IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

$5,000 Accident. Funny Story. This is insane, we are cursed!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-08, 08:05 AM
CMF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the OP -- GIVE UP NOW. You're only digging a hole with some of these people and one will probably turn into a complete *** and make some of those calls to insurance companies. Whether it be right or wrong for what you did, who gives a crap, but is it worth the risk? You never know who you're gonna cross on here. IMO it's not worth making anymore posts.

As far as driving habits, I don't believe too many people on here could say they have NEVER broken the law while behind the wheel. Maybe age makes a difference, who knows. I have a lead foot from time to time and I'm 32. If some of these old farts on the road would keep to the right, it would not be so dangerous to have people going by them faster. In TX there are signs that say "slower traffic keep right". Guess we should start ticketing people who drive 40 in a 55 as well now too!? blah blah blah
Old 02-13-08, 08:09 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by subliiime
Word..I second that.

If the car that you paid a lot of money for is capable of going 120mph, you have the right to experience that capability as long as you're not putting anybody else at risk.
You have no such "right". This is how people get needlessly killed. Go get time on the track if you want to do this.
Old 02-13-08, 08:19 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Burst32
Read what I said in the quote in your last post.

WE BOTH GOT BACKED INTO BY SOMEONE WE DON'T KNOW.
AND
WE BOTH BACKED INTO SOMEONE.
With that logic, wouldn't an overwhelming number of accidents be called a "hit and run", since most people get into car accidents with strangers?

So I learned something new. As long as you each not exchange info, you can both file a "hit and run" claim. I'll let the other guy know that the next time I get into a fender bender.
Old 02-13-08, 08:23 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

I'd laugh my a$$ off if the other driver said the same thing, but THEN gave her insurance company Burst32's license plate number. Wouldn't be so "funny" once the cops came looking for him.

Even for a second trying to call this a "hit and run" is the funny part.
Old 02-13-08, 09:52 AM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ThoLe
he pays his insurance monthly so he's putting his money to use.
Thank you. There are a few **** people on this forum.....Why? This is a car forum not the supreme court. If you find his story offensive then look the other way and don't reply. Enjoy life and cheer up fellas.
Old 02-13-08, 09:56 AM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CMF
For the OP -- GIVE UP NOW. You're only digging a hole with some of these people and one will probably turn into a complete *** and make some of those calls to insurance companies. Whether it be right or wrong for what you did, who gives a crap, but is it worth the risk? You never know who you're gonna cross on here. IMO it's not worth making anymore posts.
Thats sad that we have people that would take time out of there life to do that. Do people really have all that time to spare? If you do then go join a bowling league. To the OP do what you want its your car and money.
Old 02-13-08, 10:17 AM
meefer
Lead Lap

Alright since this damn thread won't die I'll stick in my 2 pennies.

OP - you committed fraud whether you like it or not. Your ethics and tactics given the situation are not up for debate. You lied, plain and simple, for your own benefit and the perceived benefit of others.

Do I particularly care that you did this? Absolutely not, billions of dollars per year are lost due to insurance fraud so your case is relatively speaking, a drop in the bucket.

I wouldn't have said I did so on a public forum for the whole world to come and check out.

Everyone else - the fraud is evident, us being able to do anything meaningful about it is not. I'm fairly sure the OP is sufficiently pissed/scared to ever come back to our CL community at this point. Teaching lessons over the internet is for the University of Phoenix, not for CL.
Old 02-13-08, 10:25 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MoLexus
Thank you. There are a few **** people on this forum.....Why? This is a car forum not the supreme court. If you find his story offensive then look the other way and don't reply. Enjoy life and cheer up fellas.
No sir--it doesn't work that way. He wanted to share his story with everyone. By doing this, he opens himself up to ALL opinions. That's what a forum is all about.

My sense is that he's looking for a little validation--he doesn't appear to be getting it. Maybe there's an insurance fraud forum he could join to find like-minded posters.
Old 02-13-08, 10:47 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ThoLe
he pays his insurance monthly so he's putting his money to use.
Originally Posted by MoLexus
Do either of you guys understand how insurance works? Ever notice how when you have an accident or medical procedure, you still get paid out regardless of the summation of your premiums thus far? Ever wonder why some years you paid premiums and didn't end up going to the doctor much at all?

The system somewhat works when we collectively as a whole pay our premiums to have a pool to draw from when the "expected unexpected" happens. When one member falsely gets re-imbursed more than he should have, either with a fraudulent story or overpaid claim, he took money from the pool.

So what happens? The good drivers (healthy people), continue to subsidize the bad drivers and cheats. The good people start dropping out or taking higher deductibles, because their benefit to premium ratio is suffering. So now insurers are left covering a higher percentage of people that are bad, so they raise rates, and even more of the remaining top people drop out, and it's a vicious cycle. Adverse selection, is what I think it's called.

Anyway...
Old 02-13-08, 12:27 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sirkfc
Do either of you guys understand how insurance works? Ever notice how when you have an accident or medical procedure, you still get paid out regardless of the summation of your premiums thus far? Ever wonder why some years you paid premiums and didn't end up going to the doctor much at all?

The system somewhat works when we collectively as a whole pay our premiums to have a pool to draw from when the "expected unexpected" happens. When one member falsely gets re-imbursed more than he should have, either with a fraudulent story or overpaid claim, he took money from the pool.

