IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

staggered wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-08, 09:12 PM
is250omer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any updates to this debate?...does anyone w/ staggered setup have anything to reports???
Old 06-10-08, 05:08 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Let's face it, if you ask a Lexus tech, dealership, or Lexus corp, you'll get the same answer......staggering wheels will void your warrantee!!! That's what they're supposed to do whether we like it or not. I had 350 wheels on my car when I took it to a dealership while on business travel and he said even that would impact the AWD system.

Will staggering wheels mess up your AWD....I can't say for sure, but after 2 years, I have not had any problems (where's Leroy's head when I need to "knock on wood")

You really should keep the OD of the front and rear tires as close as possible. I use 225-35 and 235-35 which is very close. Another "trick" would be to run a setup like:

(F) 19x8.5 +30 offset with 225-35-19
(R) 19x8.5 +15 offset with 225-35-19

This way, you have the staggered look by using a lower offset in back, but you keep the tires sizes exactly the same.

Regardless, if you have any issue with your AWD system and are running anything other than the stock setup, the dealership will tell you the damage (if it happens) was caused by your aftermarket wheel setup.
Old 06-10-08, 05:27 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMark
Let's face it, if you ask a Lexus tech, dealership, or Lexus corp, you'll get the same answer......staggering wheels will void your warrantee!!! That's what they're supposed to do whether we like it or not. I had 350 wheels on my car when I took it to a dealership while on business travel and he said even that would impact the AWD system.

Will staggering wheels mess up your AWD....I can't say for sure, but after 2 years, I have not had any problems (where's Leroy's head when I need to "knock on wood")

You really should keep the OD of the front and rear tires as close as possible. I use 225-35 and 235-35 which is very close. Another "trick" would be to run a setup like:

(F) 19x8.5 +30 offset with 225-35-19
(R) 19x8.5 +15 offset with 225-35-19

This way, you have the staggered look by using a lower offset in back, but you keep the tires sizes exactly the same.

Regardless, if you have any issue with your AWD system and are running anything other than the stock setup, the dealership will tell you the damage (if it happens) was caused by your aftermarket wheel setup.

Very True & Well said

I am pretty sure we have 2 members that just recently went staggered with no issues also and a little more extreme then what you mentioned Mark.

Lets face it many AWD cars out on the road have this and some from OEM status.

If I had the AWD I would have the same rims I have now but with a smaller tire in the rear to keep my OD similar front to rear.
Old 06-10-08, 11:31 AM
Ozzy
Driver School Candidate

I just got my staggered setup done about a month ago, no problems to report, im running 235/30/20 in the front and 285/25/20 in the rears
Old 06-10-08, 11:57 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozzy
I just got my staggered setup done about a month ago, no problems to report, im running 235/30/20 in the front and 285/25/20 in the rears

Wow.....I would not suggest running 20's on the AWD. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't run 20's on the new or old IS at all. It's just too big of a wheel for that car. The increased weight must be great for the gas mileage, not to mention that 2.5 trying to push it around.
Old 06-10-08, 12:16 PM
andyboy
Lead Lap

I plan on purchasing the X-Package wheels but will buy them as 18.8 all around. The hardest part is buying them from people who are willing to sell them seperate, or without the 18x8.5....

Looking for two 18x8 X-Pac wheels....anyone willing to sell??
Old 06-10-08, 12:22 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrMark
Wow.....I would not suggest running 20's on the AWD. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't run 20's on the new or old IS at all. It's just too big of a wheel for that car. The increased weight must be great for the gas mileage, not to mention that 2.5 trying to push it around.
what where you running on that red rocket or yours?? 19's

I do not have AWD but why do suggest not to get 20" rims? I would think that with some of these light weight rims out there they have to be fairly close to the OEM rims weight? just my thinking anyway...I like 19's on the car but that is my opinion only.

Good luck on the sale of your car! Looks great
Old 06-10-08, 12:23 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by andyboy
I plan on purchasing the X-Package wheels but will buy them as 18.8 all around. The hardest part is buying them from people who are willing to sell them seperate, or without the 18x8.5....

Looking for two 18x8 X-Pac wheels....anyone willing to sell??
Try Luis at Carson?? Im sure he will take good care of you
Old 06-10-08, 12:25 PM
andyboy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by passnu2
Try Luis at Carson?? Im sure he will take good care of you
Can you PM me his contact?
Old 06-10-08, 12:26 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^^PM sent
Old 08-17-08, 09:17 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Interesting thread, I like it.

