IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

$5,000 Accident. Funny Story. This is insane, we are cursed!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-08, 12:35 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Burst32
I did absolutely nothing wrong, morally or legally.
If you think having a parking lot run in with another motorist, making a verbal agreement to cover your own damage and then turning around and telling your insurance company that that that damage was caused by hit and run driver isn't legally wrong then I suggest you check the law? Perhaps, you live in some no-fault jurisdiction where how it happened doesn't matter.

However, where I live that is known as insurance fraud, plain and simple. In fact, here in CA any accident over $1,000 ( I think that is the current $ amount) total damage requires a police report be filed within 24 hours.
Old 02-12-08, 01:02 PM
arch95leo
Driver

All you guys on here giving this guy a hard time really push away newcomers just trying to share.... hell no wonder i have almost no post on here cause everytime i wanna post i gotta make sure i say the right thing.... is this forum being sponsored by FOX NEWS
Old 02-12-08, 01:07 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

Push newcomers away? Hardly. If anything it keeps the immature members away.
Old 02-12-08, 01:09 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arch95leo
All you guys on here giving this guy a hard time really push away newcomers just trying to share.... hell no wonder i have almost no post on here cause everytime i wanna post i gotta make sure i say the right thing.... is this forum being sponsored by FOX NEWS
Check your sentence structure!!!
Old 02-12-08, 01:40 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by arch95leo
I found his cheerful accounting of the actual events rather amusing and said so.

However, the long rambling responses in the posts attempting to justify lying to the insurance company I could have lived without. Is insurance, essentially, a rip off? Yes, but it is one of those "necessary evils" of car ownership and not everyone is going to see his "pulling one on the man" in the same light.
Old 02-12-08, 01:51 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

To the OP: I notice you use Semper Fi in your signature. Do you actually know what it means?? Who or what are you faithful to? Yourself only? It just seems an odd selection, given the conduct you describe in your posts.
Old 02-12-08, 02:00 PM
subliiime
Rookie

Can one of you insurance experts please enlighten me on how his story amounts to fraud?

If they had gone through the whole deal of calling the cops, filed the proper accident reports, and gone through the usual claim process, since no one was at fault, wouldn't his insurance just end up paying for her damages instead of his, and her insurance would end up paying for his damages instead of hers? Either way, both companies are shelling out money...just to different people.

Wikipedia defines fraud as deception made for personal gain. I really can't find any deceit in his story, just a slight misinterpretation of the events for a more efficient and speedy resolution to the accident and damages. Any personal financial gain he may have ended up with wasn't really within his control.
Old 02-12-08, 02:05 PM
Burst32
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Evitzee
To the OP: I notice you use Semper Fi in your signature. Do you actually know what it means?? Who or what are you faithful to? Yourself only? It just seems an odd selection, given the conduct you describe in your posts.
Yea I know what it means. I wear it on my arm and I have a few medals to prove it. So don't come at me with that.

This whole thing is getting a bit out of hand, now we are bringing my personal life and past commitments to light. I mean seriously
Old 02-12-08, 02:16 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Well since it was both our fault, we just agreed to have our own insurances cover it. I just told my insurance company that I got hit and run'd in some parking lot.
Originally Posted by Noz
.. which part of this story is suppose to be funny? The part where you admit breaking the law by speeding at speeds of 120MPH? or maybe the part where you obviously backed up way to fast considering the damage on your car. Maybe it's the insurance fraud that you commited...
Thought you would side with the person who owns the IS, and don't we all speed?? I mean come on, are you really going to flame me for speeding?? this is ridiculous!! They should change the site from, Club Lexus, to uptight people who are hypocritical while criticizing people for doing things that they obviously do (speeding) and would do (keeping extra money when the insurance company told you to get it fixed yourself).
Did I get scared? I think not. I did absolutely nothing wrong, morally or legally.
You are obviously very young and have a lot of growing up to do.

People will side with whoever is right, not because you drive the same car as us.
If you didn't get scared about bragging on public forum, why did you edit out the first post?

I hope you learn that just because you walked away from this incident, it doesn't mean you get off easy the next time too. Your luck WILL run out someday and NO airbag will save you at 120mph.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-12-08, 02:50 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by subliiime
Can one of you insurance experts please enlighten me on how his story amounts to fraud?

If they had gone through the whole deal of calling the cops, filed the proper accident reports, and gone through the usual claim process, since no one was at fault, wouldn't his insurance just end up paying for her damages instead of his, and her insurance would end up paying for his damages instead of hers? Either way, both companies are shelling out money...just to different people.

Wikipedia defines fraud as deception made for personal gain. I really can't find any deceit in his story, just a slight misinterpretation of the events for a more efficient and speedy resolution to the accident and damages. Any personal financial gain he may have ended up with wasn't really within his control.
So lying and telling the insurance company that he was involved in a hit and run is not deceit? Seriously? There's no slight misinterpretation here. It's a calculated statement to benefit himself. A more efficient and speedy resolution would be a personal gain would it not? Thus falling under the definition of fraud.

