IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Weird problems with my 6MT shifter.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-08, 04:47 PM
arksun
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Weird problems with my 6MT shifter.

I've only had this car for about two months and I've noticed two very annoying problems.

1) Sometimes when I'm at a light or stop sign and in neutral, I can't shift back into first at all. I try moving to first gear but seems like it's locked up. I thought this "gate lock" feature was only when the car is moving at a higher speed first gear can't handle? I would have to get back to neutral and keep trying to get into first. It has taken me up to 6 tries before and a line of pissed off drivers to finally get it into first.

2) Shifting into second sometimes there's a forceful *THUNK* and I feel as if I'm grinding something away (my synchros?). I've tried shifting slower but occasionally as I'm moving the shifter down into second, I feel something spinning down there resisting my shifter and kind of kicking it back out. I usually shift into 2nd at 3000 RPM.

Has anyone had any of these problems?

Last edited by arksun; 01-31-08 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-31-08, 05:22 PM
awol707
Driver

Originally Posted by arksun
I've only had this car for about two months and I've noticed two very annoying problems.

1) Sometimes when I'm at a light or stop sign and in neutral, I can't shift back into first at all. I try moving to first gear but seems like it's locked up. I thought this "gate lock" feature was only when the car is moving at a higher speed first gear can't handle? I would have to get back to neutral and keep trying to get into first. It has taken me up to 6 tries before and a line of pissed off drivers to finally get it into first.

2) Shifting into second sometimes there's a forceful *THUNK* and I feel as if I'm grinding something away (my synchros?). I've tried shifting slower but occasionally as I'm moving the shifter down into second, I feel something spinning down there resisting my shifter and kind of kicking it back out. I usually shift into 2nd at 3000 RPM.

Before I get started, many members of the Club Lexus forums have started threads similar to this one. It seems that many of the threads end in no resolution.

I have had my car for about a year and 4 months now. I have the same problems you do. The problems started to stir up 2 months into owning the vehicle. The very moment I started hearing odd noises, I brought it into the dealership. My dealership knows absolutely nothing, they never do any research, and are complete fools. The dealership was of no help to my issues, and I set them straight and told them to start doing research and reading around because problems like mine exist.

Anyways, after this much time the problems still exist, and I am without any "hands-on" support.

Also, I noticed that my noise is not necessarily a "thunk" sound more like a grinding - swirling - swishing - scratching sound.

Hope you have some luck with the dealership.
Old 01-31-08, 06:22 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 308 Likes on 268 Posts

With the car stationary, try letting the clutch out while car is in neutral. Then depress the clutch and put into first. If this makes the shifting easier, then it's probably normal. If this doesn't work, depress the clutch and put the car in second and then straight into first (clutch depressed all the time). If this helps things, then you may have a weak first gear syncro. This is an old trick from the dark ages when many manual transmission cars didn't have syncromesh on first gear. It could be a lockout issue, but I'm not too familiar with how this works.

Last edited by sktn77a; 01-31-08 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-31-08, 06:26 PM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

i have similar problems.
-in regards to the problem going into first gear, I found that if you release the clutch in neutral then depress the clutch, you can put it into 1st gear easily (instead of trying to jam it in)
-i also have weird noises
-also have problems going from 1st to 2nd
Old 01-31-08, 06:59 PM
Recluse
Pole Position

Yes, I have experienced this. But what sktn77a and Nicelex13 suggested works for me: I put the stick in neutral, then cycle the clutch, then try again.

That doesn't sound like anything I've experienced (knock on wood).
Old 01-31-08, 07:05 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

I've felt the same. I tried to convince the dealership that there was a problem but much like the Aux Port, since there was no TSIB (at the time), they wouldn't fix it. As of now, there still isn't a TSIB on the manual transmission. The problem is that there aren't enough of us to create a stir... and how can we when we're only about 1% of the cars in the US?!

Has anyone out of the country experienced this? I thought the 2IS300 was manual also?
Old 01-31-08, 07:20 PM
06-IS250
Pole Position

I have the exaaaaaaaaaact same problems. Although I have not experienced the "lock out" in some time now...I had it happen to me a few times, very annoying. I just started out in second, killed the clutch.

but that going from 1st to second...bothers me every damn time. It does not happen at really high RPM's...but its almost like a 70% chance of happening just driving normally. I just gave up. anyone finds out the problem, i would LOVE to fix this, as the gears are smooth everywhere, but going from 1st to 2nd.
Old 01-31-08, 07:26 PM
arksun
Driver

Originally Posted by 06-IS250
I have the exaaaaaaaaaact same problems. Although I have not experienced the "lock out" in some time now...I had it happen to me a few times, very annoying. I just started out in second, killed the clutch.
You had to replace your clutch?

