IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

$5,000 Accident. Funny Story. This is insane, we are cursed!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-08 | 08:38 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Burst32
I told the insurance company that I got backed into by somebody and I have no idea who it was. I never said "I got hit and run'd" to the insurance people I just wrote that in the original post, because it was easier to type. I had no idea I would receive such backlash, I didn't think anyone would care but I was wrong.
Well thanks for clarifying that! That was the only problem I had with the story. If you really didn't file it as a hit and run than I have no issues with your story.
Old 02-13-08 | 08:49 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tex2670
No sir--it doesn't work that way. He wanted to share his story with everyone. By doing this, he opens himself up to ALL opinions. That's what a forum is all about.

My sense is that he's looking for a little validation--he doesn't appear to be getting it. Maybe there's an insurance fraud forum he could join to find like-minded posters.
Well there is one "****" person..........I guess his insurance company will file for bankrupt because of his claim. Insurance companies aren't going to go after people like the OP, they have much bigger ($$$$$) claims to worry about.
Old 02-13-08 | 09:39 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kickin8
I am not saying whatever is RIGHT or WRONG...but just wondering how could the insurance company justify your $5000 damage for you just "backed into somebody" ???
From what I thought of insurance companies, they'd do everything in their power to avoid paying out claims...

That is one generous insurance company. First to accept a $5000 claim without questioning why the OP didn't bother getting the other person's info, trusting that the OP is himself an insurance investigator perfectly capable of assigning fault. Then, to payoff $1000 higher than necessary, saying, no problemo, keep the change, nevermind that we overestimated by 25%...

I want to join your insurance company...
Old 02-13-08 | 09:43 PM
Burst32
Pole Position

Maybe it was because I am at school out of state, and not at home. They had to send an independent adjustor service to estimate the damage, then they reported it back. The body shop was worried though, because they feel that they give good estimates, and they were hoping they wouldn't get screwed. Their original estimate was $3600, then after we found out what the insurance estimate was, we made the deal for $4,000 just incase. So who knows. It has been at the shop for 4 days now, supposed to be done on Friday so I assume there are no issues.
Old 02-19-08 | 12:04 PM
abda53
Driver School Candidate

Funny? Hardly.
Insane? Definitely.
Cursed? If so, you have brought it all on yourself.
Ethically Challenged? That doesn't even begin to describe you.

Where do I begin? For starters, when you have a traffic collision, West Virginia law requires you to exchange information with the other party and to report the collision to the DMV within 5 days.

You are in clear violation of the law.

On top of that, you lied to your insurance company. If you're so convinced that you did nothing wrong, then why did you feel the need to lie to your insurance agent - someone you have described as a "friend?" Is this the way you treat all your friends? You know you're in the wrong, which is why you made up your BS story. You know that if you'd told the truth you'd be found at least 50% at fault, and your insurance rates would go up. I believe that you knowingly lied to avoid this.

As if that weren't enough, you took advantage of an error on the part of your insurance company. You admit your repair costs were $3600, $4000 tops, yet you said nothing when they wrote you a check for $1000 in excess of those costs. Let me ask you something: if they had tried to write you a check for $3000, would you have accepted their check then? Or would you be on the phone with your agent friend demanding the correct amount? I guess an error is just fine as long as it is in your favor, right?

You brag about driving fast. You totalled your parents' Envoy when you were 16, you received a speeding ticket for 83 MPH in a 35 MPH zone, but you still think it's OK to drive way too fast on public roads. Maybe when Karma really catches up with you, it will be in a manner similar to this cocky little punk who wrapped his father's new BMW M5 around a tree, killing himself and 3 of his buddies. Maybe you'll end up winning a Darwin Award like that guy did.

Then there was that hit-and-run incident last fall, where someone scraped up the bumper of your car and didn't even leave a note. Did you ever get that one repaired? Or maybe you couldn't afford to get it fixed, and when this other collision happened, you just pretended that all of that prior damage occurred during the second collision? If that's true, that would be even more lies and fraud on your part.

You claim to be a soldier in the Marine Corps. According to the Marines' web site, they teach every recruit not to lie, cheat, or steal. Well, it seems to me that you need to go back to boot camp, because you obviously haven't learned those lessons very well. I wonder what your commanding officer would say about your behavior? Do you think he would approve?

