IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Not getting deposit back

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-08, 10:04 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
That's all well and good. But the dealer has the money, so you'll have to either persuade him to credit your card, or initiate a chargeback through your CC company yourself. Either way, it will cost you some time and effort. For $500 it is probably worth it, but in the big scheme it is about 1.5% of the original pruchase price. You'll have to weigh how much effort is warranted in pursuing this in case they don't see it your way. In the worst case you forfeit $500, but far better to lose that than to have purchased the car and been immediately unhappy with it. Then we would really be talking money in depreciation.

I'd start by giving the dealer the statute as stated above and telling him you want the money back. It may well be resolved on the spot, or not. Keep us posted.
There is no need to "pursuade" the dealer of anything. There's a law on the books, which is black and white. Cite this law, and tell them you want the money by the end of the day, or you are filing a complaint with the state attorney general.

See how fast they change their tune.
Old 02-14-08, 10:54 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
There is no need to "pursuade" the dealer of anything. There's a law on the books, which is black and white. Cite this law, and tell them you want the money by the end of the day, or you are filing a complaint with the state attorney general.

See how fast they change their tune.
Whatever the law says, the OP has to pursuade the dealer to cough up the money. People and organizations don't automatically react to what the law may be if their interpretation is different, or if they have different motives. That's why there are lawyers and courts ..... to sort out these differences. It is naive to think the dealer will automatically snap to attention by quoting a particular law. That's where the pursuasion comes in, you have to convince him it is in his best interest to give the money back. We are all on board here ..... tell the dealer what the law says. He may or may not react to that, if he balks then ratchet up the action.
Old 02-14-08, 10:56 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tex2670
Not sure how you see 2 distinct obligations here.

If the "contract" to buy the car is not enforceable, NO PART OF IT IS ENFORCABLE. That includes the deposit. There is no signed agreement whereby the dealer can keep the deposit. The deposit was made, one may argue, under an "oral contract". That contract cannot be enforced. The dealer cannot keep the money. There is not a "deposit contract". That doesn't make any sense.

Botom line: THERE IS NO CONTRACT.
well, we know 2 things.

first, he has found a law which apparently the dealer has violated so it looks like he is going to get his money back. of course the dealer can say they gave him a receipt so this may end up in court where they will have to produce one and it can go from them. it's not a slam dunk (no small claims ever is) but the court usually sides with the consumer of the "bigger" dealership

second, tex you are wrong. plain and simple, you are wrong. are you just not reading what anyone has written here? or are you totally against dealerships and feel they are a ripoff anyway? lol you are missing the point.

again, the op is write, the dealership is wrong (based on what we read here) and the op should get his deposit back. but NOT because of the "rationale" above....lol.
Old 02-14-08, 11:43 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Whatever the law says, the OP has to pursuade the dealer to cough up the money. People and organizations don't automatically react to what the law may be if their interpretation is different, or if they have different motives. That's why there are lawyers and courts ..... to sort out these differences. It is naive to think the dealer will automatically snap to attention by quoting a particular law. That's where the pursuasion comes in, you have to convince him it is in his best interest to give the money back. We are all on board here ..... tell the dealer what the law says. He may or may not react to that, if he balks then ratchet up the action.
I agree the dealer has been difficult. But, you'd be amazed how quickly people change their tune when you show them you know the law, and make them wake up and realize their business will come under scrutiny from the BBB and the Attorney General.

It's not different than all the BS they tell you when you buy the car. How many posters ask why their car can't play DVDs or how they get XM tuned because some salesman "told" them something. None of those posters said--well here's the brochure and you are wrong.
Old 02-14-08, 11:47 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kensteele
well, we know 2 things.

first, he has found a law which apparently the dealer has violated so it looks like he is going to get his money back. of course the dealer can say they gave him a receipt so this may end up in court where they will have to produce one and it can go from them. it's not a slam dunk (no small claims ever is) but the court usually sides with the consumer of the "bigger" dealership

second, tex you are wrong. plain and simple, you are wrong. are you just not reading what anyone has written here? or are you totally against dealerships and feel they are a ripoff anyway? lol you are missing the point.

again, the op is write, the dealership is wrong (based on what we read here) and the op should get his deposit back. but NOT because of the "rationale" above....lol.

Not sure why it's relavant what I have read on this forum. 50 people can post mis-information, but that won't make it correct.

