IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

ALL TSIB info on 07 IS 350..MANY OF THEM!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-08, 11:19 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tfz_hebe89
I'm planning to bring my car to dealer and fix them these TSIB:

- dashboard rattle
- moonroof squeak n rattle
- seat belt sometimes squeaks
- excesive brake dust (will complain about this during 20k mile service - got free replacement when it is really needed)

What else do u think I should complain about?
If someone has a TSB for the moonroof, please upload it. I was told mine was just dirty in the tracks.
Old 02-20-08, 11:24 AM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
you cant wait until the pads are dead to do the TSIB, you might get denied. Wasnt intended to be a free set of front brakes
When do we have to change brake pads actually? Is it during 25k mile service?

But what if I only heard the TSIB when my car has 20k miles on it? What can the dealer argue about that?
Old 02-20-08, 12:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,988 Likes on 2,413 Posts

You change your brake pads when they are at or below 1mm in thickness according to the service manual. If you can do that in 20k miles, you need to stop riding the brakes with your left foot. The pads have 11mm of useful life. I wore mine less than 2mm in 20k miles (with the original dusty pads) so I have no sympathy if you are killing your pads in 20k.

If you failed to complain about the dust from the brakes on your wheels, it doesn't matter when you found out about the TSIB, they're not going to change the pads for you.

There's a LOT of BS about TSIBs in this thread, and apparently a HUGE misunderstanding of what they are for. TSIBs address problems Lexus is finding complaints about. Those complaints are common enough and frequent enough to get their attention to authorize a common procedure under warranty to address the complaint. TSIBs are NOT recalls. They address specific complaints. Nothing more, nothing less. They also include things like predelivery inspection procedures, and other issues common across the Lexus line, so the NUMBER of TSIBs you see on a website is NOT indicative of quality issues or even common failures.

Having a dealer do a TSIB for an issue you have not experienced is just plain DUMB. If you are NOT experiencing a problem - if the dash doesn't squeak, if the engine doesn't make noise on start up, if the brake dust doesn't bother you - LEAVE YOUR CAR ALONE!!!
Old 02-20-08, 01:35 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You change your brake pads when they are at or below 1mm in thickness according to the service manual. If you can do that in 20k miles, you need to stop riding the brakes with your left foot. The pads have 11mm of useful life. I wore mine less than 2mm in 20k miles (with the original dusty pads) so I have no sympathy if you are killing your pads in 20k.
Extrapolating your wear figures, it appears that your pads would have lasted more than 110,000 miles. That would be incredibly good pad life for any car, and certainly doesn't jibe with the fact that both the specification page in the brochure and on the Lexus website carry the warning "The pads and rotors are expected to experience greater wear than conventional brakes. Pad life may be less than 20,000 miles, and brake rotor life may be less than 50,000 miles depending on driving conditions." I'm not terribly hard on my brakes, and my original pads were toast (didn't measure them, but they were worn to the point where the slot that's usually between the left and right side of the friction material was completely gone) in 26,000 miles.
Old 02-20-08, 01:51 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,988 Likes on 2,413 Posts

There's about 4mm of pad left when the slot is gone. Still not toast, and 27% of the useful life is being tossed in the trash.

Click here for more brake wear related info. Direct measurement, not speculation. Extrapolate as you please. Using the same driving style, I went through discs and pads on my Supra in 63k miles.