IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

For you younger IS350 owners, does the appeal of having the car wear off?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-08, 05:57 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, so I am not young. I have owned 22 cars in my life and only one has not lost it's appeal to me. I think that goes for almost anything new.

Aloha,
Larry
Old 02-20-08, 06:03 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Ok im help you out....ok... listen ..... "you can live in your car but you cant move your house......my friend pays 2k/month for his car and 2.5/month for his house...so it can be done but whats important to you???? ps i hug my car everyday..
Old 02-20-08, 06:07 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 20 and go to college. I have an RX300 that i bought from my grandparents when i was 17. it has been the most torturous 3 years of my life because all i ever wanted was a fully loaded Mini. I still talk about getting a new car, but then I remind myself. Some very nice person will get me a new car (or help) when I graduate school in 2 years, so I might as well just drive the RX into the ground...

Same goes to you. Save up some money, get yourself a house and let the Honda show you how reliable it was made to be. Yea you want to go fast often (my rx now has an exhaust), but think of how many times you'd rather sleep in a nice house at night rather than street racing... Wouldn't you rather have a toy to play with when you get bored of watching TV or hanging around the house. Or wouldnt you like to have some nice place to speed home to after work?

I for sure would not be rushing home to a rental or some condo...you know? And I'm sure they aren't giving 350's away nowadays, so why overpay? Also, why buy your dream car used? Wait til you have the money to get everything you want, then buy it. My dad has had his 525i since 2002 and wont get rid of it until he has excess money after he puts me through school, my sis through school, and buys himself a mansion somewhere on the beach. Then he'll use the excess to buy himself an Aston that he has wanted for a few years now... There's no rush man, take your time. You (and I) have plenty of time left to get the cars we want, so why rush it so early...
Old 05-08-08, 11:01 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

**56k go away...**

I accidentally wrote a book.

To the OP, I was in your shoes once. I'm a little older than you at 29 and just before I bought my house 5 years ago I went shopping around for a nice gently used 7-series bmw. at the time I was totally in love with the 7 and I had a 1993 infiniti g20 that was worth maybe $3k.

i passed on the car, bought a house and had help from friends who rented out 2 rooms because they couldn't swing their own houses so I essentially paid about $600 a month for the house. i went bonkers with it, threw keg parties every month almost, even had a web site for the parties that showed pics from the last party and the theme for the next party coming up. it was like my own personal club. haha.

a year later, i picked up my 98 gs300 and although I could have picked up a nicer car with more hp, newer, etc... the car was a "middle of the road" practical purchase as the infiniti was costing more to repair almost every other month.

now, i feel like it's time to get a newer car and although i could fit it into the budget, i'm hesitant because of course, the depreciation rates of new cars has always been steep but in this economy it is even more so where you can get a slightly used one for a very good price. time is always on the buyer's side.

hope that gives you some insight on how things can pan out for you. about your original post, let me briefly go over your pros/cons.

1. I should save for a house, that's 40k over 5 years that I could be saving towards

Yep, that's a lot of money man. In today's economy, not a lot of people have 40k in the bank.

2. I'm 23yo, why do I need such a nice car?

Need? probably not. Want? of course but look at the long term.

3. At times, I feel just fine in my 04 Accord LX 4cyl athough it's a bore to drive

This is the perfect example of why you should keep the car. If you want something more exciting, go ahead and get it but keep it within a very conservative budget. there's no point in working extra hard just to drive a nice car.

4. Maintenance is going to be higher and more frequent (tires) compared to the Accord

Believe me man, once you get the new car, tires are going to be your cheapest expense. It will be very easy to be bitten by the mod bug and before you know it, you'll be lowered on some Work Emotion CR Kai wheels with a body kit.

5. It seems in 2009-10, there will be sporty hybrid cars that don't look like toys

If you're thinking about a hybrid car, definitely wait.