You say that Karma has bitten you is the a$$. I think Karma hasn't even started working on you. Through your posts to this forum alone you have provided enough information for any insurance company or law enforcement agent to figure out who you are IRL. Maybe someone will print out this thread, along with those pictures you posted of your car which clearly show the license plate, and mail a copy to the cops and/or your insurance company. Maybe someone has already done it. Of course, since you haven't done anything legally or morally wrong, then it won't hurt for the police, your insurance company, your CO, and your parents to know the truth, right?

The other poster was right - you have a lot of growing up to do.
Old 02-19-08 | 12:24 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

These people on here are entitled to their $.02...but brush off the hateful comments. We all screw up every now and then...live and learn. I feel for you! I freak out if someone walks too close to my IS250...let alone it getting a minor scratch. Yikes! I hope everything works out in the long run. Take it easy turbo!
Old 02-19-08 | 12:38 PM
Smuckers
Driver School Candidate

hmm, let me get this straight. This dude a Marine (I bring this up since I am a Marine also) crashes his vehicle at 120mph, then claims it as a parking lot fender bender??

$5,000 in damages (which according to some of this puzzle were actually were less $$$), yet . . . everyone knows that to even conduct a replacement on a facia ESPECIALLY A LEXUS would cost almost all of that.
So . . . that brings me back to the accident at 120mph. Either these cars don't dent or I'm missing a LOT of the story.

so, also WHERE are the PICKS!!! and pics of this brused Jar Head??
Old 02-19-08 | 01:26 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Smuckers
hmm, let me get this straight. This dude a Marine (I bring this up since I am a Marine also) crashes his vehicle at 120mph, then claims it as a parking lot fender bender??

$5,000 in damages (which according to some of this puzzle were actually were less $$$), yet . . . everyone knows that to even conduct a replacement on a facia ESPECIALLY A LEXUS would cost almost all of that.
So . . . that brings me back to the accident at 120mph. Either these cars don't dent or I'm missing a LOT of the story.

Nah, the story has been twisted and editted so many times, it's hard to keep straight now. The only thing that's pretty sure is that he neglected to get the other person's info even though they both got out and assessed the damage. Then, he made his own judgement call on the definition of "hit and run" as "being hit by somebody I didn't previously know before on a social level" or something like that.

But no, the fender bender was in a parking lot, and the 120MPH was prior to that. He just thought it would be HILARIOUS to share that part of his day...
Old 02-19-08 | 01:27 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

I wonder if anyone will let this thread die (LOL)?
Old 02-19-08 | 06:29 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally Posted by Smuckers

Originally Posted by sirkfc
Nah, the story has been twisted and editted so many times, it's hard to keep straight now. The only thing that's pretty sure is that he neglected to get the other person's info even though they both got out and assessed the damage. Then, he made his own judgement call on the definition of "hit and run" as "being hit by somebody I didn't previously know before on a social level" or something like that.

But no, the fender bender was in a parking lot, and the 120MPH was prior to that. He just thought it would be HILARIOUS to share that part of his day...
**Ahem**
I am one of the few who read the "pre-edit" original post and if I recall correctly here's a summary:

OP says he was going 120 mph but made it safely onto a college campus parking lot.

The parking lot is where he and other car backed into each other making a huge "U" shape.

This the "funny" part - the irony of not hitting anything at 120 mph but backing into someone in a parking lot.

The insurance claim fraud is part two of the facade.

Originally Posted by Brian231
I wonder if anyone will let this thread die (LOL)?
Nah....why should we let it die? So the op can hope that people will forget about his lack of judgement? lol
Old 02-19-08 | 08:17 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

to the OP:

calm down. our opinions here are just that - opinions. don't get all worked up over other peoples' opinions.

oh, and please drive safely. 120 MPH anywhere - let alone surface streets - is just flat out unsafe. keep your right foot in check. the one time you think you won't get into an accident going that fast might just be that one time you do get into one.
Old 02-20-08 | 04:29 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MoLexus
Well there is one "****" person..........I guess his insurance company will file for bankrupt because of his claim. Insurance companies aren't going to go after people like the OP, they have much bigger ($$$$$) claims to worry about.
I guess you are right--there's nothing wrong with insurance fraud if you don't put the company out of business. Good theory.

"Oh, yeah--my golf clubs were in the trunk when my car was stolen."

Might as well just bilk them out of some $$$ if they are not going to "go after you". Sure--why not. Just do whatever you can get away with--words to live by.

Last edited by tex2670; 02-20-08 at 04:34 AM.