IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Front Fog Lights being REALLY Hot.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-08 | 04:32 PM
loftus112
Pole Position

Default Front Fog Lights being REALLY Hot.

I was wondering if ya'll have the same problem after about close to an hr or an hr of the fog lights being turn on. If you touch the external front lens/cover, it's really hot. Is that normal? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-07-08 | 04:33 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

yes, stop touching them.
Old 02-07-08 | 04:36 PM
weesped
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iKenn
yes, stop touching them.
Old 02-07-08 | 04:44 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

And make sure the car is shifted in Park...
Old 02-07-08 | 04:59 PM
loftus112
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
And make sure the car is shifted in Park...
This is not a stupid n00b question. The reason why I open this tread because the driver side fog light actually caught on fire on me before and I had to replace the whole lighting unit (thank GOD for car insurance). Now even with the oem bulbs put back, I've notice it's really hot after a certain time of usage. No wonder it caught on fire as intially I thought the MTEC bulbs were the primary cause due to poor quality.
Old 02-07-08 | 05:17 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

yes it gets VERY VERY HOT while installing my HID fogs i turned it on for 15 secs touched the bulb and it burnt me! luckily theres carpet in my garage i could have broke the bulb when i dropped it :/ lol
Old 02-07-08 | 05:47 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by loftus112
This is not a stupid n00b question.
I'm sorry if I sounded condescending. I meant no offense; I was being foolish.

I did not know of your situation before. Yes, the bulbs get hot. It should not be hot enough to catch on fire.

When it happened the first time, did you just change the fog light housing, or did they change all the wiring to the housing as well? Perhaps there was a manufacturing defect that caused the fire?
Old 02-07-08 | 10:04 PM
meefer
Lead Lap

Whoa - that sounds like not the bulb's problem. I dunno, I have left on my fogs the entire time when I drive, 45mins to an hour one way for my commute. I never touch my housing, but nothing's ever lit on fire before either.

I'm going to echo Philip's advice - replacing the housing won't do jack.

Oh and I'll go touch my fog light housing tonight just to check.
Old 02-07-08 | 10:18 PM
Jay.Diem
Pole Position

The reason why I open this tread because the driver side fog light actually caught on fire on me before and I had to replace the whole lighting unit (thank GOD for car insurance). Now even with the oem bulbs put back, I've notice it's really hot after a certain time of usage. No wonder it caught on fire as intially I thought the MTEC bulbs were the primary cause due to poor quality.

Wow, that is crazy... I've heard of wire harnesses catching on fire, but never the bulbs themselves....

Sorry for your troubles...

How many watts and which product line were the MTECs?
Old 02-08-08 | 04:20 AM
stvn
Pole Position

wow it caught on fire!
Old 02-08-08 | 09:39 AM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aragorn
Wow, that is crazy... I've heard of wire harnesses catching on fire, but never the bulbs themselves....

Sorry for your troubles...

How many watts and which product line were the MTECs?
I have never heard that either. I have MTECs on my camaro and they are hotter then the normal PIAA's i have in my IS. My MTECs are 4350K and my PIAA are 4000K

Keep in mind the bulbs get really hot. That is why you shouldnt touch the bulb with your fingers before you install them. The oil on your fingers will crystalize and shatter the bulb.
Old 02-08-08 | 10:25 AM
loftus112
Pole Position

Yea, I had those 4000k MTECs installed for over a year myself and I definitely did not touch the bulbs with my fingers as I know that will shorten the life span. I felt really bad for my insurance co cuz they had to cough out over $9k to fix all the damages cause by the fog light fire (all electrical wiring, harnesses, housing, repainting, etc etc).

I'm thinking it shouldn't be right/normal to be soo hot as I come to realize I'm not the only one to have this problem right? Is this just an 2genIS thing or what, had 2 other cars before and did not have this problem whatsoever.
Old 02-08-08 | 10:43 AM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

I dont think i have heard this before. My PIAAs have been on for 3 hours with no problems. might have been a defective bulb is all.
Old 02-08-08 | 10:44 AM
trio
Driver

i'm sure that if it was a common issue, a lot of more posts would have been made and i would assume Lexus would do something about it. things catching fire just shouldn't happen.
Old 02-08-08 | 03:36 PM
Jay.Diem
Pole Position

Yea, I had those 4000k MTECs installed for over a year myself and I definitely did not touch the bulbs with my fingers as I know that will shorten the life span. I felt really bad for my insurance co cuz they had to cough out over $9k to fix all the damages cause by the fog light fire (all electrical wiring, harnesses, housing, repainting, etc etc).
Hmmm... is it possible the insulation around the wires got so hot (because of too much current being pulled through harness) that may have caused the fire? If this is true, then I would bet those MTECs bulbs just got faulty on you.

As far as the fog light housing being too hot, that is understandable. Halogen bulbs uses quartz material instead of glass like your conventional household light bulb. Quartz can withstand MUCH higher temperatures, but will emitt more heat than your standard glass bulbs.

Try touching your 60W light bulb after it's been on for an hour...it will be hot, but have no fear , it won't combust

Quick Reply: Front Fog Lights being REALLY Hot.