IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New to Club Lex - IS Special Order Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-08 | 10:42 AM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

Default New to Club Lex - IS Special Order Question

Hi Everyone! Im new to Club Lexus. I've been reading some of the posts and you all have such a wealth of knowledge that I was wondering if someone would be able to help me out.

Im purchasing an IS350 next year (Jan '09). Is there an additional charge for a special order on an IS350? Or just a standard security desposit on the vehicle? I was wondering how much of a security desposit Lexus would want? and im sure its non-refundable.

Thanks everyone.

- Rich
Long Island, NY
Old 02-11-08 | 10:54 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

I Think:

-No extra fee, except that some dealers won't deal as much on special orders.
-The deposit depends on the dealership, but I've seen 1k or so.
-I believe the deposit gets applied to your downpayment upon receipt of car.
Old 02-11-08 | 11:02 AM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ML86
Hi Everyone! Im new to Club Lexus. I've been reading some of the posts and you all have such a wealth of knowledge that I was wondering if someone would be able to help me out.

Im purchasing an IS350 next year (Jan '09). Is there an additional charge for a special order on an IS350? Or just a standard security desposit on the vehicle? I was wondering how much of a security desposit Lexus would want? and im sure its non-refundable.

Thanks everyone.

- Rich
Long Island, NY
Just curious....why a special order?
Old 02-11-08 | 11:05 AM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

Oh, because I want to get the:

IS350 Starfire Pearl/Black
With Lux package, Navi & M. Levinson System. I dont believe that many dealerships have it in the color combo i want with the Lev System.
Old 02-11-08 | 11:13 AM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

You would be surprised...I would go to your local Lexus dealer and ask about that combo....if he doesnt have one, he can do a search in the system for one and see where one is in the US...
Old 02-11-08 | 11:19 AM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

I suppose thats true, although I have inquired about it previously with several reps from Lexus and they informed me that it is a special order because they said that the M. Levinson is only available if a customer specifically asks for it. Maybe they dont know what they're talking about
Old 02-11-08 | 11:25 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

And if you order your car on October '08 for January '09 delivery, you should be getting the "revamped" MY'09, which means that the car may have new grill, wheels, head/taillights, different wood trims/options, etc...
Old 02-11-08 | 11:30 AM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ML86
I suppose thats true, although I have inquired about it previously with several reps from Lexus and they informed me that it is a special order because they said that the M. Levinson is only available if a customer specifically asks for it. Maybe they dont know what they're talking about
Hmmm....thats odd..one of the most popular options only available as special order....I would bet that 50-75% of all IS350s come with ML...I know someone who bought a new 06 off the lot, with Nav/ML, and Lux package...it was White/Cashmere. If Lexus is like other dealers, and I woudl assume they are...all the cars they have on the lots ARE special orders...the dealer will order them equipped a certain way from the factory....thats why at initial release, they are usually FULLY loaded...the demand is high and they can sell an fully optioned car at retail...more profit. As demand dies down, they order them in more configurations and less optioned as price makes a difference...So every car on the lot, the dealer has made a choice on what options they have. In a certain area, if price is REALLY an issue, they will have cars with less options....in other areas if price isnt an issue, they will have cars with more options...If people are cross shopping against a Benz or BMW, then the M Levi system is a selling point as its the best system on the market. To answer your original question, $1k deposit, refundable depends on the car you order, if its VERY unique then they may make in non refundable because they may have a hard time selling the car if you cancel. Some states make it illegal for them to keep a deposit...so it varies. Its applied to the car, and they usually deal far less on orders.
Old 02-11-08 | 11:49 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaWhole9
Hmmm....thats odd..one of the most popular options only available as special order....I would bet that 50-75% of all IS350s come with ML...I know someone who bought a new 06 off the lot, with Nav/ML, and Lux package...it was White/Cashmere. If Lexus is like other dealers, and I woudl assume they are...all the cars they have on the lots ARE special orders...the dealer will order them equipped a certain way from the factory....thats why at initial release, they are usually FULLY loaded...the demand is high and they can sell an fully optioned car at retail...more profit. As demand dies down, they order them in more configurations and less optioned as price makes a difference...So every car on the lot, the dealer has made a choice on what options they have. In a certain area, if price is REALLY an issue, they will have cars with less options....in other areas if price isnt an issue, they will have cars with more options...If people are cross shopping against a Benz or BMW, then the M Levi system is a selling point as its the best system on the market. To answer your original question, $1k deposit, refundable depends on the car you order, if its VERY unique then they may make in non refundable because they may have a hard time selling the car if you cancel. Some states make it illegal for them to keep a deposit...so it varies. Its applied to the car, and they usually deal far less on orders.
it's more like 5-7% on the east coast. I wanted it, had dealers look, but wasn't willing to wait. When I was looking there were almost NO ML 350's up and down the east coast.
Old 02-11-08 | 12:46 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, ML is a lot less common than you would think...

The way Lexus does their 'on the lot' cars is they have certain packages/configurations they think will be popular in given regions, and that's what they ship to those regions.

At any of my local dealerships for example there are zero cars with ML (or were when I shopped). There were also zero cars with the sports package. In fact my 08 special order was the first sports package IS they had -ever- seen.

Anyway, to the original poster-

As noted you'll be getting an 09, the good news is since you don't plan to order until October the changes, if any, for 09 will be well known by then, and you'll even be able to see 09s on the lot (they arrive end of sept/start of oct typically).

If a dealership tried to charge you more for a special order, find a better dealership- there's simply no reason they should want to screw you when you're walking in and offering them a guaranteed sale/profit just for them filling out some papers.
Old 02-11-08 | 12:53 PM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

ohhhh man you guys should see lexus of bellevue oddles and oodles of ML and 350 just sitting on the lot Theres too many to even count. The reason why they want you to special order is to make you deal less. If you special order then they say well its a rare car. I know they have them stored somewhere Most of the time special order is for like the radar cruise because most is dont come with it
Old 02-11-08 | 01:03 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

usually it's a $500 refundable deposit....good luck and keep us posted....
Old 02-11-08 | 01:06 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Geez, why ask these questions now?!? Things will change with Lexus and likely yourself in that time. I could be wrong, but I'm willing to bet you won't be getting one then.

PS. Feel free to ping me in Jan '09 if I'm wrong .
Old 02-11-08 | 02:10 PM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

Dont worry I will get it come next year. I really am getting it for my 23rd birthday and Im putting $20,000 down on the car. Which will leave my monthly payments pretty low for a 60month finance.

I will def. post pics up once I get the IS350!! and will certainly be asking my IS buddies for help with some mods
Old 02-11-08 | 02:52 PM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
it's more like 5-7% on the east coast. I wanted it, had dealers look, but wasn't willing to wait. When I was looking there were almost NO ML 350's up and down the east coast.
Maybe its a West Coast thing...my local dealer has TONS of ML cars....

Quick Reply: New to Club Lex - IS Special Order Question