IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How can you check that the headlight turns?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-08, 08:41 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
The IS with stock HIDs does have AFS. I forgot to mention in my earlier post that the feature can be disabled via the same controls used for the TPMS (switches left of steering wheel); the original poster should make sure that his isn't turned off.
If it was turned off, there would be an "AFS OFF" warning light on constantly.
Old 02-14-08, 09:52 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

after i adjusted my headlights per specification in the manuel (higher) so i can actually see with the low beams. the AFS feature is significantly more pronounced by the fact the headlights now point down the road like they are supposed to rather than lighting up 20 feet in front of the car like foglights. (from the factory)
because the beams point higher and farther out the turning of the headlights actually makes them sweep around corners. very noticable because the radius of the beam is so much farther down the road.

also i should mention if you do adjust the headlights follow the instructions exactly there are several threads on this already. i made an actual screen out of a large cardboard box and some black tape to draw the alignment lines. i lined up my lights dead on and accurate. as a result they actually show up on the road just a little wider apart than stock which significantly improved the maximum amounts left and right they sweep as you turn.
Old 02-15-08, 06:43 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
If it was turned off, there would be an "AFS OFF" warning light on constantly.
Good point. I forgot about that light.
Old 02-15-08, 06:55 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Nope, just one option, code "HL", includes bi-Xenon high intensity discharge (HID) headlamps with adaptive front lighting system and auto-leveling.
Very good to know, I wish I was able to find an IS without Navi that had the HID option on the dealer lot. I am not sure why I was under the inclination that the 2gen IS did not have AFS. I can see from the posts, everyone loves this feature. We'll, the next time around, I will special order with OEM HID and AFS. I'll wait and see what the 3gen will looks like. Maybe they will go back to having standard HID's like the Gen 1. Lexus loves those pricy Ala Cart option packages though.
Old 02-15-08, 08:06 AM
Shoganai
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by almacruel
If your car has the AFS you will notice it while your driving... I miss mine when I put springs on my car the AFS light turned on and they haven't been working since...
When you had the springs intall the mechanic must of unbolted the leveling arm and put it back on backwards. This is usually the cause of the AFS not working when replacing the suspensions in our cars.

Check these threads out that will hopefully help you out w/ your situation.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=220113&page=2

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&highlight=afs
Old 02-15-08, 12:32 PM
truce209
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

luckily i was able to get the afs on my car.. it def helps out and looks pretty cool. when i had the rx as a loner, i saw that the afs on that moved alot more then on my is.
Old 02-15-08, 01:23 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
after i adjusted my headlights per specification in the manuel (higher) so i can actually see with the low beams. the AFS feature is significantly more pronounced by the fact the headlights now point down the road like they are supposed to rather than lighting up 20 feet in front of the car like foglights. (from the factory)
because the beams point higher and farther out the turning of the headlights actually makes them sweep around corners. very noticable because the radius of the beam is so much farther down the road.

also i should mention if you do adjust the headlights follow the instructions exactly there are several threads on this already. i made an actual screen out of a large cardboard box and some black tape to draw the alignment lines. i lined up my lights dead on and accurate. as a result they actually show up on the road just a little wider apart than stock which significantly improved the maximum amounts left and right they sweep as you turn.
Left is supposed to be lower than right so that you don't blind oncoming traffic.....hopefully this is something you considered when adjusting.
Old 02-15-08, 09:22 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
Left is supposed to be lower than right so that you don't blind oncoming traffic.....hopefully this is something you considered when adjusting.
that is incorrect, according to the adjustment procedure both light are supposed to be pointing directly straight ahead and fall 1.25 inches i believe at 25 feet.
they are designed so the beam pattern on each light is lower to the left. so far not 1 single oncomming car has ever flashed me.
the only thing i don't understand is if the specified alignment works exactly as you would expect it to why does lexus adjust them out of spec and way too low from the factory?
Old 02-16-08, 06:32 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Well, I must be incorrect since every OEM HID I've ever seen has left lower than right.....
Old 02-16-08, 06:52 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I must be incorrect since every OEM HID I've ever seen has left lower than right.....
the headlights on all HID have a beam pattern that looks like this on both sides
_______/--------- < on the left headlight, same on the right> _______/-------

so they dont blind people but the _/- part of each headlight is right in the middle. the manuel states that the higher part /------ should be 1.25 inches below the centerline of each headlight @ 25 feet
this means the ________/ part is well below the oncomming traffic field of view.

