IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

staggered wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-08, 07:49 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there has to be some tolerence, even if it's to account for wear. They just won't tell me what it is....cause lets face it .1" is almost negligable....I have to wonder if the tires them selfs are maufactured at that kind of tolerence...

This is a good point. What if you had the stock set-up with a worn tire that maybe under inflated? I'm sure the overall diam. wiould be different...
Old 03-28-08, 07:50 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
the rear tires (wider) would only have greater traction in a situation where the front tires are slipping. how often would this happen in an AWD 250? pretty much never, not enough power
just going down the road, all tires have equal traction or else they wouldn't be turning at the same speed; the wonders of an open differential.
i dont know for sure, but most likely the awd system works on an IS utilizing a viscous center differential.a viscous center diff works just like an open diff if traction between front and rear is equal; i.e. going down the road, driving normally. only in the event of either the front or rear axles spinning at different speeds would the viscous diff tighten up and lock the diff. in that event, since our OD on the tires is the same, again, there would be no issues, since rotational speed would be equalized momentarily by the vcd.
the additional traction of the wider rear tires is a non issue. technically, since the drivetrain is rwd biased, the stickier rear tires would grip better than stock, keeping the center diff from having to do more work than it would if it had stock wheels and tires; thereby reducing wear and tear.

the statement about offsets being differnt sounds like some political wool being pulled over someone's eyes. of course the offsets have to be different, the wheel widths are different, but the outer lips would be in line with each other front to rear if the setup is correct. again, he stated that the traction difference would cause a problem. there is no traction difference if there is no wheel spin! wheel spin would be minimized because of the wider rear tires anyway. the only time there would be a traction difference is going around a corner, but guess what? all cars have traction differences going around corners, that's why 99% of all cars have open differentials to allow this to happen without drivetrain stress. the IS has open rear and front diffs, so, NO wear. even the center diff, being viscous, won't activate going around a corner because it takes a certain amount of speed difference to lock it up , which isn't attained by simply going around a corner. even if it were, it wouldn't be any more than stock, because OD is still the same, so rotational speeds stay the same.

i really don't think it's about anyone being smarter than an engineer at lexus, but rather economics. IS250 people would rather be able to rotate their tires than have a cool looking staggered setup; bottom line. awd IS250' s are the practical cars for practical people.

even the understeer thought isn't really applicable because the guy wanting to stagger his 250 says he wanted it for looks, not performance. reaching hte limits of the suspension and tires isn't going to happen for a daily cruiser, besides, all stock cars understeer anyway.
Nice writeup.
Very informative.
How about on snow or wet roads?

Last edited by Joeb427; 03-28-08 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-28-08, 08:55 AM
almacruel
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Nice writeup.
Very informative.

Thats when you put the stock wheels back on well for snow atleast
Old 03-28-08, 09:25 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by almacruel
Thats when you put the stock wheels back on well for snow atleast

Old 03-28-08, 10:16 AM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Porsche staggers their sizes on their AWD drive cars, SOOOOOOOO.
Old 03-28-08, 10:54 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Big *****
there has to be some tolerence, even if it's to account for wear. They just won't tell me what it is....cause lets face it .1" is almost negligable....I have to wonder if the tires them selfs are maufactured at that kind of tolerence...

This is a good point. What if you had the stock set-up with a worn tire that maybe under inflated? I'm sure the overall diam. wiould be different...
yup, you want to make sure all tires are worn teh same amount and inflated the same. that can make a pretty decent difference in OD. regarding tire manufacturer tolerances, they are the same within brands but not across brands. some tire brands 265's are wider than other 265's. same with sidewalls.

