IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Looking to buy Lexus ISF Parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-08, 07:41 AM
iameric
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking to buy Lexus ISF Parts

So I've always been thinking about modding out my car a bit but I wasn't able to find any mods that really grew on me, I wanted a short shifter and an aftermarket clutch at least, but since Lexus sells so little IS 250 manuals I've been having some trouble finding some ligament parts that I'd actually feel safe about installing. Anyways I stumbled upon the F Sport line of accessories available for 2IS. My first question is how come the F series is releasing a short throw, when the ISF is an automatic car, then ontop of that it's $500 which is a little pricey for something I don't even know has been heavily tested. Think it's worth buying?
To be honest I'm not real happy with the DT and the transmission in my Lexus IS 250 m, it feels too cheap and delicate, and I really don't ever want to take it hard. I want to try weighting my clutch as well as getting the short throw since I'm pretty sure that make me feel a bit more comfortable with the way my shifts feel. When are these parts actually coming out or have they already been released?
Also if I put on that ISF intake, that again is way overpriced, do you think there'd be any actual power gain that I'd be able to feel?
Since for some god awful reason I got the IS 250 my main purpose isn't to increase power, since from what I've read there's not much power gains from most of the mods done. I just want my car to handle and feel like it should; however, I don't want to void my warranty and now since Lexus is selling parts, I can overpay for them but have legitimate aftermarket parts. For this reason I'm interested in the Carbon Ceramic Brakes, the intake, short throw, sway bar, and ISF clutch, do you think any of these (as long as it's factory installed by the dealership) would void my warranty?
Oh and one more thing, how come the ISF new clutch is only $650? Good clutches for BMWs are atleast a grand, and are there any other alternative aftermarket clutches besides this one?
Thanks for your help!

Last edited by iameric; 02-01-08 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-01-08, 07:52 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$650 is probably for the "clutch plate" itself and does not include any gaskets or other hardware.
Old 02-01-08, 09:18 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!!

IS-F the car and F-Sport Performance Parts, only share the "F" in their names.

The F-Sport parts are parts designed to work on the IS250, IS350 and a few for the IS-F..

Try not to look at as IS-F Parts for your IS250...

That is not the case..

Joe Z
Old 02-01-08, 10:50 AM
iameric
Driver

my bad I mean F-Sport parts not ISF
I like the new F-Sport parts and would like to install some of them on my car, I'm glad Lexus released these so I can now modify my car and still keep the warranty. However, I don't want to buy overpriced parts for my car to find out they're ineffective, useless, or faulty. So I'm a bit skeptical about Lexus's first gen of of mods, especially the short shifter. Lexus only has 1 manual car, I don't really know how much experience they have in transmissions much less experience in transmission mods... doesn't anyone understand where I'm coming from? Did anybody heard about any testing for these mods being done? or were you all as surprised as I was to see these F-Sport pars.

Last edited by iameric; 02-01-08 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-01-08, 11:01 AM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

first of all those are not the official prices, we are not gonna know the official prices until they go out in sale on march. second, those are MSRP prices, prices will vary from dealer to dealer. Im sure carson and swell lexus will make group buys for us at a discount price.
Old 02-01-08, 11:47 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iameric
my bad I mean F-Sport parts not ISF
I like the new F-Sport parts and would like to install some of them on my car, I'm glad Lexus released these so I can now modify my car and still keep the warranty. However, I don't want to buy overpriced parts for my car to find out they're ineffective, useless, or faulty. So I'm a bit skeptical about Lexus's first gen of of mods, especially the short shifter. Lexus only has 1 manual car, I don't really know how much experience they have in transmissions much less experience in transmission mods... doesn't anyone understand where I'm coming from? Did anybody heard about any testing for these mods being done? or were you all as surprised as I was to see these F-Sport pars.
Well, there are two ways to look at this:

The first is that Lexus isn't serious about manuals, hence the fact that the IS250 got saddled with a warmed over truck transmission on a luxury/sport sedan. So what, if anything, makes one think the mods for such a transmission will be any less half-baked?

The second way to view it is the short shifter kit is fairly cheap and likely not that expensive or hard to install to see if it improves things a bit. However, all the classic bugbears of this box (ie hard it get into first when stopped, rough shift into second gear and marbles in a can sound) obviously aren't addressed in any way by a short shifter kit. I'm sure Toyota/Lexus tested these F-parts although you could wait and let some other brave soul do some "beta testing" for you and give you some idea what, if anything, they do for the transmissions throw length.

Last edited by CRB; 02-01-08 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-01-08, 12:31 PM
Fearlessfx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CRB
The second way to view it is the short shifter kit is fairly cheap and likely not that expensive or hard to install to see if it improves things a bit. However, all the classic bugbears of this box (ie hard it get into first when stopped, rough shift into second gear and marbles in a can sound) obviously aren't addressed in any way by a short shifter kit.
so true, getting my car into first is as difficult as it was on my 1990 integra.

The gearbox is actually the only foible that I have with my car. After driving a friend's CSX type S and RSX type S and then driving my IS I feel like Toyota really dropped the ball on their manual tranny. Toyota might be renowned for their quality and reliability but they should honestly take a page out of Honda's book and get to work on building a worthy manual transmission for the IS.

anyway i digress. hopefully someone will get a short shifter kit on CL and see if it helps at all with any of these problems.
Old 02-01-08, 04:23 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fearlessfx
anyway i digress. hopefully someone will get a short shifter kit on CL and see if it helps at all with any of these problems.
I plan on getting it when it comes out. March 2008, if I remember the release date correctly.
Old 02-01-08, 06:58 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

theres a group buy for the is f taillights..
Old 02-01-08, 09:34 PM
IAMJAVEDG
Lexus Champion

lexus is toyota.. and toyota has historyyyy with manual tranny's.. its just that lexus is the luxury line.. they wanted to keep it strictly luxury... which is why only manual tranny's they ever released were in the SC300, IS300 and IS250

IMO a tranny swap isn't really worth it.. the auto tranny isn't so bad.. once some sort of ecu mod comes out either a reflash or a piggy back.. the car will have more potential for some more power..
Old 02-03-08, 11:59 AM
ethan01
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I am so happy that Lexus is made by toyota, much more reliable. My friend owns this site and said he will be able to get some deals on some ISF Parts .
Old 02-03-08, 12:09 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by i3urton
theres a group buy for the is f taillights..
The OP was talking about "F-Sport Performance Parts"

Looks like we need a Thread Title Edit here...

Joe Z
Old 02-05-08, 10:45 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I am interested in both items too.....and yes, $650 sounds like just the clutch plate only.....

it cost $$$$$$$$$$$ to replace the clutch (if you take it to the dealer).....