IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

$5,000 Accident. Funny Story. This is insane, we are cursed!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-08, 09:36 AM
Burst32
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian231
I agree with the above. And and what about all that karma talk?
"Karma talk" meaning I drove kinda fast and a bit dangerously and survive without any accidents or anything and end up in a fender bender in a parking lot after I reach my destination. Karma came back and bit me in the A$$.
Old 02-12-08, 09:37 AM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

he pays his insurance monthly so he's putting his money to use.
Old 02-12-08, 10:01 AM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

You talk about people being uptight on this board, because we don't all agree or condone your silly act. There's a difference between driving fast, and driving reckless.

You want to be consoled when you:

A) Admitted to breaking the law
B) Admitted to lying to your friend that has a small insurance company

How you expect people to applaud your efforts and offer you solace is beyond me. Yeah this is a Lexus forum, but we don't support what you did. And the fact that you posted this on the public forum, means it can be criticized by anyone. Welcome to the interweb.

Originally Posted by Burst32
I feel you are all being a bit too uptight around here. Thought you would side with the person who owns the IS, and don't we all speed?? I mean come on, are you really going to flame me for speeding?? this is ridiculous!! They should change the site from, Club Lexus, to uptight people who are hypocritical while criticizing people for doing things that they obviously do (speeding) and would do (keeping extra money when the insurance company told you to get it fixed yourself).

By the way, I got the estimate from the body shop after I got the check. they just cut it to me in about one week and said here you go, get it fixed.

RELAX.

and I'll change the name of the topic so as to exclude the word "Funny"
Old 02-12-08, 10:15 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

I do not find your story funny either.

Yes, karma did turn around and kick you in the ***. Now your car is valued for less.

Yes, this is a car forum but we try to maintain a mature and safe atmosphere.

Yes, I think you know what you did was wrong - you were almost bragging in your original post which you edited to remove admitting guilt - but you don't care. Did you get scared?

I hope no moderator edits the title of this thread for you.

OK.

I tell a story on here and get flamed because:

A) I was speeding! Are you joking? We talk about that all the time on here. We drive cars that are either really fast (350) or somewhat quick but look fast (250) and you yell at me for speeding. haha. This is a car forum. wow.

B) I made a little bit extra money from the insurance. I got the estimate from them and the check before going to a body shop, the fact that they said they would do the work for less is not my issue. I payed the deductible with the leftover.

C) My insurance agent is a good friend and he has a small insurance agency in town. I told him I got backed into in a parking lot, and didn't know who did it. That is the same as what actually happened, because we didn't even trade information after the collision.

This is a car forum, shouldn't we be "for" each other? As far as making it out pretty well after a pretty expensive accident considering how much it hurts when we do get in an accident and how much we are paying for the insurance? And "for" each other when we speak of a great road to drive on and how good it feels when we open the throttle a bit?

I can't believe I received so much backlash over those couple of issues. How often do we talk of our driving habits on here, legal or illegal? I see threads all the time like "How fast have you driven" and "POLL: have you hit the top speed yet?" And I am sure that as far as the insurance situation went, you probably would have done the same thing because we all have a certain resentment toward the insurers, we are car enthusiasts, it's a pretty natural thing.
Old 02-12-08, 10:35 AM
arch95leo
Driver

wow... people on this forum act like parents. when i had my first gen IS i was on my.is forum and people on there are car enthusiast. when i got my second gen IS350 i join CL just because there were more people on CL with 2nd Gen then there was on the MY.IS forums. i think it might be the type of people that buy the 2nd Gen. People on here just need to relax and just enjoy everyones stories.. i feel you bro.. dont worry about these people, hell you should of scratch that **** more so you would have gotten more money..............
Old 02-12-08, 10:44 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They should change the site from, Club Lexus, to uptight people who are hypocritical while criticizing people for doing things that they obviously do (speeding) and would do (keeping extra money when the insurance company told you to get it fixed yourself).
I looked through some of your past postings, and one of your proud accomplishments was getting only a small fine for driving 85 in a 35. That is WAYY beyond speeding, as is driving 120mph... The majority of the people here absolutely do not do that.

And fine, I concede on the "keeping the money part" (even though I think it's technically still illegal for the body shop to have given an estimate so much higher than actual), but then where does that leave you on the fraudlent insurance claim that you filed?
Old 02-12-08, 10:54 AM
subliiime
Rookie

Originally Posted by arch95leo
wow... people on this forum act like parents. when i had my first gen IS i was on my.is forum and people on there are car enthusiast. when i got my second gen IS350 i join CL just because there were more people on CL with 2nd Gen then there was on the MY.IS forums. i think it might be the type of people that buy the 2nd Gen. People on here just need to relax and just enjoy everyones stories.. i feel you bro.. dont worry about these people, hell you should of scratch that **** more so you would have gotten more money..............
Word..I second that.

Originally Posted by sirkfc
I looked through some of your past postings, and one of your proud accomplishments was getting only a small fine for driving 85 in a 35. That is WAYY beyond speeding, as is driving 120mph... The majority of the people here absolutely do not do that.