Anyways, I bought this car from JM Lexus in South Florida, and they're a very large/reputable dealership. Hopefully I can get them to find a find the next time I am back in South Florida.

Good to know I'm not the only one with these problems.
Old 01-31-08, 08:42 PM
Robs IS250
Lexus Fanatic

same here i do the 2nd to first to get it in gear.. ill ask tommorow at work about it and find out..... see if i get a new tranny =]
Old 02-01-08, 01:24 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

#1....rarely

#2....sometimes...and yes...only happened from 1st to 2nd....other gears are extremely smooth!

I took it to the dealer and have the tech test drove the car.....they said it's normal....the tech says they got 3 synchros (?) for this tranny.....

Some members also complained about the "jar of marbles" sound when you engage the clutch......that happens to me maybe 1 or 2 out of 10 times.......

Last edited by kickin8; 02-01-08 at 01:28 AM.
Old 02-01-08, 01:34 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Originally Posted by mikeho
I've felt the same. I tried to convince the dealership that there was a problem but much like the Aux Port, since there was no TSIB (at the time), they wouldn't fix it. As of now, there still isn't a TSIB on the manual transmission. The problem is that there aren't enough of us to create a stir... and how can we when we're only about 1% of the cars in the US?!

Has anyone out of the country experienced this? I thought the 2IS300 was manual also?
mike: they got one TSIB for 06 only.....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=278660
Old 02-01-08, 08:13 AM
Recluse
Pole Position

I mentioned #1 last time I was at the dealership, but just made sure they noted it in my file.

I've reread this post a few times, and still trying to figure out exactly what y'all are feeling in the #2 problem. Is it hard to engage 2nd gear on a 1-2 shift, or is it just noisy?

I have found that the IS is particular about HOW the 1-2 shift is made.....it REALLY wants it to be straight back. If there's a little pressure to the left, the shift can be kind of noisy, and if there's a LOT of pressure to the left, then it's possible to "miss" the gate to 2nd gear entirely.

This may sound weird, but I rotated my shift **** about 20 degrees to the right to optimize the angle of entry to the 2nd gear gate on the 1-2 shift, and now it's even smoother than it was (and it was already pretty smooth). As it stands, I do the 1-2 shift with one finger (the middle) wrapped around the groove on the shift ****.
Old 02-01-08, 09:12 AM
arksun
Driver

Originally Posted by Recluse
I mentioned #1 last time I was at the dealership, but just made sure they noted it in my file.

I've reread this post a few times, and still trying to figure out exactly what y'all are feeling in the #2 problem. Is it hard to engage 2nd gear on a 1-2 shift, or is it just noisy?

I have found that the IS is particular about HOW the 1-2 shift is made.....it REALLY wants it to be straight back. If there's a little pressure to the left, the shift can be kind of noisy, and if there's a LOT of pressure to the left, then it's possible to "miss" the gate to 2nd gear entirely.

This may sound weird, but I rotated my shift **** about 20 degrees to the right to optimize the angle of entry to the 2nd gear gate on the 1-2 shift, and now it's even smoother than it was (and it was already pretty smooth). As it stands, I do the 1-2 shift with one finger (the middle) wrapped around the groove on the shift ****.
It is noisy (grinding noise), and hard to engage at the same time. It feels as though I'm forcing it into gear and grinding something down there. As I've mentioned, sometimes I can feel something spinning and it is sort of kicking my shifter back out. At high RPMs (4000), these symptoms tend to minimize by a lot. By the way, I've noticed this to occur when I shift into second whether it is from 1-2 or 3-2, but it's not a 100% occurrence rate.

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll focus more on the angle of the force I am applying during my shift next time and see if it alleviates the problem.
Old 02-01-08, 04:28 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kickin8
mike: they got one TSIB for 06 only.....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=278660
Yeah, thanks.. I've already had them replace the transmission oil twice.

I have a feeling though that it has something to do with the oil. I notice that the hardest time to shift is in the morning or in cold weather (cold being about 30-40 F here in NorCal), when the car hasn't quite warmed up yet. As I warm up the car, it gets easier to shift.

I've had my car for 41K miles now and these problems have persisted ever since they did the 15K check up.
Old 12-17-08, 03:43 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

seems like the problem "kinda" goes away after I installed the F-Sport Quickshifter.....

Quick Reply: Weird problems with my 6MT shifter.