IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

$5,000 Accident. Funny Story. This is insane, we are cursed!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-08, 08:29 PM
Burst32
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I deleted it hoping to stop people from going on and on, because then I go on and on as we see. But I pulled into a parking lot in the correct lane I guess, there really wasn't any "lane" persay. But I pulled into a spot and stopped for a bit, and while backing out we both hit, like I said above.
Old 02-12-08, 08:30 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Burst32
The incident occurred on a college campus on private property.
There were no witnesses.
We both were at fault because we backed into each other.
We were both innocent because we got backed into by another vehicle.
We agreed to have our own insurances cover it and left without getting any information from each other.
If the police were notified, they wouldn't know who to blame because no one else saw it.
I wrote "hit and run" originally because it was a lot less typing than to explain and explain what really happened.

I told the insurance company that I got backed into by somebody and I have no idea who it was. Since there is no police report they obviously cannot prove me innocent, but at the same time it was my first claim EVER so they were very lenient. They came and estimated it, and cut me a check. Then I went to the body shop where I have been before for some minor scratches and they quoted me and we set up the appointment.

I have a $500 deductible which I PAYED out of the extra money so cool your jets Bass Mech.

So as far as I can tell, how many "WRONG" and "FRAUDULENT" things have I done?
you were wrong because you LIED simple.. end of story had the insurance company found you at fault they have every right to raise your rates because your a higher than average risk. and if the speeding 120 on public roads is a true story further backs my statement.

you were fradulent because you and i quote
B) I made a little bit extra money from the insurance. I got the estimate from them and the check before going to a body shop, the fact that they said they would do the work for less is not my issue. I payed the deductible with the leftover.
because your supposed to PAY YOUR DEDUCTIBLE not return some of your profit to the insurance company, profit your not supposed to have in the first place! i know you and everyone else doesnt believe its fraud but it is, it may be small but it doesnt make it any less fradulent. did the insurance company give you the check do to as you please? apparently so they can if they want to and for the small amount of dammage its not a big deal BUT of you were following the letter of the law (which i am not suprised at all you missed based on your lack or integrity) you should have returned the additional money to the insurance company and paid your deducible with YOUR money not theirs!
but to your credit most people would have done exactly the same thing, it still doesnt make it right. for the same reason if you find a 100 dollar bill outside the bank the right thing to do is return it to the bank in hopes it's rightfull owner will claim it. would you do that? im guessing your answer is no
its called doing the right thing and having integrity, just because someone made it possible for you to put the money in your pocket doesnt mean its the right thing to do.
Old 02-12-08, 08:42 PM
Burst32
Pole Position

They were in contact with the body shop after the check was issued. They didn't want the money back.

and with that said, I am done posting on here. An exhausting day. So you all can keep it going, but I won't be back.
Old 02-12-08, 08:45 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

I told my insurance people that I got backed into and didn't know who did it. What is the definition of a hit and run?...being hit by someone that you don't know. We didn't exchange information. Either way, whether I said that or told them I backed into someone they still would have quoted it at $5,000. See?

We were both almost equally at fault. So if I say it's my fault, then I am not being entirely truthful. If I say that it's her fault, then I am still not being entirely truthful.

In the end it is still $5,000 out of an insurance company's pocket. It's not like I burned my house down, or made the damage worse than it really was. The damage was done, and someone's insurance was going to pay it.
Dude quit lying. In your ORIGINAL UN-EDITED post you said "I told my insurance company that I was involved in a hit and run" Of course you've since changed your original post so only the few who saw it originally know the real story as you first told it.
Old 02-12-08, 09:18 PM
Perfection
Lead Lap

Uhh guys, I have no idea what is going on . Can someone please fill me in?
Old 02-12-08, 10:00 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS350owner
Uhh guys, I have no idea what is going on . Can someone please fill me in?
Basically just a poorly titled post... Let's examine...
"$5,000 Accident. Funny Story. This is insane, we are cursed!!"

First: $5,000 Accident.... More like $4,000 Accident, $1,000 profit (fraud)

Second: Funny Story.... Nope, nobody thought it was particularly funny, especially the part where he thought it was clever to lie to the insurance company.

Third: This is insane.... Nope. He drives insane.

Fourth: We are cursed!!... With the way he drives, he's surprised he got into an accident? There's no curse in this case.
Old 02-12-08, 11:21 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

Wow, this thread turned into a real beat down. Was this guy a Marine? When people get more paid to them then the repair cost then "pocketing the money" is how it works, I've seen people not get the car repaired at all. There is no crime in taking the insurance money and selling the car "as is" or getting the structural stuff done and not getting paint or whatever, it is done all the time. The insurance companies job is to supply you with money to "make you whole" again not micro-manage what you do with your payout.

Telling the "hit and run" story is the fraud and giving bogus info to police too, if that happened.

Don't sweat it Burst I read the original post (prior to the edit) and can see your side (still think saying hit&run was wrong) but I do understand.

Personally, I've seen enough customers get royally screwed (lowballed, denied legit claims, ect) by insurance that seeing this doesn't grate me quite as much as some people.

