IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

uninspired clock

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-08, 06:11 PM
proximal
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Analog clocks in cars are a terrible idea. A digital readout can be read much more quickly. That's not to say the IS's couldn't be better looking, but thumbs up for keeping it digital.

The gear lever indicator on the console is far worse if you're talking about things shared with 1980s Corollas.
Old 02-07-08, 07:31 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

All I can say is WOW!! I'm actually stunned at how many people "think" it's easier to "read" a digital clock than analog. They couldn't be more wrong. You actually have to read the digits like text to process the numbers. A opposed to analog, where you can, with just a glance, tell what time it is. Like looking at a picture. These are scientifically proven facts.
Old 02-07-08, 07:42 PM
SpaceCadet
Driver

I think lexus should contract with B&W for their sound system and use the nautilus tweeter design as the clock.
Old 02-07-08, 08:45 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
All I can say is WOW!! I'm actually stunned at how many people "think" it's easier to "read" a digital clock than analog. They couldn't be more wrong. You actually have to read the digits like text to process the numbers. A opposed to analog, where you can, with just a glance, tell what time it is. Like looking at a picture. These are scientifically proven facts.
Definitely agree with you on this one.

Same thing with digital gauges: it's harder to read the number and process it vs. just looking at a proportional ring to see where the needle is.
Old 02-07-08, 09:04 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

The analog is faster because people don't take the time to read it as accurately. I just looked at my analog watch, and without thinking realized "it's just past midnight". Then I looked at my digital clock and saw it was 12:02. If it was important for me to know whether it was 12:02 or 12:03, the digital clock would have been faster.
Old 02-07-08, 09:19 PM
Fearlessfx
Pole Position

A bvlgari clock would be baller
Old 02-07-08, 09:54 PM
IS-MIKE
Driver

Originally Posted by ReLexin
I want a rolex installed in the dash. Ballin
If we had that then you we would have people breaking in to pry the Rolex out.

But that would be cool to have the Rolex Crown Edition Lexus IS350 and have the Crown emblem, maybe put it after the IS350 on the back or on the side where they put that stupid X for the Aussie IS250X edition.

Would you have to wind the clock? or maybe it would be self winding.
Old 02-07-08, 10:14 PM
VF84
Pole Position

Is is just me, or has this topic been discussed to death.
guess i missed it. just thought they'd gone a little farther than raiding the 90's toyota parts bin
Old 02-07-08, 10:40 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

how cool can you actually make a clock look? as long as it keeps time it doesnt matter.........
Old 02-07-08, 11:21 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's simple and clear, I like it. But the LS have that clock too, it needs changing for the LS. but on the IS, it looks fine.
Old 02-08-08, 04:20 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kattanh3
took this pic of my friend's porsche just to tease you guys
That's cool. But personally, I don't want inspiration from my clock. I want to be able to read it. I hate the Inifiniti clocks.
Old 02-08-08, 04:21 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
The analog is faster because people don't take the time to read it as accurately. I just looked at my analog watch, and without thinking realized "it's just past midnight". Then I looked at my digital clock and saw it was 12:02. If it was important for me to know whether it was 12:02 or 12:03, the digital clock would have been faster.
Well, that's an excellent point. And a major difference when I'm speeding to catch the train.
Old 02-08-08, 05:07 AM
meefer
Lead Lap

Digital is better when precision is required. Whether you need to-the-minute precision while driving is a matter of personal preference.

I don't mind digital, but in a Lexus, would it be too much to ask for an OLED or transflective display so the thing didn't totally wash out in sunlight? Hell if they removed it altogether and just integrated the damn thing into the display for the A/C or nav that'd be fine too.
Old 02-08-08, 07:02 AM
ByoungWoo
Lead Lap

...it's a freakin' clock.
Old 02-08-08, 07:38 AM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

I am happy that our digital watch is not green as in all previous lexus cars that i have encountered (& the current ES for some reason) <- that looked butt ugly and reminds me of old cressida *puke*

Originally Posted by Rashoodz
it's simple and clear, I like it. But the LS have that clock too, it needs changing for the LS. but on the IS, it looks fine.
I agree, it makes sense to keep them digital in our cars. i know i am the sort of person that cares about the minutes (like getting to work etc.) however LS owners might be more chilled and need just a rough estimation lol (mostly business owners or other positions where you wouldn't get someone breathing down your neck)

Quick Reply: uninspired clock