Seeking Legal adivice

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-08, 10:33 PM
Signal_jp
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking Legal adivice

whats up guys,

here is my dilemma, so you guys saw the recent pics i posted up of my work vs-xx with the stretch falken tires. i had my buddies shop mount and balance the tires. when i was installing the wheels on the car, the front driver wheel tire was backwards, facing the wrong way. i told him ill drive around for a few days with the tires backwards and come back anther day for them to unmount and remount the tire the right direction. well after they remounted the rim, it started to leak air. i thought i had a hole in the tire so i took it to reputable tire shop to repair it.

they said there was no hole or no puncture but it was leaking air through the seals where the tire and rim meet. they said they would re-seal it for me and it was $10, done deal right, WRONG!

the next day, the tire deflated again, so i took it back, and asked them to fix it again and they said they would be glad to free of charge because they should have done it right the first time. well, the next day, tire deflated AGAIN! i took the wheel back for a third time, i said do what you have to do, whatever it cost ill pay for it, even a new tire if i have to. i droped it off and left it with them for 2 days.

came back 2 days later to pick up the wheels and they said they fixed it and it was holding air for the past 8 hours and Psi was consistent. took the wheel home and mounted it back on my IS. i didnt drive the car for maybe a day, cause i had went out of town. on my way back home, i had let my g/f drive the car around to do some errands.

8pm, yesterday she calls me and says your tires fell off, i said "what do you mean they fell off?" she said "it gone, theres no tire, it ripped off your rim"

the first thought in my mind was my WORK VS-XX scraping the ground with no rubber on the freeway and second, who am i going to blame? luckily she had pulled over to the side of the freeway, i went out there, put the spare on and drove the IS home.

my question is, now what? should i sue the tire shop for not mounting the tire correctly or should i blame my friends shop who originally mounted the tires on the wheels? i feel that they(tire shop) are liable because they were the last to touch the wheel and they should have fixed the problem the first time.

all i really want is to have my rim repaired because im not going to wait another 3 months for ONE wheel and two, they replace my falken tire for free.

what do you guys think?

pics of wheel will be posted later..
Old 02-03-08, 10:46 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

First let me preface my comments by saying that getting legal advice on an Internet automotive forum is a dubious proposition at best.

I don't think suing anyone over a tire, even one damaged from an improper install (unless it caused damage to persons or property while failing) is the right course of action. I would look at the wheel/tire fitment speced carefully and have it approved by somebody knowledgeable who doesn't have a vested interest because something sounds strange here. It would seem that you have a standing offer from the place that improperly mounted the tire to buy you a new one, I would go that route.

I offer that as common sense advice and not legal advice.

Last edited by CRB; 02-03-08 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-03-08, 10:52 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

your problem lies with the 'tire shop' not your friend... ALTHOUGH... you should gone to your friends shop in the first place to have him remount the tire instead of the 'tire shop'... man that totally sux... one more thing... you let the other woman drive, im sure lexi got jealous at that
Old 02-03-08, 10:55 PM
Signal_jp
Lead Lap

no, i did have my friends shop remount the tire the right the direction. it was after that, maybe a few days after the remount the i saw the tire was deflating. that is when i took the wheel to the tire shop to fix the leak.
Old 02-03-08, 10:59 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Signal_jp
no, i did have my friends shop remount the tire the right the direction. it was after that, maybe a few days after the remount the i saw the tire was deflating. that is when i took the wheel to the tire shop to fix the leak.
Oh... well its still the 'tire shop' who is liable. Didnt you go with a killer stretch too? 215 f/235 r?
Old 02-03-08, 11:04 PM
Signal_jp
Lead Lap

yeup. but if it was the stretch that caused the tire to leak air, wouldnt all 4 wheels have a problem instead of just the one?
Old 02-03-08, 11:05 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

what did the shop say ?
will they take responsibility?

I dont know i would ask them to fix it and mount a new tire. good luck
Old 02-03-08, 11:07 PM
Signal_jp
Lead Lap

im heading to the shop monday morning to speak to the owner.

like i stated, i just wanted rim repairs (not bad, no dents, just scatches) and a new falken tire.
Old 02-04-08, 07:10 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think you really have much you can complain about since it sounds like your wheels are too wide for your tires. Consider yourself lucky that only 1 of your tires is going flat.
Old 02-04-08, 07:14 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

stretched tires?

/thread
Old 02-04-08, 07:16 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
I don't think you really have much you can complain about since it sounds like your wheels are too wide for your tires. Consider yourself lucky that only 1 of your tires is going flat.
+1, think that's the risk you took when you ran a super-stretched tire.
Old 02-04-08, 07:25 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Super Stretched tires are your issue. The base of the rim is too wide for this tire and you will continue to have problems in the future. You should research some tire brands that have been successful with maintaining a compressed bead and have better rigidity dealing with these particular wheels. Post some pics and specs of the rim width if possible.
Old 02-04-08, 09:55 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
+1, think that's the risk you took when you ran a super-stretched tire.
This is true you did run the risk ALSO the tire shop and your friends shop shoulda at least known better too. I run 225f/245r General UMP, if you have stretch questions PM REV-01 as he is very knowledgeable when it comes to the VIP scene.
Old 02-04-08, 10:26 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

damn i really liked your rims too on your car...i'm sorry to hear
Old 02-04-08, 11:23 AM
Signal_jp
Lead Lap

its alright, the lexus will live another day. wheel is in the ship awaiting a new tire. she'll be up and running in no time.

iv come to realized theres not much i can do. i did take the risk when selecting tire size and that was my fault but i did feel that the tire shop shoulda fixed the problem the first time without having me come back 3 times.

Quick Reply: Seeking Legal adivice