IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Not getting deposit back

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-08, 07:39 PM
GS3.0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have let my lawyer have a field day with this. Nothing pisses me off more than dealerships who are unethical in their business tactics to close a sale. First, I would never bring my business to that dealership again. Second, you have every right to get your full deposit back. I would have probably caused a scene @ the stealership the next day after that kind of response/treatment from the sales person.... and thats after being polite and apologizing for changing your mind. Know your rights...get your money back.
Old 02-12-08, 07:47 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3.0
I would have let my lawyer have a field day with this. Nothing pisses me off more than dealerships who are unethical in their business tactics to close a sale. First, I would never bring my business to that dealership again. Second, you have every right to get your full deposit back. I would have probably caused a scene @ the stealership the next day after that kind of response/treatment from the sales person.... and thats after being polite and apologizing for changing your mind. Know your rights...get your money back.
Right--but your lawyer will write a letter and make 2 phone calls and you've just spent that $500 he'll get back for you.
Old 02-12-08, 07:51 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
Forget apologizing, you were wronged here. The reason they're dragging their feet is probably because they know they can just boss you around. Give them a call and say you're going to be contacting the BBB and local media outlets if you aren't refunded your money immediately.

Sometimes you just have to make a stink
They are trying to f---- you for $500, IMAGINE what they'd try to do to you if you spent $35G's to buy the car?? What kind of shenanigans they'd try to slip by you in the paper work. I'd call the GM, tell him what's going on, tell him that this BS only proves you were right not to buy a car from these guys, and all the complaints and web postings you are going to file, naming names.

I bet you'll get your $$ back pretty quick.
Old 02-12-08, 07:54 PM
GS3.0
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tex2670
Right--but your lawyer will write a letter and make 2 phone calls and you've just spent that $500 he'll get back for you.
You're right, but not if you lawyer is your highschool buddy.

Either way, im going to bet that he's gonna get his money back.
Old 02-12-08, 08:04 PM
termigator
Rookie

They are trying to f---- you for $500, IMAGINE what they'd try to do to you if you spent $35G's to buy the car?? What kind of shenanigans they'd try to slip by you in the paper work. I'd call the GM, tell him what's going on, tell him that this BS only proves you were right not to buy a car from these guys, and all the complaints and web postings you are going to file, naming names.

I bet you'll get your $$ back pretty quick.
You're absolutely right, of course. I hate confrontations, but I guess I'm going to have to do it on this one.
Old 02-12-08, 08:12 PM
termigator
Rookie

I already tried the lawyer route (ie. neighbor's lawyer). That not only proved to be a dead end but actually quite damaging to my plight.
Old 02-12-08, 08:22 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by termigator
I already tried the lawyer route (ie. neighbor's lawyer). That not only proved to be a dead end but actually quite damaging to my plight.
You told your neighbor and he told his lawyer. Somewhere in there the story probably got a little jumbled. You need to get your deposit back.
Old 02-12-08, 08:25 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You'll get lots of advice here, but it is only worth what you paid for it ...... Zero. In the real world you actually made a verbal contract to buy that car, and put down a deposit. From your original post you said, "The "internet manager" offered me an 07' TL-S for $33,500. Too good of a deal to seemingly pass up, I decided to go for it and put down a $500 deposit through my credit card." At that point you bought yourself a car. Now you are trying to renege and walk away. The dealer could actually turn around and sue YOU for breaking the contract. They won't, of course, because it isn't worth the time and effort to pursue you and make you complete the sale. They are trying to hold the deposit to make you come around and complete the sale. You can't blame them, they work hard to sell cars, and once an agreement is made between purchaser and seller they just want to complete the sale and move on, that's why there is no 'buyers remorse or cooling off period' in car contracts. You'll get your money back because neither party wants to actually force the issue with legal action. But don't treat verbal agreements so lightly in the future. A contract is a contract, doesn't matter whether it is verbal or 20 pages long. That is one reason why I won't go into a dealer to 'just browse', it is too easy to get sucked in to a negotiation and before you know it you wind up with a new vehicle. That's how the car business operates, they entice you in, spin your head around and make you feel you really need and want that car, and bingo, you're explaining to your wife why you have a new car.

