IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

For you younger IS350 owners, does the appeal of having the car wear off?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-08, 12:32 AM
tracerit
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For you younger IS350 owners, does the appeal of having the car wear off?

I'm 23yo and have been wanting the IS350 for the last two years. It didn't make sense for me to get it back then because I was still in school and had my debt to pay off. Now that I've been in my career for a year, 3 months away from paying off my debt, and picking up a second side job, I'm seriously thinking about getting one

The points against getting the car far outnumbers for getting it.
1. I should save for a house, that's 40k over 5 years that I could be saving towards
2. I'm 23yo, why do I need such a nice car?
3. At times, I feel just fine in my 04 Accord LX 4cyl athough it's a bore to drive
4. Maintenance is going to be higher and more frequent (tires) compared to the Accord
5. It seems in 2009-10, there will be sporty hybrid cars that don't look like toys

Points for getting the IS350.
1. It's fast, has everything that I've wanted in a car
2. Reliable enough to keep past 5 years, this is what I want to do
3. Because I'll be keeping the car for +5 years, I should start now and pay it off so that I'll be owning the car completely when I start a family, so start now rather than later
4. My second job will offset the cost of the monthly car payments that would've otherwise swayed me from getting the car. I'll still be able to put away enough for a house monthly.

So my question for you younger owners who have yet to start a family or buy a house,etc. but have already got the car, how do you feel about your decision so far?
Old 02-20-08, 12:40 AM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

okay ill help you in this...I am 19 and going to college in my Jr year. About to buy a house this spring....Dont jump into buying a car because the value of it will depreciate and start a new car fund so you can buy your car outright. I bought my is250 with cash therefore no payments and no interest to deal with. I made a new car fund for myself after every car so i can buy another one when the time comes. Take that money and invest it... Thats what i did and it has paid off go yahoo stocks theres my 2cent. Parents only paid 10k for my car the other 30k i paid myself and i pay my own college with scholarships because i know people gonna call me spoiled.
Old 02-20-08, 12:41 AM
DoHwan
Lead Lap

I'm 25, I have a house with a garage. therefore I got the car. i'd get the house first. I mean if you get a nice car you want a garage to put the car in right? so might as well get the garage so that you have a place to put your nice car. Also another thing to think about is that if you're going to live in your house for a long time then a house is a better investment than a car.
Old 02-20-08, 12:42 AM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i think that you already have your priorities straight, with that being said i say that you should wait until you KNOW you are financially capable. no regrets. at your age, you should at least be thinking of settling down, and know that it is a huge step forward. i am not sure if you have a girlfriend or not, but if you get the IS350--your girl may be marrying the car and not you! i think you should wait it out, for now. the car's not going anywhere.
Old 02-20-08, 12:45 AM
DoHwan
Lead Lap

oh yeah debt free is a GREAT thing... before you do the house or the car you should make sure the debt is gone for good. TRUST Me... being in debt like in the 10s of thousands SUCKS.. i did it once and I'll NEVER do it again. and also I think you're too young to think about getting married. shiet I'm 25 and I have no intention of getting married or finding a woman. gotta enjoy single life while I can
Old 02-20-08, 12:58 AM
ISmy350JDM
Pole Position

I am 26 and I too am just getting my self stable in my career. I could have gotten it a year earlier if my parents co-signed and help pay for it, but it wasen't what I wanted. I wanted to own it myself and work for it, and not just be another kid who has help from mommy and daddy. (THOUGH that is not a bad thing) but I wanted to be responsible and build credit. It is great to own a home and I too was debating on getting a home or the Lexus especially with the Real Estate Market and Foreclosures going on here in Las Vegas. Great Time to buy, bad time to sell. Prices are lower in home values. However I opted with getting the car while still at around the prime of my age. I still live with my parents so I am still spoiled in that sense, but responsible financially. I think by you getting the car it will also help build your credit and be even easier to be approved in getting a home. You are still 23 and You are ahead of the game right now.

It is totally up to you, just an opinion to go by, Keep in mind in a couple years the is350 will be getting re-designed too. but it is a reliable car and a great car even stock.

Good luck with your choice! and keep us updated

EDIT: oh and to answer your question, I am currently happy
Old 02-20-08, 03:18 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All you young guys with your dreams of grandure... let me tell you, life loves to throw curve ***** at you every so often But dont let me burst your bubbles you'll see
Old 02-20-08, 07:42 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You all offer great advice for the OP. being financially responsible is very important. You will not only have a higher credit score, your future interest APR rates will be lower because you have demonstrated that you are not a risk for credit agencies. I would much rather have a hosue which build equity than a car that deprciates faster than the candy at a pinata party. Furthermore, that faster you pay off school loans, the cheaper it will be. Make that little extra payment every month if possible.
Old 02-20-08, 07:54 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Yes it wares off. Get a house first.

