IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Windshield Replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-08, 11:04 AM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Windshield Replacement...

I have an appointment to get me windshield replaced on Friday. Its gonna be the first time that i have replaced a windshield in any car i have owned. I am replacing my windshield due to little pits all over it. The company that i am using it replacing it with th same windshield that came with the car but it won't say LEXUS. I was wondering if anyone has had a replacement yet and how it has gone with the new windshield???? Its cold as hell in Massachusetts so they are gonna put my car in their heated garage to do the job and let it sit in there for a few hours after the replacement so everything adheres properly.... Im still a little iffy though..

Give me some feedback on u guyes <---(I know thats not a word) experience with windshield replacement on ISx50s'

Pete
Old 02-12-08, 11:08 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd want a Lexus OEM windshield, not a generic model. If all you have is some pitting they can often polish that out if it is minor. Replacing a windshield is not that difficult and is done all the time.
Old 02-12-08, 11:08 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

I have seen a couple of windshields replaced for my sisters car, and many freinds. They all turned out fine. It s cold in Chicago as well, and the sealent will adhere. They will heat up the tar-like glue and it will adhere just fine.
Old 02-12-08, 11:15 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You should be fine with an installation in cold weather.I wouldn't drive the car for a few hours,tho.
If it doesn't say Lexus,you're getting a generic windshield.
Old 02-12-08, 12:20 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how much are you paying for aftermarket windshield?
Old 02-12-08, 03:13 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

windshields are free.... I am alotted 3 a year from my insurance company.
Old 02-12-08, 04:00 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced mine with a Lexus windshield. At the time that was all the can order because of a weatherstripping on the top of the windshield. It doesnt come with the aftermarket replacement.

They might reuse that, only problem is that there will be wind noise if they reuse it. I have seen that in previous post here about the front windshield being louder.

request and OEM!
Old 02-12-08, 07:09 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ReLexin
What he said^

Its cheap 'insurance' for an insurance company to pay for a new windshield...so that being said..get the Lexus one..not some potential POS aftermarket one.. I have a beater Toyota PU that has a generic windshield on it...and its cracked...since its a beater I don't worry about it too much..somehow I can tell its of lesser quality than a Toyota Corp one
Old 02-12-08, 08:06 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ReLexin
trust me when i tell you they arent free for you, you already paid for them in the cost of your insurance!
let me give you a little insurance tip!

first imagine you own an insurance company, your going to offer your clients an endorsement added to their policy that for a small fee will actually cause you to loose money! does that make any sence?
of course not. believe me its just like gambling the odds are always in the houses favor! over time if you add up the additional cost for either a low deductible or the additional cost for the free glass replacement verses the actual number of replaced windshields over time you will easily have spent more money for that bennifit than you will ever receive (on average)
what you should do is
take the additional premiums you would have paid with the lower deductible and glass replacement cost of your policy you pay now and put that amount into a savings account and when you have about 1000 bucks in there your deductible is already there waiting in reserve. (and earning interest i might add.)
another secrit you need to know, i dont know about the lexus but out of hundreds of windshields ive seen replaced if you pay cash for most cars they never exceed 300 bucks.
however if you claim that same glass on your insurance the glass companys know who has the deep pockets and that same windshield now costs about 3,000 and you have to pay your whole deductible.
so in the longrun its always less expensive on average to go with high deductibles and not buy all the incentives.

on a side note allstate has some kind of accident forgiveness crap. where your rates wont go up if you have an accident.
what they don't tell you on tv is that you have to pay extra for that feature. so really your just paying for the rate increase in advance all the time and if you never have one you loose. if you have claim after claim after claim i guarentee your rates will go up anyway so it's a loosing situation.

again i ask if it really saved you money, costing them more, or putting less money in the insurance companys pocket do you really think an insurance company would offer a way for you to take advantage of them? i think not...
features like these are only for people who dont have much money or cant manage their own money and cant afford an increase or a deductible. its just like credit if you have bad credit you always pay more for things than people who have good credit.
if you drive a lexus i am pretty sure you can self insure for about 1000 bucks. trust me in the end you will save a lot of money.
Old 02-12-08, 08:09 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sjgIS350
What he said^

Its cheap 'insurance' for an insurance company to pay for a new windshield...so that being said..get the Lexus one..not some potential POS aftermarket one.. I have a beater Toyota PU that has a generic windshield on it...and its cracked...since its a beater I don't worry about it too much..somehow I can tell its of lesser quality than a Toyota Corp one
all glass from toyota honda, hell all manufacturers comes from one of 3 glass companies that make and export glass all over the world. some of the most common are PPG and Silca i dont remember the third. i am pretty sure the factory glass is PPG and one of the most reputable glass companies anywhere and i would have absolutly no issues putting a PPG WS in my car its either exactly the same or better than OEM
the biggest difference is you dont pay the toyota price.
Old 02-12-08, 08:15 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
all glass from toyota honda, hell all manufacturers comes from one of 3 glass companies that make and export glass all over the world. some of the most common are PPG and Silca i dont remember the third. i am pretty sure the factory glass is PPG and one of the most reputable glass companies anywhere and i would have absolutly no issues putting a PPG WS in my car its either exactly the same or better than OEM
+1, when I was getting the glass on my last car (BMW) replaced, the shop owner told me that all glass is made in the same place. Adding the BMW (or Lexus) etching just adds to the price, not the quality. He told me this after everything was all paid for, and I paid my total deductible for the BMW glass; meaning he had nothing to sell and no reason to lie.
Old 02-12-08, 08:19 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
+1, when I was getting the glass on my last car (BMW) replaced, the shop owner told me that all glass is made in the same place. Adding the BMW (or Lexus) etching just adds to the price, not the quality. He told me this after everything was all paid for, and I paid my total deductible for the BMW glass; meaning he had nothing to sell and no reason to lie.
you should call him back and ask how much for a cash price installed WS on the same car. i bet it's less than 300 which in most cases is less than your deductible.
both my 2006 acura TSX and 2007 Ridgeline WS were less than 300.
if you get a price higher than that ask your agent to contact the glass company as i do. i tell them im an insurance agent and if you hook up my client with a good price ill send you all my business.
i use only 1 glass company for my clients and i get excellent deals on glass as a result. matter of fact ive gotten 2 W/S totally free in 5 years because i am an agent.
Old 02-12-08, 08:21 PM
LexyIS350
Driver

The one thing I would check out after installing the new windshield is the rain sensor. Take a hose to it and see if works only after the glue have dried of coarse.
Old 02-12-08, 08:30 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

you should call him back and ask how much for a cash price installed WS on the same car. i bet it's less than 300 which in most cases is less than your deductible.
both my 2006 acura TSX and 2007 Ridgeline WS were less than 300.
if you get a price higher than that ask your agent to contact the glass company as i do. i tell them im an insurance agent and if you hook up my client with a good price ill send you all my business.
i use only 1 glass company for my clients and i get excellent deals on glass as a result. matter of fact ive gotten 2 W/S totally free in 5 years because i am an agent.
Well, it was over a year ago, and I no longer own the car (THANK GOD!), but you're probably right. The glass was about $650 if memory serves, and my ded. was $500.
Old 02-13-08, 04:40 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Exactly.
All glass has to pass government safety standards.It's all the same except for the name in the corner.

I replaced a few windshields through the years,the last being on a Camry.Dealer wanted $900..A glass company came to my home and did the install for $325.