IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Aftermarket navigation install questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-08, 01:20 PM
Sgt_K
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket navigation install questions.

Ok, I have been looking around this site for a few days now trying to get as much information on how to install a aftermarket navigation system in my non Nav 250. Some of the information I was unable to find using the “search” function, so sorry if this has already been addressed. I am a firm believer in doing everything myself when it comes to my cars so taking it to a shop is not going to happen. I have looked at a few very interesting posts on this subject already and I am confident I can tackle this project with just a little more information.

-First off, how does the stock CD changer come out of the car? Does anyone have a guide to remove it safely without doing any damage to the plastic?

-Second, in these posts https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=259251 , https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...le+din+install ,they talk about removing the “main board” from the stock CD changer and leaving it plugged in so all the stock radio controls will remain functional. Does anyone know what card this is? Is there more than one card? Where did they mount the card? Did they mount in something to prevent it from shorting out from the elements or arcing off the frame of the dashboard?

-Third. When it comes to wiring the unit up, if the stock circuit card is still being utilized how can the aftermarket unit be wired into it without screwing something up. Is it just a matter of splicing into the wire harness and having them both hooked up, or just disconnecting the wires from the harness and using what is needed?

-Fourth. To mount the unit is there anything special needed, or dose the mount bracket that comes with the head unit work with the stock mounts?

Once I get all the logistics worked out for doing the install I will be making a complete guide for doing the install step by step with a lot of pictures to go with it. In the end I plan on adding a back up camera with a possible night vision capability, a second monitor in the back seat arm rest so my kid can watch movies on the road, and if I really wanted to get crazy I was thinking about adding a third screen on the dash for a HUD “heads up display” map set up.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-07-08, 01:42 PM
kiddolay
Rookie

Talking

I am trying to do the same thing. I just ordered my Avic Z2 today so I cannot assist you yet on the installation.

From what I hear, you do not need a special mount but the sides are going to be showing. You can find additional pictures at my.is forum.

The circuit board, does not utilize the audio wiring harness so there is no problem there. Someone said they put it right above the HU but its hard to say where you can really put it unless you have opened it yourself. I am sorry I cannot provide all the links because I read a lot of things these couple of days and I have lost track of them.

To open up the dash, I am planning on following the instructions from this PDF file: LINK

I am also planning to install a rear view camera and that, I have no idea where or how I am going to get it installed. I am hesitant to drill holes in my car :P

Once I start my install, I am also planning on making a step by step instruction. Its good that we are doing this around the same time. PM me so we can help each other during this painful time.

Last edited by kiddolay; 02-20-08 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-07-08, 02:01 PM
Sgt_K
Driver

Thanks for the info. Its good to know about the eclipse unit and that it plugs right in, I was thinking about geting either that unit or the Kenwood DXN 7100. I still think I am going to get the kenwood because I played around with both units and also the Pioneer Z2, but the price is a little to high on the pioneer for me. With the rear veiw cam, I was thinking of putting it on the rear shelf by the third brake light or mouning it up high on the rear head liner, my reasining behind this is that I would be able to see more if it up higher.
Old 02-07-08, 02:20 PM
kiddolay
Rookie

I really wish I could see a picture of someone who has had a rear camera installed on their ISx50. I just bought the Z2 + BT + IPOD + Camera for $1375 including shipping from Ebay. Granted its Ebay but 99.4% customer rating out of 5K isn't too worrisome. I hear Kenwood ones are very popular too. I am hoping that the harness from Crutchfield will work effortlessly. Otherwise, I am going to have to make my own custom adapter.
Old 02-07-08, 02:28 PM
Sgt_K
Driver

By the way, that first link for the wire harness isnt working. Do you have a part number or something.
Old 02-07-08, 02:31 PM
kiddolay
Rookie

Fixed the link. I cannot guarantee that the harness works completely. It is just from my research online; not hands-on research. ITEM DOES NOT WORK!!!

Last edited by kiddolay; 02-20-08 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-18-08, 07:42 AM
kiddolay
Rookie

I did the install this weekend! It works great. I have the pictures but I'll have to post them later from home (at work currently). My only computer (laptop) does not work because my power adapter smoked up so I ordered a new one. As soon as that comes in, I'll post all the DIY info for the Z2 installation.
Old 02-19-08, 02:28 PM
Sgt_K
Driver

Awesome, I cant wait to see what You did.
Old 02-19-08, 02:40 PM
yoitsdanny
Driver School Candidate

i cant believe no one in florida has done this, i would pay someone in florida who has done it to their car to do it on mine.
Old 02-20-08, 08:15 AM
kiddolay
Rookie

Default ;)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=337244