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Nice writeup.
Very informative.
well, in limited traction situations, the center diff will be working more, but not any more than with stock wheels/tires because the actual rotational speeds will be the same.
the front and rear diffs are open, so you could have different speeds on each side of the car due to the nature of an open diff, but again, not any different than stock.
Old 03-28-08, 02:58 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
the rear tires (wider) would only have greater traction in a situation where the front tires are slipping. how often would this happen in an AWD 250? pretty much never, not enough power
just going down the road, all tires have equal traction or else they wouldn't be turning at the same speed; the wonders of an open differential.
i dont know for sure, but most likely the awd system works on an IS utilizing a viscous center differential.a viscous center diff works just like an open diff if traction between front and rear is equal; i.e. going down the road, driving normally. only in the event of either the front or rear axles spinning at different speeds would the viscous diff tighten up and lock the diff. in that event, since our OD on the tires is the same, again, there would be no issues, since rotational speed would be equalized momentarily by the vcd.
the additional traction of the wider rear tires is a non issue. technically, since the drivetrain is rwd biased, the stickier rear tires would grip better than stock, keeping the center diff from having to do more work than it would if it had stock wheels and tires; thereby reducing wear and tear.

the statement about offsets being differnt sounds like some political wool being pulled over someone's eyes. of course the offsets have to be different, the wheel widths are different, but the outer lips would be in line with each other front to rear if the setup is correct. again, he stated that the traction difference would cause a problem. there is no traction difference if there is no wheel spin! wheel spin would be minimized because of the wider rear tires anyway. the only time there would be a traction difference is going around a corner, but guess what? all cars have traction differences going around corners, that's why 99% of all cars have open differentials to allow this to happen without drivetrain stress. the IS has open rear and front diffs, so, NO wear. even the center diff, being viscous, won't activate going around a corner because it takes a certain amount of speed difference to lock it up , which isn't attained by simply going around a corner. even if it were, it wouldn't be any more than stock, because OD is still the same, so rotational speeds stay the same.

i really don't think it's about anyone being smarter than an engineer at lexus, but rather economics. IS250 people would rather be able to rotate their tires than have a cool looking staggered setup; bottom line. awd IS250' s are the practical cars for practical people.

even the understeer thought isn't really applicable because the guy wanting to stagger his 250 says he wanted it for looks, not performance. reaching hte limits of the suspension and tires isn't going to happen for a daily cruiser, besides, all stock cars understeer anyway.
The Torsen torque sensing/biasing center diff uses helical planetary gears that can transfer the torque 65/35 to 35/65 depending on the traction.

Koz
Old 03-29-08, 07:40 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

ah,so it is a torsen. i wasn't sure which. either way though, unless there is a serious speed differential between front and rear, the diff won't do anything outside of it's built in bias.
Old 03-30-08, 01:09 PM
mofat01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 505whp EH2
if you're worried, u could run staggered lips. my friend did that on his TL since it was FWD. he ran 20x9.5 all around with no rubbing and ran 245/30/20 all the way around but they were stretched. it was a 2" front lip and 3.5" rear lip
Thats what I plan to do on my AWD, just run same size rim with different lips. Do most manufactures have option to select different lip sizes? Or will I be limited on my choices?
Old 03-30-08, 02:25 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I only understood about 1/3 of what 19psi wrote, and due to my limited knowledge on car parts, I want to ask this:

If the back tire is wider than the front, then the back tire will inherently have more traction (contact surface) as compared to the front.

Now more traction is due to the fact that there is more friction generated from more surface, that would mean more power is needed to turn the back wheel as compare to the front wheels right? (to overcome the friction)

If this is the case, and lets say this applies every time you turn, stop, accelerate, would this not cause premature wear if the normal threshold wear of our drive train did not design for extra power in the back continuously like this? (as compared to the original skinner back wheels)

And since the exact threshold is unknown, and really no one can say this for sure, I dont feel safe with a stagger setup. However, this is only with my limited knowledge physics and no knowledge of differentials and what not, so BLESS ME WITH THE KNOWLEDGE haha (the way my back wheel is tucked in is aggravating)

Last edited by mikez; 03-30-08 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-31-08, 05:34 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mofat01
Thats what I plan to do on my AWD, just run same size rim with different lips. Do most manufactures have option to select different lip sizes? Or will I be limited on my choices?
you're going to be limited, not too many makers who do that. look at axis wheels.

Originally Posted by mikez
I only understood about 1/3 of what 19psi wrote, and due to my limited knowledge on car parts, I want to ask this:

If the back tire is wider than the front, then the back tire will inherently have more traction (contact surface) as compared to the front.