Last edited by Evitzee; 02-12-08 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-12-08, 08:41 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
That is one reason why I won't go into a dealer to 'just browse', it is too easy to get sucked in to a negotiation and before you know it you wind up with a new vehicle. That's how the car business operates, they entice you in, spin your head around and make you feel you really need and want that car, and bingo, you're explaining to your wife why you have a new car.
Once I read that I remembered that lady who couldn't afford the lease in the car chat forum because the dealer inflated her income to get her approved.
Old 02-13-08, 04:34 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

You're absolutely right, of course. I hate confrontations, but I guess I'm going to have to do it on this one.
well--it's good practice when you are totally in the right
Old 02-13-08, 04:35 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

You'll get lots of advice here, but it is only worth what you paid for it ...... Zero. In the real world you actually made a verbal contract to buy that car, and put down a deposit. From your original post you said, "The "internet manager" offered me an 07' TL-S for $33,500. Too good of a deal to seemingly pass up, I decided to go for it and put down a $500 deposit through my credit card." At that point you bought yourself a car. Now you are trying to renege and walk away. The dealer could actually turn around and sue YOU for breaking the contract. They won't, of course, because it isn't worth the time and effort to pursue you and make you complete the sale. They are trying to hold the deposit to make you come around and complete the sale. You can't blame them, they work hard to sell cars, and once an agreement is made between purchaser and seller they just want to complete the sale and move on, that's why there is no 'buyers remorse or cooling off period' in car contracts. You'll get your money back because neither party wants to actually force the issue with legal action. But don't treat verbal agreements so lightly in the future. A contract is a contract, doesn't matter whether it is verbal or 20 pages long. That is one reason why I won't go into a dealer to 'just browse', it is too easy to get sucked in to a negotiation and before you know it you wind up with a new vehicle. That's how the car business operates, they entice you in, spin your head around and make you feel you really need and want that car, and bingo, you're explaining to your wife why you have a new car.
this could not be further from the truth. and even if it were the case, no court would enforce a "verbal" contract with an individual consumer for the purchase of a $35k item.
Old 02-13-08, 05:19 AM
Foodplz
Driver

this could not be further from the truth. and even if it were the case, no court would enforce a "verbal" contract with an individual consumer for the purchase of a $35k item.
exactly. statute of frauds under the UCC states that all contracts for the sale of goods over $500 must be in writing.

Go get your money back. Unless you actually filled out a purchase contract or signed your name on any paper declaring you would purchase the car... you are straight.
Old 02-13-08, 10:26 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Where are you getting your information from? What you are saying is not correct. Have you even bought a new car before? He didn't even sign a contract but that would not matter anyway. Dealerships pull the bait and switch all the time including my example in my previous post. They said they had the car I wanted on another lot or could get the car I wanted in a week for $500 over invoice. I gave the dealership a $2000 deposit and signed some paperwork. Then they called me and tried to sell me a color I didn't want for $250 under invoice after I told them I found another dealer that had the car I wanted for $100 over invoice and that I wanted my deposit back and got it with no hassles. My friend is a GM and said they cannot keep your money, period. The only thing going on here is a salesman trying to use a scare tactic to this guy.
Old 02-13-08, 12:18 PM
cmdace18
Driver

pretty funny stuff here ...

my sales associate didn't want a deposit from me .. he said that the dealerships have no legal right to any deposit at all ...so its pointless to ask or take one..... he once had a guy give a $10,000 deposit and the next week changed his mind - lexus gave it right back to him.
Old 02-13-08, 12:20 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The bottom line is the dealer will break your ***** for awhile and then give you a deposit back.

Quick Reply: Not getting deposit back