think about it for a minute, it makes sence because when you sit in the car your eyes are about 18-24 inches higher than your headlights. assuming your on flat ground and the other cars are similar their eyes are in the same position as yours.
so if the beam drops 1.25 inches at 25 feet, its well below their eyes at 500 feet and still below their eye level as they pass.

if you have not adjusted yours i highly reccommend you try, night and day difference! IMO the car is actually dangerous to drive at night with the factory adjustment. the low beams are so low you can't even read street signs or see animals crossing the road in front of you.
i could only see the road about 20 feet in front of me and everything else was pitch dark.
Old 02-16-08, 08:07 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

I will agree that they are a bit low from the factory, and that each beam is angled, but beyond that.....the center of the left is lower than the center of the right on every OEM application that I have ever seen.

I must have a different manual than you because mine only says how to adjust (bolt A & B) and gives no advice as to the orientation. Can you point me in the right direction?
Old 02-16-08, 09:55 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

I will agree that they are a bit low from the factory, and that each beam is angled, but beyond that.....the center of the left is lower than the center of the right on every OEM application that I have ever seen.

I must have a different manual than you because mine only says how to adjust (bolt A & B) and gives no advice as to the orientation. Can you point me in the right direction?
i guess i must have DL'd the instructions from here then and its not in the owners manuel.
do a search for headlight adjustment here and see if you can find the thread somewhere someone posted the procedure right out of the lexus service manuel im guessing.

without the manuel i am pretty sure im right aboutt he measurement but here is how you make the screen.

park the car on level ground.
note the fact heach headlight has a small clear centermark in the center of the lowbeam lens housing. its a small circle about 3mm in diameter.
measure up from the ground the height of this mark by sighting the mark and holding up a tape measure in front of the light. (i used a level to make sure it was accurate)

make a horizontal line across your screen at this reference point measurement from the ground.

next measure between the headlights and note the exact distance

find the center of your screen left to right and make a reference mark.

take the measurement between the lights and divide by 2 giving you exactly 1/2 the distance.
using your center reference mark make a vertical line at the reference point 1/2 the distance you measured from the width between the lights for each side.
you now should have a screen with a horizontal line exactly the same height as the lights and 2 vertical lines on the left and right. thoes lines should intersect exactly center where each headlight would be pointing and there should be a center reference point exactly in the middle of your screen and in the middle of the right and left vertical lines.

now park the car on a leval surface at night place the screen 25 feet in front of the car. standing in the rear of the car and looking through the rear window i was able to sight the rear defroster line running up the center of the rear window and connect that line with the center of the rear view mirror and then sighting thoes reference points with the center mark of my screen seen ahead of the car i was able to move the screen left or right untill it was exactly center.
(i also stuck a long screw driver, (handel side down) into the hood latch with the hood open as an additional center reference point which i could see under the hood with it open)

all you need to do now is align the / portion of the beams over the + markings you made on the screen and make sure the uppermost part of the beam pattern /-------- <<< is 1.25 inches below the horizontal line.

you will note that adjusting the beams up will cause them to also move inwards making the headlights criss cross if you dont adjust them out.

my personal preference is that you be generous with the width of the headlight beam pattern. in otherwords if your unsure if they are pointing perfectly straight ahead don't be afraid to tweak them a little wide.

the AFS seems to be more pronounced when you adjust them this way.

good luck.
i think i posted all of this in the thread you may want to search for so look for threads i have posted in im sure you will find it.
Old 02-16-08, 04:01 PM
almacruel
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Shoganai
When you had the springs intall the mechanic must of unbolted the leveling arm and put it back on backwards. This is usually the cause of the AFS not working when replacing the suspensions in our cars.

Check these threads out that will hopefully help you out w/ your situation.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=220113&page=2

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&highlight=afs
Thanks for the advise I will have to check my car as soon as i get a chance working 2 job and going to school at night is rough lol
Old 02-16-08, 08:32 PM
Lex Law
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
i guess i must have DL'd the instructions from here then and its not in the owners manuel.
do a search for headlight adjustment here and see if you can find the thread somewhere someone posted the procedure right out of the lexus service manuel im guessing.
I found the links:

interesting info about the factory hid adjustment

Headlight sensitivity is uneven...

Headlight_aim.pdf Just go to this one for the detailed .pdf on the exact procedure.
Old 02-27-08, 07:38 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i took a video for you guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIwxz3jaBgE

Quick Reply: How can you check that the headlight turns?