IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Can I take it to Toyota?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-08, 01:58 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I take it to Toyota?

I have a 08 IS250. After my first 1,000 mile service/inspection at the Lexus dealer....I was not too happy! The dealership ruined the finish on my beautiful black leather passenger seat. I am guessing one of the idiot techs cleaned it with some harsh cleaning product. Why did my front passenger seat need to be cleaned in the first place? I am the only person riding in my car....I guess something dirty must have went down at the dealership in my front seat when it was being serviced???

Anyway the Lexus dealership agreed to re-finish my seat, which it was only a temporary fix because the dis-colored areas have reappeared. Crap! Also when I went in there, they had no loaner car nor shuttle available for me

Does anyone think it's okay for me to take my car to Toyota from routine stuff..like oil change/filters??? I'll probably let Lexus do the major services 30k, 60k, ect. I have been happy with toyota dealership's in the past, and at least I know I'll save a few $$bucks taking it there. Tell me what you think? Thanks!
Old 02-20-08, 02:43 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to 10 minute oil change place for the oil changes or do yourself. It is easy if you have a lift. I would have the dealer order you a new bottom seat skin. Afterall, it was the dealers fault. They will have to remove the seat. While there at it, have them perform the TSIB for the seat squeak.

Last edited by Brian231; 02-20-08 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-20-08, 02:44 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Little E
Does anyone think it's okay for me to take my car to Toyota from routine stuff..like oil change/filters??? I'll probably let Lexus do the major services 30k, 60k, ect. I have been happy with toyota dealership's in the past, and at least I know I'll save a few $$bucks taking it there. Tell me what you think? Thanks!
I've done it before.

Just make sure you have the oil filter in hand. Sometimes, they may not have it available, and they'll deduct the difference from the final tally.
Old 02-20-08, 03:10 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Little E
I have a 08 IS250. After my first 1,000 mile service/inspection at the Lexus dealer....I was not too happy! The dealership ruined the finish on my beautiful black leather passenger seat. I am guessing one of the idiot techs cleaned it with some harsh cleaning product. Why did my front passenger seat need to be cleaned in the first place? I am the only person riding in my car....I guess something dirty must have went down at the dealership in my front seat when it was being serviced???

Anyway the Lexus dealership agreed to re-finish my seat, which it was only a temporary fix because the dis-colored areas have reappeared. Crap! Also when I went in there, they had no loaner car nor shuttle available for me

Bad bad dealership. I notice u r from california. Which dealer was this??
Old 02-20-08, 03:17 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tfz_hebe89
Bad bad dealership. I notice u r from california. Which dealer was this??
Motor City Lexus - Bakersfield, CA
Motor City has a Lexus car lot, but they also sell other brands of cars...GMC, Pontiac, ect. So I don't even trust their techs know a lot about working on a Lexus since they're servicing American brand cars too at the same place. Obiviously, they didn't know much about cleaning leather.

Last edited by Little E; 02-20-08 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-20-08, 03:30 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I've done it before.

Just make sure you have the oil filter in hand. Sometimes, they may not have it available, and they'll deduct the difference from the final tally.
Yep...I found a place online that sells oil filter kits for the IS at a good price...$4.00 - $5.00. Just didn't know if they (Toyota) would let me bring in my own service supplies???
Old 02-20-08, 03:32 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind that Toyota dealers cannot perform warranty work on your Lexus, if something is found during a routine oil change. It’s also advantageous to have your routine service entered into their database, in case it is needed in the future for, let’s say, a trade-in or a dispute of some kind.
Old 02-20-08, 03:37 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Brian231
Go to 10 minute oil change place for the oil changes or do yourself. It is easy if you have a lift. I would have the dealer order you a new bottom seat skin. Afterall, it was the dealers fault. They will have to remove the seat. While there at it, have them perform the TSIB for the seat squeak.
I use to take my honda to the 10 min oil place, but I then drove away one day with parts coming out of the bottom of my car yikes! I wish I knew how to "DIY" on my IS250....I need a mechanic boyfriend...LOL.
Old 02-20-08, 03:43 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Magellan
Keep in mind that Toyota dealers cannot perform warranty work on your Lexus, if something is found during a routine oil change. It’s also advantageous to have your routine service entered into their database, in case it is needed in the future for, let’s say, a trade-in or a dispute of some kind.
I know, the same thoughts have ran through my head. I love my car and want to take care of it the best that I can. I don't trust my Lexus dealership after they ruined my seat. Yes major warranty work, and the major services will be done at Lexus. If I do take it Toyota for routine stuff, I will keep a record of the type of oil that was used along with any other stuff.
Old 02-20-08, 03:46 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

I take mine to a Lexus dealership in the area and they charge $50. I know the work is good and they have the right parts. You can buy your own oil and take it in, which will make it even cheaper.

Try another dealer. I am sure CA has a bunch of em.
Old 02-20-08, 03:55 PM
d_joulez
Driver School Candidate

Vikdiddy, Which dealership do you go to? i notice you're in IL
Old 02-20-08, 04:16 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought the 1000 mile service was like a 1/2 hour--how could they possibly have done that? No loaners available? For shame.

My dealer drove the loaner out to me, and picked up my car. They'll do it within 100 mile radius. You just need to make sure you schedule it a few weeks in advance, and not on Saturdays.
Old 02-20-08, 05:41 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by d_joulez
Vikdiddy, Which dealership do you go to? i notice you're in IL
Lexus of Highland Park. The $50 is for the oil change only! Not the "service". I am not paying an extra $100 for them to check things that I can check.
Old 02-20-08, 05:49 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

so there IS a tsb for the seat squeek? wonder what they do to fix it? its kinda annoying me now and i thought everyone was being paranoid.. my volumes at 48 with my gangstar music bumpin and i hear my seat squeek lol
Old 02-21-08, 09:03 AM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
I thought the 1000 mile service was like a 1/2 hour--how could they possibly have done that? No loaners available? For shame.

My dealer drove the loaner out to me, and picked up my car. They'll do it within 100 mile radius. You just need to make sure you schedule it a few weeks in advance, and not on Saturdays.
My Lexus dealership is not open on weekends. I thought it would have been like a 1/2 hour wait too, but I was there for an hour and a half...plus longer once I noticed my seat was ruined.

Quick Reply: Can I take it to Toyota?