So what happens? The good drivers (healthy people), continue to subsidize the bad drivers and cheats. The good people start dropping out or taking higher deductibles, because their benefit to premium ratio is suffering. So now insurers are left covering a higher percentage of people that are bad, so they raise rates, and even more of the remaining top people drop out, and it's a vicious cycle. Adverse selection, is what I think it's called.

Anyway...
This is entirely true!!!
Old 02-13-08, 04:42 PM
Burst32
Pole Position

The incident occurred on a college campus on private property.
There were no witnesses.
We both backed into each other after we pulled out of our respective parking spots
We agreed to have our own insurances cover it and left without getting any information from each other.
If the police were notified, they wouldn't know who to blame because no one else saw it and her and I couldn't even figure out who exactly was at fault.

I told the insurance company that I got backed into by somebody and I have no idea who it was. I never said "I got hit and run'd" to the insurance people I just wrote that in the original post, because it was easier to type. I had no idea I would receive such backlash, I didn't think anyone would care but I was wrong. If you were able to be present during the entire process of my wreck and insurance claim, you would see it was perfectly legal. Since there is no police report they obviously cannot prove me innocent, so it was still my fault as far as the claim goes because they don't have a 2nd. party to blame or a report from the cops. But at the same time it was my first claim EVER so they were very lenient.

They came and estimated it, and cut me a check that had my name on it AND the body shop's name. So I got a check from the body shop that was in the amount of the difference when I dropped my car off.

The car is a lease so they COULD NOT make the check out to just me because it has to be fixed before I have to turn it in. They were going to make it out to the financier but they thankfully didn't and made it out to myself and the body shop. That way I could get it fixed sooner and not have to deal with the finance people as far as what shop they wanted me to go to.

I checked this morning and it is in fact my fault as far as the insurance company is concerned because of the reasons previously stated in this post.

I also have a $500 deductible which I PAYED

In the original post I obviously left most of those details out because no one would want to read about a boring-A$$ insurance claim. I thought that it would not receive the type of backlash it did, but what are you going to do.

This is the complete, un-edited truth. I would have had to type all of this and more in the original post but I didn't because I was in a hurry and it was boring. I hope it makes everyone feel happy that I didn't commit fraud because I clearly didn't. So if you still have a comment feel free to express it, because you are clearly wasting your time and are beating a dead horse. And as far as how I drive, if I want to drive fast I am going to...why do you give a crap how I drive? Do you yell at people who don't wear their seatbelts or helmets when on a motorcycle? Because that is clearly as dangerous if not more than speeding on a road when you are by yourself.
Old 02-13-08, 04:50 PM
Burst32
Pole Position

A lot of you probably think I altered the story to either save my *** or make me seem right and you wrong. Well I didn't. I just didn't feel like going through the whole process step by step by step. I thought 5 people would read the whole thing and be like "wow, umm sucks to be you because your car is messed up now, but use the money on a body kit" or something like that.

But that wasn't the case. So view it how you want to view it, say what you want to say. I know I abided every law there is with this whole thing so I sleep easy at night. Just read the above post and you will see, as long as you believe me, that everything I did was within the law.

I guess I could have written that all at first, I wish I would have, it would have saved a lot of time for myself and ya'll. But, o well, the debate was fun.
Old 02-13-08, 04:58 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I told the insurance company that I got backed into by somebody and I have no idea who it was. I never said "I got hit and run'd" to the insurance people I just wrote that in the original post, because it was easier to type. I had no idea I would receive such backlash, I didn't think anyone would care but I was wrong. If you were able to be present during the entire process of my wreck and insurance claim, you would see it was perfectly legal. Since there is no police report they obviously cannot prove me innocent, so it was still my fault as far as the claim goes because they don't have a 2nd. party to blame or a report from the cops. But at the same time it was my first claim EVER so they were very lenient.
I am not saying whatever is RIGHT or WRONG...but just wondering how could the insurance company justify your $5000 damage for you just "backed into somebody" ???

Last edited by kickin8; 02-13-08 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-13-08, 06:36 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

And as far as how I drive, if I want to drive fast I am going to...why do you give a crap how I drive? Do you yell at people who don't wear their seatbelts or helmets when on a motorcycle? Because that is clearly as dangerous if not more than speeding on a road when you are by yourself.
Not really. if someone doesn't wear their seatbelt or helmet, then they're helping with natural selection by increasing their odds of being removed from the gene pool. If you choose to speed, you're endangering others as well as yourself. Big difference.

As for being by yourself, it doesn't take very long to find out you're not by yourself at 120 mph. Just how many miles ahead are you capable of seeing? Do you think you'd be at 100% to see someone going 40 mph on the same road with that kind of closure in the middle of the night?

Last edited by 15951; 02-13-08 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-13-08, 07:22 PM
Burst32
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kickin8
I am not saying whatever is RIGHT or WRONG...but just wondering how could the insurance company justify your $5000 damage for you just "backed into somebody" ???
What do you mean? The way you worded it is kind of confusing.

My car sustained a lot of damage, and that damage, according to the insurance guy when he gave me the estimate, would cost $5,000 to repair. Is that what you meant?

Quick Reply: $5,000 Accident. Funny Story. This is insane, we are cursed!!