Points for getting the IS350.
1. It's fast, has everything that I've wanted in a car

Just imagine how fast you'll be able to save up for your house if you worked both jobs and threw all the dough into the bank.

2. Reliable enough to keep past 5 years, this is what I want to do

So is your Accord man.

3. Because I'll be keeping the car for +5 years, I should start now and pay it off so that I'll be owning the car completely when I start a family, so start now rather than later

Paying off a depreciating asset when you could be saving for an appreciating asset may not be the best idea.

4. My second job will offset the cost of the monthly car payments that would've otherwise swayed me from getting the car. I'll still be able to put away enough for a house monthly.

This right here is a big red flag. Here's another thing you could do and the window of opportunity will be closing more and more as time goes on. If you REALLY want to buy a house, I think now or sometime in the very near future would be the best time due to the economy being in poor shape. Soooo... save up money quickly!

The average house in CA is something like 600k right? I don't know the exact numbers since I'm not a loan officer but I would *guess* that with 40k down, you'd have something like a 3,000-3,400 a month payment. If I'm too low, save more. If that estimate is too high, just think it's better to prepare for the worst and be happy when it's less.

A possible path to home ownership:

1) Save the money that you would be spending on the IS350 for the house.
2) Work the second job to build up your cash faster.
3) When you get closer to your goal, look around at your friends who are living in apartments or with their parents and pick which ones you wouldn't mind seeing each morning. These people are going to be your new roommates.
4) Pull the trigger and buy the biggest house with the most number of bedrooms you can possibly afford. The second job will now be optional since now you can rent out 2 rooms to your friends and let them help you pay your mortgage but if you want the new car, you might find it easier to afford with the second job.
5) With 2 rooms being rented out at 700-800 a month, it'll be easier to pay the mortgage each month and you may have the option to pick up a reasonably nicer car than the trusty Accord that saw you through the whole home buying process.

By then man... you might be able to pick up an IS350 for like $17-18k and only have a payment of $240-250!

ok, enough from grandpa clifford.
Old 05-08-08, 11:55 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Wooo, a lot of nice replies. I'm also in my twenties and like most other people, love new cars. In fact, I made a thread awhile back about getting rid of my IS250 for an 08 Accord Coupe V6 with Navi loaded (tons of power and features that my IS don't have). Good thing I didn't go through with the deal too.

But after reading a lot of the replies here, I have regained my sense of loyalty to my car and will try to have the patience to keep it for as long as possible until I can reinvest my money. The IS250 is here to stay!!!
Old 05-09-08, 12:21 PM
2SwiFt29
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the car didn't come out yet, I was researching about the IS350 and I was 22 at the time when I got the car. I didn't care if it was a sedan. I just loved the interior, the looks, and especially the power. Now I'm 24, and I feel that I miss driving a sports coupe especially driving my bro's 335i coupe from time to time. These past 2 years has been great but I guess for me, even when I'm getting older, I always have the feeling of wanting a new car that just came out no matter if it's a sports coupe or a sedan and as I see more ISx50 out on the street..
Old 05-09-08, 04:15 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

I'm 23. I had my car for a year so far and I haven't gotten tired of it yet. I don't know if I'll ever get tired of any of my cars. I love them all to death. I'm going to start saving up for a house/apt and hopefully get a porsche as my fun car
Old 05-13-08, 05:30 PM
TopGearLA
Rookie

lease the car, don't buy a house in California. problem solved.

lol, think outside the world you live in. I moved to LA from CT after college, with barely a penny to my name only 3 years back, and ive managed to struggle, and then reach comfort. I rent and a house isnt that much of a priority to me, not here anyhow... Couldnt reasonably afford what Id want in West L.A. I just leased my car and its highly affordable considering.