And fine, I concede on the "keeping the money part" (even though I think it's technically still illegal for the body shop to have given an estimate so much higher than actual), but then where does that leave you on the fraudlent insurance claim that you filed?
I also agree with you...85 is a bit excessive in a 35 but it probably wasn't too big of a deal because since he only got a small fine, he was probably not putting anybody at risk, and the cop used proper judgment in writing the appropriate ticket. Anything 85mph or above in AZ is criminal and you could go to jail. I've been caught doing 89 and was not given a criminal ticket since the cop saw I was driving a well designed, well maintained vehicle on a relatively empty road.

If the car that you paid a lot of money for is capable of going 120mph, you have the right to experience that capability as long as you're not putting anybody else at risk.
Old 02-12-08, 10:59 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by subliiime

If the car that you paid a lot of money for is capable of going 120mph, you have the right to experience that capability as long as you're not putting anybody else at risk.
Isn't that type of safe place called a track or drag strip?

On public roads (at least in the US), there is no "right" to experience the top speed of your car.
Old 02-12-08, 11:02 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i want to comment but amazingly i dont know what to say... i'm never at a loss for words
Old 02-12-08, 11:26 AM
Burst32
Pole Position

The insurance company did an estimate, then cut me a check. Then I went to a body shop, and they gave me an estimate which was less than the check I received.

And about my 85 in a 35...It was 2 A.M. on a 4 lane road by myself. The cop was lenient, and in the town I am in they only fine people because it is a college town and they make A LOT of money off of the students that way. The roads around here are all country roads and those marked 35 here are probably nowhere near as busy as the roads marked 35 in other parts of the country. I am pretty sure that post you are talking about is from a thread that was asking about speeding tickets and their associated fines. So obviously I am going to talk about that ticket on there, so way to go putting your twist on that.

It wasn't a fraudulent claim. I said I got backed into in a parking lot and didn't know who did it. Which is entirely true. I backed up and had my foot on the brake, shifting into gear and moving backwards ever so slightly and she had backed into me. I was much closer to her than she was to me when we impacted because I started to back up first. But there were no witnesses as it was behind a building, so we agreed to have our own insurances cover it. How else was I going to report it? I guess I could have gone into more detail in the original thread, but I decided not to.

Also, I can guarantee a majority of the people on here drive recklessly (meaning speeding while alone on a road) from time to time. A majority of the people on here own an IS350, they got that because they like to have the ability to drive fast. If they don't like to speed, or don't like the ability to speed, than I am sure they would have opted for the smaller engine. I know someone is going to say otherwise but just as anything else there are always exceptions.

Last edited by Burst32; 02-12-08 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Hit post button by accident
Old 02-12-08, 11:32 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe the "funny" part of the story is that we all paid for this incident, since insurance companies pass-off these costs to thier customers in the form of higher premiums.
Old 02-12-08, 11:37 AM
Burst32
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
I do not find your story funny either.

Yes, karma did turn around and kick you in the ***. Now your car is valued for less.

Yes, this is a car forum but we try to maintain a mature and safe atmosphere.

Yes, I think you know what you did was wrong - you were almost bragging in your original post which you edited to remove admitting guilt - but you don't care. Did you get scared?

I hope no moderator edits the title of this thread for you.
Did I get scared? I think not.

I did absolutely nothing wrong, morally or legally.
Old 02-12-08, 11:41 AM
Burst32
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
Maybe the "funny" part of the story is that we all paid for this incident, since insurance companies pass-off these costs to thier customers in the form of higher premiums.
I really have a hard time following your logic.

Is it my fault that my insurance company gives bad estimates? NO!

That is their problem, they have bad employees, what am I supposed to do?

So you should call the guy who did the estimate, and chastise him for your higher premium.
Old 02-12-08, 11:43 AM
subliiime
Rookie

Isn't that type of safe place called a track or drag strip?

On public roads (at least in the US), there is no "right" to experience the top speed of your car.
Yes, I totally agree with you. This type of high-speed driving should be done at the track..for the safety of the public..

..BUT, if someone is going from Point A to Point B, in a well maintained IS, and you can see that the number of other cars on the road between A and B is 0, I don't see any safety risk posed to the public if that person decides to go 10, 20, or 50mph over the posted limit. The safety and legal risk is only posed to the driver, in which this case, he assumed.

Laws, in my opinion, should be there to protect the safety and welfare of the public, NOT people from themselves (although there are laws out there like seatbelt and helmet laws which do this..it's just not right, again in my opinion, to be ticketed or pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt). People should be able to do whatever they want to their own bodies like taking them up to high speeds, taking mind altering drugs, etc..as long as nobody else (the public) is directly affected.

It's his body. Let him do what he wants with it. You or the government should not have any say in what he wants to do with it.

It is a slightly different story, however, if you or anybody else was on that road with him..
Old 02-12-08, 11:45 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

I did absolutely nothing wrong, morally or legally.
Hopeless, useless, pointless.

Quick Reply: $5,000 Accident. Funny Story. This is insane, we are cursed!!