Now more traction is due to the fact that there is more friction generated from more surface, that would mean more power is needed to turn the back wheel as compare to the front wheels right? (to overcome the friction)

If this is the case, and lets say this applies every time you turn, stop, accelerate, would this not cause premature wear if the normal threshold wear of our drive train did not design for extra power in the back continuously like this? (as compared to the original skinner back wheels)

And since the exact threshold is unknown, and really no one can say this for sure, I dont feel safe with a stagger setup. However, this is only with my limited knowledge physics and no knowledge of differentials and what not, so BLESS ME WITH THE KNOWLEDGE haha (the way my back wheel is tucked in is aggravating)
that's a good point you make there. i can only answer that 2 ways.
1. porsche does it with their awd cars
2. try rolling a 265 tire and a 225 tire as fast as you can on a level street. there's not any difference. imagine 100x more hp and mechanical advantage from the transmission and rear end doing it on a car, it's even easier.
Old 03-31-08, 08:24 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I gave this a bit more of a thought last night and here is what I came up with;

Porsche are rear engine designed and the weight ratio if not close to 50/50 are pretty much butt heavy, therefore their back wheel already have more traction due to force (another way to gain traction with same contact surface is to add more force pushing down), however with a bigger contact surface on the back wheel, the force/weight is spread out and thus the friction per unit area depending on the type of tire, are slightly more if not the same as a non stagger setup.

That same cannot be said of our IS which are front heavy.

Now, the thing being that, I would ASSUME running with a stagger setup would PROBABLY cause as much frictional/force difference as if you are running with or without a spare tire, or a trunk full of groceries, or driving with a full car as oppose to yourself.

I'm doing engineering in school right now and unless you know what to assume and what magnitude the equation/stress/strain changes by, the result of assuming something wrong can be catastrophic.

I don't want that to happen to our cars you know? But I really want that stagger setup... trying to find good deals on nice looking rims thats not stagger is pita
Old 03-31-08, 08:21 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Someone call or ask a Tech at Lexus if this can be done! I will see if i can reach them tomorrow. I was in there a few days ago but they where so into my car when i was there and trying to talk me into the ISF and some track event they are trying to get with the ISF. I will post an answer later tomorrow.
Old 04-01-08, 06:42 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikez
I gave this a bit more of a thought last night and here is what I came up with;

Porsche are rear engine designed and the weight ratio if not close to 50/50 are pretty much butt heavy, therefore their back wheel already have more traction due to force (another way to gain traction with same contact surface is to add more force pushing down), however with a bigger contact surface on the back wheel, the force/weight is spread out and thus the friction per unit area depending on the type of tire, are slightly more if not the same as a non stagger setup.

That same cannot be said of our IS which are front heavy.

Now, the thing being that, I would ASSUME running with a stagger setup would PROBABLY cause as much frictional/force difference as if you are running with or without a spare tire, or a trunk full of groceries, or driving with a full car as oppose to yourself.

I'm doing engineering in school right now and unless you know what to assume and what magnitude the equation/stress/strain changes by, the result of assuming something wrong can be catastrophic.

I don't want that to happen to our cars you know? But I really want that stagger setup... trying to find good deals on nice looking rims thats not stagger is pita
ok, i see what you're saying here. my counterpoint; if the rear tires are wider on a front heavy IS, wouldn't that then decrease the coefficient of friction on the rear wheels, so that with a wider tire and lower friction, there would be less drag than with a stock setup?
Old 04-01-08, 06:45 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by passnu2
Someone call or ask a Tech at Lexus if this can be done! I will see if i can reach them tomorrow. I was in there a few days ago but they where so into my car when i was there and trying to talk me into the ISF and some track event they are trying to get with the ISF. I will post an answer later tomorrow.
i doubt if a tech would know. i'm factory lexus, audi, nissan and jaguar certified and stuff like this is pretty much never covered in any classes we have to take. most tech hate aftermarket anything anyway,s o they would just say no just to make srue they dont' ahve to deal with aftermarket wheels and tires sometime in the future.
me; i am an aftermarket nut, so i dont' care. based on my experience, knowledge and training, i really don't see any problem with doing it. i'd do it on my personal car if i had an awd IS. hell i've been considering it for my WRX, nobody has staggered wheels on one, i'd like to be the first.

Quick Reply: staggered wheels