It depends on your personality... as a result of wanting the car i did all this research into my credit/debt/financials etc, and ended up cutting costs and saving more money trying to put things in line. It even motivated me to look for more work. I put myself in situations I want, and then make sure I deserve it. In getting this car, I found work that with my trade (profesional artist) is vastly over paid and requires 8 hours a month of my time, on top of my 9-5. It pretty much covers the car each month. I also am saving money on student loans cuz i cared to look into it and see if i could consolidate for less. I took care of all credit issues. As a result my credit score went from average to way above top tier. Furthermore the selling of my old car will go towards paying off substantial student loands... so more credit + for that...Things I wouldnt have been all too concerned about if the desire for the car wasnt so strong. So it really comes down to...

DO YOU WANT THE CAR ENOUGH TO DESERVE IT?

p.s. depending on what you do and how you do it, sometimes you need the gloss to have others believe in the credibility.
Old 05-13-08, 05:37 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Yes it surely has.

Check out my for sale thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=354541
Old 05-13-08, 09:00 PM
SoDiezl350
Driver

I'm 23 and I just bought my IS350. I went through the same feelings as you did and I decided to go for it. While it was expensive I can tell you that I couldn't be happier. This is exactly the car that I wanted and that is a feeling that any compromise will never bring.

Style, speed, reliability, comfort, and safety are something that IMO cannot be found at these levels in any other car. After owning a Subaru Legacy Spec B for 3 months, I was so mad at my self for compromising that I sold it and bought a IS350 at a decent loss(not too big though, I got a great deal on both cars).

A lot of people said it was a mistake, and at the time I believed them. Now I am sure I did the right thing. That is not to say I do not know how to compromise. I bought a slightly used 07(subie and lexus) and so I did not have to take that huge depreciation hit from buying a new car. I do not eat out often and I don't subscribe to any form of cable or satellite TV. I don't have any student loans and I have a steady job that I have been at for 10 months. The main point I am trying to make is that buying this car did not put me at a great risk for financial hardships.

Unfortunately, I am in love with cars and my standards for cars are so high that I consider it a true pursuit of perfection. My previous car(before subie) was a B5 Audi A4 Turbo. While I loved that car to death, the huge reliability issues that came with modding the car were unbearable. This goes for any german car imo, and despite my love for them, I needed something that could truly be a daily driver.

Finally, the IS is a car that won't make you lust after other cars. Everyday I feel like I have the best car out there. That is not to say I somehow don't appreciate how fortunate I am to be in such a position. I just don't feel like I will want to sell this car the second something else comes out. I had the same feeling with the Audi which I kept for 6 years. I am hoping to keep the Lexus as long as possible. I figure that keeping a 35k car for 10 years is a better investment than a 25k car for 5 years.

If you truly love cars and they are your passion in life, I can tell you that buying anything else will leave you sorely disappointed. Is it the right choice for you? Only you can answer that question. I know that I wasn't sure until I signed the sales contract.
Old 05-14-08, 03:41 PM
stvn
Pole Position

im 21 and just graduated from university. i still love this car. its real luxurious but you can ride it hard on occasions. and girls love the gadgets lol
Old 05-15-08, 12:35 PM
BlynSI
Rookie

Originally Posted by ffpower
Just follow your heart, if you really want it then get it.

You only live once.

I bought my 02 IS300 when I was 21 - because I wanted to.

Im 22 turning 23 in August and I just bought my 08 IS250 in Dec - because I wanted to.

Everyone has offered you sound advice, and I may be a little to free spirited at times, but all I know is that when I walk into my garage and get in my car, it makes me

If I was worried about financial things then I would've bought used. Go for a moderate priced used IS and a moderate home. Dont stretch your wallet and stress yourself out. It is possible to have both.
Old 05-15-08, 01:17 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

If you're losing that feeling, start modding little by little. It helps, at least for me.
Old 05-16-08, 05:37 AM
Jsy622
Driver School Candidate

Im 19 and got my IS350 a couple months ago. I switched from a S2000, and rarely regret the switch. There are times though I feel like I don't belong in an IS350 at my age. The only problem is..what car do you go to next? You have plenty of time for the IS later. Well, I sound hypocritical so I say GET IT!!