Or maybe you don't see it because the original poster has completely altered his post and the story is nothing like it was when it was posted this morning! I guess he couldn't take the heat.
Old 02-12-08, 03:31 PM
Burst32
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Buds
So lying and telling the insurance company that he was involved in a hit and run is not deceit? Seriously? There's no slight misinterpretation here. It's a calculated statement to benefit himself. A more efficient and speedy resolution would be a personal gain would it not? Thus falling under the definition of fraud.

Or maybe you don't see it because the original poster has completely altered his post and the story is nothing like it was when it was posted this morning! I guess he couldn't take the heat.

I told my insurance people that I got backed into and didn't know who did it. What is the definition of a hit and run?...being hit by someone that you don't know. We didn't exchange information. Either way, whether I said that or told them I backed into someone they still would have quoted it at $5,000. See?

We were both almost equally at fault. So if I say it's my fault, then I am not being entirely truthful. If I say that it's her fault, then I am still not being entirely truthful.

In the end it is still $5,000 out of an insurance company's pocket. It's not like I burned my house down, or made the damage worse than it really was. The damage was done, and someone's insurance was going to pay it.

Last edited by Burst32; 02-12-08 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-12-08, 03:42 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I told my insurance people that I got backed into and didn't know who did it. What is the definition of a hit and run?...being hit by someone that you don't know. We didn't exchange information. Either way, whether I said that or told them I backed into someone they still would have quoted it at $5,000. See?

We were both almost equally at fault. So if I say it's my fault, then I am not being entirely truthful. If I say that it's her fault, then I am still not being entirely truthful.

In the end it is still $5,000 out of an insurance company's pocket. It's not like I burned my house down, or made the damage worse than it really was. The damage was done, and someone's insurance was going to pay it.
Why try to define the incident yourself for the insurance company? What's wrong with just telling the complete truth about what happened and letting the insurance companies do their job? Isn't telling the entire truth precisely the definition of "entirely truthful?"

And how in the world do you get into an accident that serious and somehow not exchange ANY information?
Old 02-12-08, 03:52 PM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow peoples hummm i think that some of the things he have done was wrong but guess what thats what insurance company is there for. He has one check mark against him and its not him that is driving up the policy rates for people its everyone who is young and drive reckless. Therefore if you have clean records the rate will go down. Its also is not uncommon for insurance to give you more then you need. The estimate is for if you use their body shop. if you find a cheaper one then thats kudos to you. I was in a fender bender in my dads bmw 760li the company cut us a check for 35k to fix the car. I went to my dads friend shop cost only 25k to fix. Kept the other 10k.
Old 02-12-08, 03:54 PM
GordoNx3o9
Pole Position

This thread is interesting. So, where's the original thread? It's true that people needs to be careful about what they say in these forums though, 'cause you WILL get flamed.
Old 02-12-08, 03:59 PM
tshek
Pole Position

OK.

I tell a story on here and get flamed because:

A) I was speeding! Are you joking? We talk about that all the time on here. We drive cars that are either really fast (350) or somewhat quick but look fast (250) and you yell at me for speeding. haha. This is a car forum. wow.

B) I made a little bit extra money from the insurance. I got the estimate from them and the check before going to a body shop, the fact that they said they would do the work for less is not my issue. I payed the deductible with the leftover.

C) My insurance agent is a good friend and he has a small insurance agency in town. I told him I got backed into in a parking lot, and didn't know who did it. That is the same as what actually happened, because we didn't even trade information after the collision.

This is a car forum, shouldn't we be "for" each other? As far as making it out pretty well after a pretty expensive accident considering how much it hurts when we do get in an accident and how much we are paying for the insurance? And "for" each other when we speak of a great road to drive on and how good it feels when we open the throttle a bit?

I can't believe I received so much backlash over those couple of issues. How often do we talk of our driving habits on here, legal or illegal? I see threads all the time like "How fast have you driven" and "POLL: have you hit the top speed yet?" And I am sure that as far as the insurance situation went, you probably would have done the same thing because we all have a certain resentment toward the insurers, we are car enthusiasts, it's a pretty natural thing.
A and C, I am not going to make any comment on it.

But B, it is actually how a lot of the insurance companies deal with car accidents now. They send a independent car appraiser that they selected and hired to come out to see your car and give a estimate on "cost of damaged". The reason that they do that is proving fraud, they are worry that you know a body shop that will over quote something and rob them. Some people said it is a fraud because of the fixing cost is less than what the check they cut you. But keep in mine they cut you the check base on cost of damaged that provided by independent car appraiser that the insurance company selected not the cost to fix it, and some people just take the check and never fix their car.

This is how my insurance agent explained to me, when you get in an accident, insurance is covering what is damaged to your car. If you decide not to fix it, or only fix partial, it is your choice. But we will pay you whatever is damaged.

Quick Reply: $5,000 Accident. Funny Story. This is insane, we are cursed!!