If there is no written contract, then there is no written contract, and there is not some "side contract" for the deposit. Unless the dealer puts something in writing.

The fact that there is a FL law governing auto deposits is great too--but without it, with no written contract, the dealer would not be able to keep the money.
Old 02-14-08, 01:40 PM
termigator
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GOT MY MONEY BACK!!!!!

I called my CC co. to find out where we were at and they told me they already took the money back from the dealership and credited my account. Looks like I don't have to deal with them after all.
Old 02-14-08, 02:23 PM
Foodplz
Driver

Glad you got your money back. It shouldn't ever have been a problem anyway.

Haha it looks like we have either a bunch of law school students or lawyer wannabes up in here.

again... all i'm going to say is... Statute of frauds. Put it in writing for me... or give me my money back.
Old 02-14-08, 03:27 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Foodplz
Glad you got your money back. It shouldn't ever have been a problem anyway.

Haha it looks like we have either a bunch of law school students or lawyer wannabes up in here.

again... all i'm going to say is... Statute of frauds. Put it in writing for me... or give me my money back.
lol, most of us said the op deserved to get his money back since the car can be resold and there were no mods. only a few people spoke otherwise.

personally i'm glad the op got his money back but it has nothing to do with the law and everything to do with credit cards (you know this wouldn't be happening as easily had it been a cash deposit). i have faith in the credit card and i enjoying using them for this very reason, they almost always side with the customer. doesn't mean you are right, it just means you have someone working on your side for you. use your amex and you can almost never be "at fault" lol.

anyway, statute of frauds? talk about lawyer wannabe. lol if you want to really brush up on law, pay more attention and give more credibility to oral contracts. they are more powerful than you think, especially in small claims court. and i'm speaking from experience having been in conciliation court a couple of times.

car deposits are always a problem. always. that's why some states have gone out of their way to try to rectify this with their own laws. anyway who dismisses a deposit the way some have in this thread is only fooling themselves. i guess a lot of you don't shop used cars.

tex, you're still wrong. lol
Old 02-14-08, 03:34 PM
Foodplz
Driver

anyway, statute of frauds? talk about lawyer wannabe. lol if you want to really brush up on law, pay more attention and give more credibility to oral contracts. they are more powerful than you think, especially in small claims court. and i'm speaking from experience having been in conciliation court a couple of times.
haha wouldn't be in law school if i didn't want to be a lawyer.

oral agreements are great and all... but in this case it carries very little weight. way too much common law precedent out there regarding deposits.
Old 02-14-08, 08:16 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Well looks like the OP got his money back like I stated earlier. Do you really think the GM of a dealership doesn't know the laws about deposits on cars in their states or would interpret the law different? Come on, are you that naive? There is no persuasion needed to get the money back, plain and simple, it's the law. Do you think that I would give a $2k deposit on my Lexus thinking that I could not get it back? Even the Lexus dealership the OP went to said that he would get his deposit back. It was a scare tactic, that's all it was. I can't wait to break the laws in my state, maybe I could persuade the cop that I didn't break the law....ha ha, right....
Old 02-14-08, 08:53 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

well, look at it this way.

let's say you, the single guy, walk in and see the car, agree to buy it for $30k, tell the dealer i will go to my bank and bring you $29k, here's $1k now, see you tomorrow. no contract was signed yet.

later that evening, a couple walks in, falls in love with "your" car, says they will pay $32k to take it home tonight, here's my money.

what happens?

dealer sells the car to the couple, calls you in the morning and says sorry about that, but we have another car over here for you else i guess you can have your $1k back.

dealer has every right to sell that car. he has the title and he can transfer it to anyone who pays. there's no guarantee that you will come back tomorrow with the cash, you might not even have it, or the bank might deny you a loan, you might get hit by a bus. there is no contract signed so you don't own anything yet.

how can you obligate the single guy if the dealer is not obligated as well? that's the argument for consideration that you need to present should this incident end up in small claims or conciliation court.

so, if the dealer says sorry to the couple, i can't sell you that car, it's taken already. that would mean the deposit should be considered non-refundable. doesn't mean the single guy is obligated to buy the car but he would lose his deposit should the dealer decide not to refund. you have to work it out.

doesn't mean you can't sue. but so can the dealership. and they will.

some states have a law that says car deposits are refundable. always. case closed. they don't want to deal with this crap.

