you”. That’s an insult to nerds like me who try to obey all laws, and if we don't it's by accident.

And while I’m at it, there’s a reason for the side lighting laws. It’s a safety thing. I understand it’s to better identify the placement and movement of other cars at night. For that matter, all these equipment laws have a purpose, and I believe it’s irresponsible for anyone to think it’s OK to violate them.
Old 02-01-08, 09:46 PM
z4frosik
Pole Position

lolers @ the direction this thread went.
Old 02-01-08, 10:46 PM
Lama
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I **********, kill kittens, pour motor oil in stormdrains and change orange lightbulbs to white daily.
Old 02-01-08, 11:18 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Magellan
igofast,
So which laws are you going to break? And what criteria do you use to decide? How about some simple stuff—like lying to a judge in traffic court; cheating an insurance company; getting a fake doctor’s note to justify illegal tints? These are all topics that have been justified by some on CL.

And please, not “everyone is just a hypocrite just like you”. That’s an insult to nerds like me who try to obey all laws, and if we don't it's by accident.

And while I’m at it, there’s a reason for the side lighting laws. It’s a safety thing. I understand it’s to better identify the placement and movement of other cars at night. For that matter, all these equipment laws have a purpose, and I believe it’s irresponsible for anyone to think it’s OK to violate them.
If it's a damn safety thing why do i have to install it myself instead of having it stock? It won't make a single difference if i have the side marker or not. Look at how many who don't have it. I want it because it looks cool and i like it and i love how it looks and would wish it came in another color. I probably break a couple rules a day. My girlfriend is under aged. I ran a red today. I speed on the freeway. I used a fake doctors note to get out of school. You take things too seriously. Take a chill pill and relax a bit.

If you want things to stay safe, go be another bubble boy and live in there forever. Seriously i wanted to know 1 simple thing and this guy brings it to another level on 'explaining his theories on safety'. Thanks but i don't need it from you. I'll get my share when i get caught doing something stupid.

Seeing your profile you are 71. If you aren't lying about that age i'm sure you had your share of thrills when you were 19. Let me have mine.

Last edited by 2slow; 02-01-08 at 11:26 PM.
Old 02-02-08, 12:05 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by igofast
Seeing your profile you are 71. If you aren't lying about that age i'm sure you had your share of thrills when you were 19. Let me have mine.
I see now you’re only 19. Sorry, I thought I was talking to someone a bit older. I can see now the discussion is moot. And you may be right. I may have had the same attitude at 19 that you have now; feeling indestructible, thinking you can do as you damn well please with no consequences or regard for others.

I sincerely hope you will understand more of what it is to be a responsible adult as you mature. But for now, let’s leave it as it is and hope for the best. Yes, I am 71 and it's way past my bed time.
Old 02-02-08, 01:14 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Anyways, besides all this madness.. I'm going to try to heat the entire thing and change the bulb out. I'll tell you guys how it goes.
Old 02-02-08, 09:54 AM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Lets just get back on topic...

To each Their Own for mods, Legal or illegal

But i think white isnt illegal for sidemarkers, ive seen Benz with white turn signals on the mirrors, its not like the sidemarkers are on 24/7 its only on when you turn on your turn signals.

if someone wants to experiment with changing out the bulb inside the sidemarkers, im sure it would be possible.
Old 02-02-08, 10:41 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
But i think white isnt illegal for sidemarkers, ive seen Benz with white turn signals on the mirrors, its not like the sidemarkers are on 24/7 its only on when you turn on your turn signals.
Sorry, you’re wrong:

Federal Side Marker Law

Furthermore, they should be on with the parking or headlights. Although permitted, it is not necessary to have them flash with turn signals.
Old 02-02-08, 10:53 AM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I gotta take a look at my buddys TL-S and see what color his sidemarkers are. but im pretty sure Cops wont pull you over for the different light color.

Lets just agree that changing the color of the sidemarkers can be illegal and its up to the owner to have the judgment to do as they please even if it is against the law.

I think doing red-outs are illegal to since the light is no longer amber but red.
Old 02-02-08, 12:41 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
I gotta take a look at my buddys TL-S and see what color his sidemarkers are. but im pretty sure Cops wont pull you over for the different light color.

Lets just agree that changing the color of the sidemarkers can be illegal and its up to the owner to have the judgment to do as they please even if it is against the law.

I think doing red-outs are illegal to since the light is no longer amber but red.
Well sorry, we can’t agree on that. It’s not that side markers with different colors CAN be illegal; it’s simply that they are-- amber in front, red in the back, period. Furthermore, I don’t think it’s up to an owner to do as they please even if it’s against the law. Where, in regard to the public’s interest in safe driving and the design of safer automobiles, do such mindsets end?
Old 02-02-08, 02:37 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Magellan, if you say it;'s for safe driving and design of safer automobiles how come the 2IS doesn't come with the sidemarkers and we need to add it on? Wouldn't i be adding on a safety feature?
Old 02-02-08, 04:27 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

igofast, i would keep it orange. or change to halogen white if possible.

once again, another super duper conservative 2IS argument .
this thread isn't about how legal or safe sidemarker and bulbs are, but if it is possible to change sidemarker bulbs. all you pansies that have a problem with this mod or any other extremem mods, stick with the red outs and led interior lights threads.
Old 02-02-08, 05:19 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by igofast
Magellan, if you say it;'s for safe driving and design of safer automobiles how come the 2IS doesn't come with the sidemarkers and we need to add it on? Wouldn't i be adding on a safety feature?
The safety feature is already there. Your IS comes with side lighting both front and rear, built into the headlight and taillight housings that can be seen from the side.

Go out tonight, turn on the lights, and look at your car from either side. See? You will notice that all federal requirements have been met for amber in the front and red in the rear that can be seen from the sides. And it's done with a nice, clean look without poking holes in your fenders as was done in some older cars.

So what is it you “need” to add on?

Quick Reply: Those who have JDM sidemarkers.