Last edited by CRB; 02-12-08 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-13-08, 12:21 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wowww...i cant believe how many people flamed because of this matter...i mean the guy lied..but is smart and sly into getting some extra pocket out of the insurance money...all i can say is that, would this insurance thing affects most of the people that flammed? i dun even think 1K would affect the insurance company at all or any1 else......its like you see someone unknowingly drop a case filled with a million dollar cash, and you know that he dropped it accidentally but no one else saw this...would you keep it or return it?? Dun mind me but i would be an idiotic honest guy to return it... (please dun mind my bad english btw...hahaha...)
Old 02-13-08, 01:07 AM
thisisj0
Driver

your all nutz.
Old 02-13-08, 04:12 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DVac3
I just don't get why it's funny that you smashed up your IS. If I get a hairline scratch I cry.
+1........
Old 02-13-08, 06:58 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

If you think that the insurance company would agree that you didn't do anything wrong after hearing the whole truth, then you're a fool. Just because you didn't exchange information with the other driver doesn't mean you don't know who they are. It just means that you didn't ask for their name, which is a violation of your contract with the insurance company. You have no right to decide who is at fault in an accident or which insurance company is going to pay for it. Only the police and insurance have that right.
Old 02-13-08, 07:18 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by subliiime
Yes, I totally agree with you. This type of high-speed driving should be done at the track..for the safety of the public..

..BUT, if someone is going from Point A to Point B, in a well maintained IS, and you can see that the number of other cars on the road between A and B is 0, I don't see any safety risk posed to the public if that person decides to go 10, 20, or 50mph over the posted limit. The safety and legal risk is only posed to the driver, in which this case, he assumed.

Laws, in my opinion, should be there to protect the safety and welfare of the public, NOT people from themselves (although there are laws out there like seatbelt and helmet laws which do this..it's just not right, again in my opinion, to be ticketed or pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt). People should be able to do whatever they want to their own bodies like taking them up to high speeds, taking mind altering drugs, etc..as long as nobody else (the public) is directly affected.

It's his body. Let him do what he wants with it. You or the government should not have any say in what he wants to do with it.

It is a slightly different story, however, if you or anybody else was on that road with him..
Driving fast at night is far more dangerous than the day. It doesn't matter how well maintained a car is, driving 85 in a 35 at night is irresponsible. Head lights don't illuminate far enough down the road to allow a complete stop. You also have to expect that the few other people that are driving at that time of night might not be alert or sober.

The seat belt issue is off topic, but I feel really strongly about it. People that think seat belt laws are about forcing unwanted protection on those who don't want to wear them, are not really seeing the big picture. People who don't wear seat belts put everyone else in danger. A flying corpse can kill multiple people during its travels through a passenger compartment. For my own safety, I refuse to ride in a car without everyone being belted in.
Old 02-13-08, 07:50 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

OK.

I tell a story on here and get flamed because:

A) I was speeding! Are you joking? We talk about that all the time on here. We drive cars that are either really fast (350) or somewhat quick but look fast (250) and you yell at me for speeding. haha. This is a car forum. wow.

B) I made a little bit extra money from the insurance. I got the estimate from them and the check before going to a body shop, the fact that they said they would do the work for less is not my issue. I payed the deductible with the leftover.

C) My insurance agent is a good friend and he has a small insurance agency in town. I told him I got backed into in a parking lot, and didn't know who did it. That is the same as what actually happened, because we didn't even trade information after the collision.

This is a car forum, shouldn't we be "for" each other? As far as making it out pretty well after a pretty expensive accident considering how much it hurts when we do get in an accident and how much we are paying for the insurance? And "for" each other when we speak of a great road to drive on and how good it feels when we open the throttle a bit?

I can't believe I received so much backlash over those couple of issues. How often do we talk of our driving habits on here, legal or illegal? I see threads all the time like "How fast have you driven" and "POLL: have you hit the top speed yet?" And I am sure that as far as the insurance situation went, you probably would have done the same thing because we all have a certain resentment toward the insurers, we are car enthusiasts, it's a pretty natural thing.
Insurance fraud is not a "natural thing".
Old 02-13-08, 08:01 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Read what I said in the quote in your last post.

" If I said it was my fault, that isn't the whole truth"
"If I said it was HER fault, that isn't the whole truth either"

We both played a role getting in the accident.

We didn't exchange any information because it was both our faults, and we just agreed to have our own insurances cover it.

WE BOTH GOT BACKED INTO BY SOMEONE WE DON'T KNOW.
AND
WE BOTH BACKED INTO SOMEONE.
Then you should have exchanged info, and THAT is what you should have told the insurance company, plain and simple. Anything else is just your own rationalizations to make yourself feel better. Not knowing the name of the person who you were in an accident with because you purposely avoided obtaining the information is NOT "hit and run."
Old 02-13-08, 08:04 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by subliiime
Can one of you insurance experts please enlighten me on how his story amounts to fraud?

If they had gone through the whole deal of calling the cops, filed the proper accident reports, and gone through the usual claim process, since no one was at fault, wouldn't his insurance just end up paying for her damages instead of his, and her insurance would end up paying for his damages instead of hers? Either way, both companies are shelling out money...just to different people.

Wikipedia defines fraud as deception made for personal gain. I really can't find any deceit in his story, just a slight misinterpretation of the events for a more efficient and speedy resolution to the accident and damages. Any personal financial gain he may have ended up with wasn't really within his control.
You don't get to change the facts of a story for your own personal convenience and/or gain just because you believe that the result will be the same. I agree with the other post--his gain is the non-impact on his insurance rates when he doesn't admit partial fault.

Quick Reply: $5,000 Accident. Funny Story. This is insane, we are cursed!!