Housing is slowly falling in the So Cal area and hopefully in about 2 years I will buy my first home. And yes I will sell my IS in a heartbeat to get more money for the down payment on the house I buy.

Having an new expensive car is not all that. You take a big hit once you drive it off the lot, you have to keep it clean, maintain it, be careful of door dings, (will take way more gas then your fuel efficient 4cly accord). Every little scratch I get mad at, so I park far away from others. I have OCD. Sometimes I wonder why I even got a new car?

So I ask myself is this all worth it? Sometimes I don't think so. I would rather save up for a bigger down payment on a home since getting a loan these days is harder to get then it was yesterday.

Last edited by gsrthomas; 02-20-08 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-20-08, 08:42 AM
Giggity
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Having an new expensive car is not all that. You take a big hit once you drive it off the lot, you have to keep it clean, maintain it, be careful of door dings, (will take way more gas then your fuel efficient 4cly accord). Every little scratch I get mad, so I park far away from others. I have OCD. Sometimes I wonder why I even got a new car?
I've been in the car business, and the single greatest thing I learned is, never by a brand new car (there are exceptions). You take a huge loss the second you sign the contract.
I bought my '06 350 w/nav and ML in April '07, it was an early lease return- got it for $32500 (still have family in the business). W/ 17k miles sure there were some scratches and some other blemmishes, but nothing a good detail didn't take care of.
A home is the best investment most people will ever make, cars come and go.
Now is the time to buy a home while the market is in a severe down turn. Though you may have some issues with obtaining financing, if you buy while the market is down, when it starts to go back up, you'll be building equity that you could use to buy the car, or move up to a nicer home- but a home should be your first priority.
Old 02-20-08, 08:59 AM
k_dizzle
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tracerit
I'm 23yo and have been wanting the IS350 for the last two years. It didn't make sense for me to get it back then because I was still in school and had my debt to pay off. Now that I've been in my career for a year, 3 months away from paying off my debt, and picking up a second side job, I'm seriously thinking about getting one

The points against getting the car far outnumbers for getting it.
1. I should save for a house, that's 40k over 5 years that I could be saving towards
2. I'm 23yo, why do I need such a nice car?
3. At times, I feel just fine in my 04 Accord LX 4cyl athough it's a bore to drive
4. Maintenance is going to be higher and more frequent (tires) compared to the Accord
5. It seems in 2009-10, there will be sporty hybrid cars that don't look like toys

Points for getting the IS350.
1. It's fast, has everything that I've wanted in a car
2. Reliable enough to keep past 5 years, this is what I want to do
3. Because I'll be keeping the car for +5 years, I should start now and pay it off so that I'll be owning the car completely when I start a family, so start now rather than later
4. My second job will offset the cost of the monthly car payments that would've otherwise swayed me from getting the car. I'll still be able to put away enough for a house monthly.

So my question for you younger owners who have yet to start a family or buy a house,etc. but have already got the car, how do you feel about your decision so far?
I too was also 23 when i purchased my first brand new lexus. And let me tell you, save yourself some money and buy it used. But before that, save for a house first. For such a nice car you will want a garage to put it in. You mention that you wanted to start a family? Well this car probably wont be the way to go because theres not much space and u dont want baby car seats to skratch ur leather. If you can do it without any delt id do it but if not dont do it. The car isnt going anywhere and theres always newer faster cars coming out each yr.

How do i feel about my decision? My only regret is baby'in it too much. I dont drive it in the winters due to salt, paint chips, pot holes, ice,(ITs really bad in MI this yr) but once the spring gets here
Old 02-20-08, 09:30 AM
aitsb
Rookie

Yeah man. Don't get it unless it is given to you. I know I wouldn't buy it if i were 23, not yet at least.
Old 02-20-08, 09:36 AM
cmdace18
Driver

Just Get It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-20-08, 09:40 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 773 Likes on 541 Posts

Wait until you at least have a down payment for your house. My car is leased because I need it for work and I get a tax break for it (I'm 21 btw). I too am searching for a house right now and if I didn't have my house down payment in the bank, I wouldn't have gotten the car.
Old 02-20-08, 09:41 AM
aitsb
Rookie

Yeah man. Don't get it unless it is given to you. I know I wouldn't buy it if i were 23, not yet at least.

Quick Reply: For you younger IS350 owners, does the appeal of having the car wear off?