IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

tax rebate.....up to $600 $$$

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-08, 12:08 PM
vertcobra9
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you know what I have read the fine print in the so called tax rebate... and its all a sham. Do you actually know where this money is comming from? ITS COMMING FROM NEXT YEARS REFUND. Thats right. The money you recieve from this so called refund will be deducted from next years tax return. So much for a rebate
Old 02-14-08, 12:15 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by vertcobra9
you know what I have read the fine print in the so called tax rebate... and its all a sham. Do you actually know where this money is comming from? ITS COMMING FROM NEXT YEARS REFUND. Thats right. The money you recieve from this so called refund will be deducted from next years tax return. So much for a rebate
It will not be deducted from a refund.
Worse case scenario is the rebate MAY be income which may be taxed.So the $600 or $1200 can be taxable maybe costing you $100-$200-$300 or more depending on your tax bracket.

Last edited by Joeb427; 02-14-08 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-14-08, 12:23 PM
rocampo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone Got Good Plans For Thier Money That There Getting
Old 02-14-08, 12:27 PM
almacruel
Pole Position

Pay off my wheels I'm hoping
Old 02-14-08, 12:28 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vertcobra9
This rebate will not effect next years refund, this is set from congress in order to help improve the economy due to a recession. That is why it was proposed and signed by Bush this morning. This occured about 7 years ago when the economy was hurting. It is to increase consumer spending.
Old 02-14-08, 12:34 PM
RI-Lex
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Going into savings, putting everything away lately
Old 02-14-08, 12:45 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

What this money actually is is an advance on a one-time tax credit that will be on your returns next year.

It's not taxable income.

It won't reduce your refund.

Congress is simply giving everyone (well, nearly everyone) a tax credit in 2008, and they're sending you a check -now- for what they think that credit will be (based on your 07 info).

If what your actual credit should be in 2008 ends up higher (ie you have an extra kid or something) then you'll get the additional money in 08.

if it's lower (you worked full time and for some weird reason in 08 don't work at all or something) you still get to keep whatever they sent you in 07.

And honestly, if you're ever getting any refunds you're doing your witholding wrong. Why give the government an interest free loan for a year?
Old 02-14-08, 12:51 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really wish people would manage their finances so that an extra $600 check doesn't automatically translate to a new purchase they otherwise would not have made.

I'm just putting mine in the bank, knowing that if I wanted a new set of wheels or tires, I could have already bought them without much burden. I'm in trouble if I needed the $600 to get me to buy something worth $600.
Old 02-14-08, 12:54 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sirkfc
I really wish people would manage their finances so that an extra $600 check doesn't automatically translate to a new purchase they otherwise would not have made.

I'm just putting mine in the bank, knowing that if I wanted a new set of wheels or tires, I could have already bought them without much burden. I'm in trouble if I needed the $600 to get me to buy something worth $600.
Cracks me up that people have already spent it.....my guess is the same people that charge everything, pay the minimum while living month to month on their pay check and swimming in high interest dept. God I love America!

to answer the original question: College fund for baby girl.
Old 02-14-08, 01:07 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Well,this upcoming $1200 check combined for the wife and I really has nothing to do with my purchases.
I'm fortunate to be able to buy my mods without the need of this rebate.
This rebate is being given with the hope of most people spending to get the economy going.
I do my share without any rebates.
Old 02-14-08, 01:10 PM
tshek
Pole Position

Actually I spend the money/order the part that i want before they announce the rebate. So for me now, those parts are free.

but i agree with you, make 600 and spend 600 is not a good thing.....
Old 02-14-08, 01:17 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
Smart move.
My daughter went to college and has a nice job and my son is in his second year.
I planned ahead like you and it was a smart move.You're doing the right thing.
Old 02-14-08, 01:29 PM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
Cracks me up that people have already spent it.....my guess is the same people that charge everything, pay the minimum while living month to month on their pay check and swimming in high interest dept. God I love America!

Ya that is why i feel sorry for my parents... even though they be making in the higher 200 thousands... tax takes away alot and five kids spend alot from weekly expenses (100 dollars each for food, 100-200 on other stuff, 50 each on gas) to yearly expenses ( insurance for 5 kids which is about 23,500 and dual medial insurances is about 18,000)... 3 kids in college (one going to graduate school), and 2 more going to college next year.

Last edited by inxexisten; 02-14-08 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-14-08, 01:36 PM
WhoDat
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Brian231
Lexus Financial Services !!! No party with the money at my end!! Below is the timeline we will be receiving the loot!!!

The check is in the mail

Week
Last 2 digits of your SSN
Receive your check by week of

00 - 09
July 23

10 - 19
July 30

20 - 29
August 6

30 - 39
August 13

40 - 49
August 20

50 - 59
August 27

60 - 69
Sept. 3

70 - 79
Sept. 10

80 - 89
Sept. 17

90 - 99
Sept. 24

For married taxpayers who filed a joint return, the first Social Security Number on the return determines the mailing date.Source: Internal Revenue Service
The information contained in
That info was from the 2001 time frame... This year they say the will start in May but I didn't see a table for pay out...

FS-2008-15, February 2008

Starting in May, the Treasury will begin sending economic stimulus payments to more than 130 million individuals. The stimulus payments will go out through the late spring and summer.

The vast majority of Americans who qualify for an economic stimulus payment will not have to do anything other than file their 2007 individual income tax return to receive their payment this year. They will not have to complete applications, file any extra forms or call the Internal Revenue Service to request the payment, which is automatic. The IRS will determine eligibility, figure the amount and issue the payment.

Stimulus payments will be direct deposited for taxpayers selecting that option when filing their 2007 tax returns. Taxpayers who have already filed with direct deposit won't need to do anything else to receive the stimulus payment. For taxpayers who haven't filed their 2007 returns yet, the IRS reminds them that direct deposit is the fastest way to get both regular refunds and stimulus payments.

Basic Eligibility

The IRS will use the 2007 tax return to determine eligibility and calculate the basic amount of the payment. In most cases, the payment will equal the amount of tax liability on the return with a maximum amount of $600 for individuals ($1,200 for taxpayers who file a joint return) and a minimum of $300 for individuals ($600 for taxpayers who file a joint return).

Even those who have little or no tax liability may qualify for a minimum payment of $300 ($600 if filing a joint return) if their tax return reflects $3,000 or more in qualifying income. For the purpose of the stimulus payments, qualifying income consists of earned income such as wages and net self-employment income as well as Social Security or certain Railroad Retirement benefits and veterans’ disability compensation, pension or survivors’ benefits received from the Department of Veterans Affairs in 2007. However, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) does not count as qualifying income for the stimulus payment.
Nonetheless....I'm banking mine.....saving for the next gen IS
Old 02-14-08, 01:51 PM
inwood
Lead Lap

Daddy needs a new set of golf clubs

Quick Reply: tax rebate.....up to $600 $$$