other states, your deposit depends on the transaction. is it a new/used car? will the deal finance it or you? where there modification or customization done? how much was the "deposit"? was the car taken off the market? how was the deposit paid? who changed their mind? how long? what was said orally? did you sign a little piece of paper? can the car be [re]sold to anyone else? etc.

in this particular scenario, i believe the op is entitled to a refund of his deposit. not because he ultimately didn't buy the car, that's irrelevant in determining if a "deposit" is refundable. but because there was no understanding that the deposit was non-refundable. combine that with the fact that he used a credit card makes it that much easier (i.e. the normal course of business is to use a credit card to hold a small amount as a deposit).

if he had charged $3,000 to his card or if he paid $3,000 in cash, that shows intent....check your state law. you may already be protected. and ask your bank for a chargeback, not a dispute. keep in mind tho, if you force your money back, you may be sued by the dealer. all it costs is $25 and a couple of hours to try to convince a referee. they might even send one of the finance mgrs, no problem.

forget about all that contract stuff, for a car you have to have a written contract; no written contract no deal. the discussion is about the deposit and a judge/referee may split it 50/50 if the dealer has a good argument. he'll just weight both sides and whoever presents the most evidence....lol.

Not to beat a dead horse, but you are arguing logic, not law. As stated above, the UCC is clear. Contracts for goods over $500 are NOT ENFORCEABLE, by any party (dealer or buyer) if not in writing. This is, essentially, the law in 50 states. A dealer cannot keep a deposit if there is no contract--if you think they can, educate us how this would work.

As to specific laws dealing with deposits--I find it highly unlikely that ANY of those laws says a dealer can keep the deposit based on verbal understandings. Its just too risky for shady behavior. If a state allows NR deposits, and if the dealer gets the customer to sign a purchase order that states the deposit is non-refundable, then, ABSOLUTELY, you are screwed to try and get your $$ back. NO WAY, though, that this would be the result based on a handshake.

And, as to your CC company--they are NOT on your side. They are in biz to make money, not give it away. When you get a chargeback, it's because the merchant agreed the cardholder was right, and the charge was improper, or after a period of time, the merchant never responded to the CC co's inquiry (which, for small amounts, happens almost every time I have protested a charge--not worth the merchant's effort).

The dealer doesn't go and sell the car out from under you because (1) they CAN, in most cases, get another one and (2) if they do that, word gets out that they are poor to deal with, and lose biz based on bad reputation.
Old 02-14-08, 10:09 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by termigator
GOT MY MONEY BACK!!!!!

I called my CC co. to find out where we were at and they told me they already took the money back from the dealership and credited my account. Looks like I don't have to deal with them after all.
That's good news. Now what kind of car are you really going to actually BUY?

I suppose the lesson here is this: "Don't ever put a deposit down as it doesn't mean anything in a legal sense". So what's the purpose of a deposit? You could put $500 down like the OP did, and then go in the next day and find out the dealer sold your car to someone else. No harm, no foul, it seems. But I suspect that people here would be indignant if that happened to them and the advice then would be to 'sue them', call the BBB, report them to the State's AG, out them on CL, hold signs out in front of the dealership, and whatever else one could dream up. No??

Last edited by Evitzee; 02-15-08 at 06:43 AM.
Old 02-15-08, 04:03 AM
termigator
Rookie

That's good news. Now what kind of car are you really going to actually BUY?
As I said in my first posting. I just kept thinking about the IS. I called the sales rep at Lexus that same day before I cancelled on the Acura and told him I wanted their car, but that the Acura's price was so much lower that he would have to come down further if I were to buy the IS instead. He was willing to come down to a price that I found reasonable for the IS and I called Acura at that point and cancelled. I picked up my 08' Starfire Pearl IS350 the following Monday.
Old 02-15-08, 04:25 AM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Foodplz
haha wouldn't be in law school if i didn't want to be a lawyer.

oral agreements are great and all... but in this case it carries very little weight. way too much common law precedent out there regarding deposits.
Grats to gator on getting his deposit back!

And grats to Foodplz on law school!

One thing (as a lawyer in Florida myself), its all controlled by the UCC and statute now anyways, common law application exists but its pretty rare - mostly in bonding situations commercially.

George
- just my personal opinion and experience, I'm not your lawyer, not the opinion of my employer, etc, etc.
Old 02-15-08, 05:36 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Question folks: Even if he did sign a contract, dosen't he have a "consumers right" and a time to rescind?

Quick Reply: Not getting deposit back