I've been running a staggered setup on my awd for 2.5 years/8000 miles. I don't know for sure if I have any awd problems but I also cannot detect any problems. From reading a Lexus tech sheet, if the Lexus awd system detects different wheel rpm's (slippage) due to different diameter tires it will shut off the 4WD system (differential control) causing the "check engine" to illuminate in the gauge cluster (DTC C1299/99 Cancellation of 4WD Control). I've never had this DTC therefore I'm assuming everything is okay.

One thing that I have noticed is that I've always experienced some level of vibration around 60-75mph. I've had the car 4-wheel aligned and the wheels/tires road force balanced many times. I'm not 100% sure if it's the wheels/tires or the drivetrain. However, I did put my stock wheels back on two weeks ago and the car ran very smooth. I have reason to believe my aftermarket wheels/tires may be out of balance/round?

In addition to the Porsche running a factory staggered awd, here is a list of other awd vehicles that either run a stock or factory optioned staggered setup; BMW X5, X6, 328/335xi, 528/535xi, 09 Skyline GT-R, Audi R8, and Lambo Gallardo. I've went on Tire Rack and the replacement tires for the BMW 3 and 5 series staggered options could are as much as a .3" difference between front and rear. Based on what BMW is doing it must be okay to run a staggered setup with rolling diameters that are very close.

Another thing to consider is rolling resistance. Being that the GS doesn't have an adjustable rear camber kit, my rear wheels/tires are at a negative 2-2.2 degrees. Due to the reduced contact patch, this definitely creates less rolling resistance in the rear? Also, my rears tires get eaten up significantly faster than the fronts, which is why I'm shopping for new tires at 8000 miles. The fronts still looked really good. The positive side of the negative camber is that it's helping to prevent any rubbing on the rear fenders.

Any thoughts on how negative camber effects rolling resistance/diameter between front and rear and how to compensate?
Old 08-17-08, 12:39 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You bring up good points Nardeezy about the other car manufacturers using staggered wheels on their AWDs.
Old 08-17-08, 01:13 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sincityIS
You bring up good points Nardeezy about the other car manufacturers using staggered wheels on their AWDs.
What amazes me is that the BMW's have factory options for 18", 19", 20" and 21" awd staggered setups. It's crazy because most people will tell you that staggered wheels/tires will damage an awd system. Yet, BMW is offering aggressive staggered setups on their AWD line suv (X5), sav (X6) and sedans (3 and 5 series) in which the tires cannot be cross rotated. ALso, as I mentioned earlier, some of the replacement tires on TIre Rack have overall diameters that are not exactly the same.

Previously, you could rationalize why it was okay for a Porsche or Lambo to stagger their awd's because of engine location, horsepower, overall design etc.. However, every awd vehicle has a center differential. Some may be designed a little differently than others but the bottom line is that they do the EXACT same thing, which is compensate wheel speeds between the front and rear wheels. How is it that we are seeing more and more vehicles with awd staggered setups? How are those AWD center differentials any different from the Lexus/Toyota center differential?
Old 08-17-08, 03:19 PM
DoHwan
Lead Lap

just get 20x10 all around hahaha. that would look pimp!
but I suggest that you do not run a staggered setup. 'cause there must be a reason for it to be the same all around. It's not an "accident" 'cause the rwd comes with staggered setup from factory doesn't it? but hey.. it's YOUR car and so you can do WATEVER you want to it I could paint my is350 baby blue and people would hate but it's MY car so it don't matter.
Old 08-17-08, 06:00 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

b
Originally Posted by DoHwan
just get 20x10 all around hahaha. that would look pimp!
but I suggest that you do not run a staggered setup. 'cause there must be a reason for it to be the same all around. It's not an "accident" 'cause the rwd comes with staggered setup from factory doesn't it? but hey.. it's YOUR car and so you can do WATEVER you want to it I could paint my is350 baby blue and people would hate but it's MY car so it don't matter.
I've been staggered for a while already. The point I'm trying to make is that the mindset of damaging an AWD system with a stagger is changing. Over the past few years I've been seeing an increase in AWD factory staggered setups. If the mfgs are supporting staggered setups on awd lines than it must not damage the center diff?

Quick Reply: staggered wheels