IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How do i take off the sharkfin??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-08, 09:31 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CAIFAN_64
haha funny my car is TP also, I did the black roof last week!!!! where are going ron???? are you going with john at promax???? The Fin is not taped....its only bolted on!! so just remove the headliner and unbolt the fin, and you are done. Also its not one hole it actually they are two small holes.

PS. Also thanks for the info on the smoked taillights ron, I got them down at areotect the same day I got my blackroof

oh twinsies alert!!!. sounds like you owe me. how on earth do i take of the headliner dude? johns doint it btw. email me some pics bro cookieronster219@gmail.com
Old 02-12-08, 09:36 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

extreme...the bay area! damn man if youre down to drive to socal then i would love to roll down with you haha. you up for that drive? Promax is doing it btw CAIFAN.
Old 02-12-08, 09:36 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad we don't have sharkfins in Middle East.
Old 02-12-08, 10:36 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

How about you email me those pictures too? extreme99@gmail.com

THanks!
Old 02-13-08, 07:44 AM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Originally Posted by IS_NIICE
im vinyling the roof black. so it's either i vinyl the roof black around the sharkfin and leave it silver and have a contrast. or remove it and put vinyl over--so holes would not really bother me. everyone i have called about black roof vinyl has said to leave the sharkfin silver because it actually comes out great. also getting a black jun-tw roof spoiler.
If you want an all-black look on the roof, why not just paint the fin black???????
Old 02-13-08, 07:44 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

I love the Sharkfin, it is basically a painted version of the Turk antenna. I was shocked to see my car being satellite ready with the headunit and Sharkfin, but still required the pricey tuner box. My dealer wanted $800 installed. I asked them if that came with a bowl of soup. What a joke!!! At least my non-satellite radio equiped vehicle looks nice with the Sharkfin. I did plug my XM into the Ipod jack, and it needed the noisefilter. I am having that done at the dealer as I type this. I will post my opinion relating if the problem was rectified.
Old 02-13-08, 09:40 AM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Brian231
I love the Sharkfin, it is basically a painted version of the Turk antenna. I was shocked to see my car being satellite ready with the headunit and Sharkfin, but still required the pricey tuner box. My dealer wanted $800 installed. I asked them if that came with a bowl of soup. What a joke!!! At least my non-satellite radio equiped vehicle looks nice with the Sharkfin. I did plug my XM into the Ipod jack, and it needed the noisefilter. I am having that done at the dealer as I type this. I will post my opinion relating if the problem was rectified.
You can do your own XM install in about an hour...just $300 for the parts....
Old 02-13-08, 09:52 AM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Default Got Rudder?

I dislike the shark fin and glad it did not come on the 06.
to me from certain view of the 2ndIS with a fin, the car looks smaller.

After recently getting my garmin navigation though, I thought I could use an external antennae to get better satellite reception, but they sell them internal as well so the hell with the fin.

Looks like a Euro import or something.
Old 02-13-08, 11:45 AM
IS_NIICE
Racer

alright alot of off topic in here...

Originally Posted by mikes rx
If you want an all-black look on the roof, why not just paint the fin black???????
wow this is a class act. how am i supposed to paint it if i cant take it off??? that was the whole point of the thread. btw it's cheaper to buy a new one. only 80 clams for a painted oem fin. however the subject is that i have no idea how to even take it off--even if i were to paint it.
Old 02-13-08, 11:47 AM
mikes rx

alright alot of off topic in here...

wow this is a class act. how am i supposed to paint it if i cant take it off??? and im the dumb one.

No one said that it wouldn't come OFF. I said that it wouldn't come off WITHOUT LEAVING HOLES.

I was giving you an option that you didn't mention: if you don't want holes, but want an all black roof, take the fin off and paint it.

Using your comment:

im vinyling the roof black. so it's either i vinyl the roof black around the sharkfin and leave it silver and have a contrast. or remove it and put vinyl over--so holes would not really bother me. everyone i have called about black roof vinyl has said to leave the sharkfin silver because it actually comes out great. also getting a black jun-tw roof spoiler.
How are you going to vinyl AROUND the fin. Not possible, unless it's spliced in a few different places, which would be UGLY.
Old 02-13-08, 11:52 AM
IS_NIICE
Racer

No one said that it wouldn't come OFF. I said that it wouldn't come off WITHOUT LEAVING HOLES.

So, if you're concerned about holes, but want an all black roof, take the fin off and paint it.

Using your comment:

How are you going to vinyl AROUND the fin. Not possible, unless it's spliced in a few different places, which would be UGLY.

oh okay. it's in the installers hands. i really have no knowledge whatsoever about vinyl. my guess is that it would look similar to the aerotect taillight film where there are lines visible. but i think since its black it won't be very easy to spot. right now it is looking like i am gonna have to leave the sharkfin on. i took a look and i wouldn't even know where to begin dropping the headliner.
Old 02-13-08, 11:53 AM
mikes rx

I think we both edited our comments at the same time, so I'll just clarify:

The fin CAN be removed. I don't have the fin, but from what others have said it's bolted down. Therefore, you can probably just drop the headliner to access the bolts. However, I'm not sure how easy it is to even drop the headliner.

But, there's another thread going on about the headliner removal.

Last edited by mikes rx; 02-13-08 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-13-08, 11:58 AM
mikes rx

In response to the vinyl issue:

If it's spliced, you're going to be able to see lines, whether it be overlap lines (due to it being cut too large) or butted-up lines.

Think about it like tint: what would happen if you tinted your rear windshield in multiple sections. You'd either see overlap or you'd see clear in the windshield. Same with the silver paint.

Your best bet would probably be for a single piece of vinyl. If the installer knows what they're doing, you shouldn't have too many problems.
Old 02-13-08, 12:01 PM
IS_NIICE
Racer

In response to the vinyl issue:

If it's spliced, you're going to be able to see lines, whether it be overlap lines (due to it being cut too large) or butted-up lines.

Think about it like tint: what would happen if you tinted your rear windshield in multiple sections. You'd either see overlap or you'd see clear in the windshield. Same with the silver paint.

Your best bet would probably be for a single piece of vinyl.

yeah my taillights are smoked this way since the surface is too hard to tint. it does not look too bad, but i asked him and he said that he would stick the vinyl very close together there would only be lines that i could feel. but hey, if i can i pull my sharkfin then i would rather do it that way. at least i could just stick on top afterward through the vinyl or even just leave it off...but the damn headliner
Old 02-13-08, 12:05 PM
mikes rx

You shouldn't have to drop the ENTIRE headliner. If you have the right dexterity and the right tools, you could probably just drop the lower half of the headliner.

I'm sure someone on this forum has the Service manual to describe how to do this!!!

Quick Reply: How do i take off the sharkfin??