IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

is 350 paddle shifter

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-08, 10:07 PM
is350power
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is 350 paddle shifter

i have this is 350 for awhile now, and never before used the paddle shifter on my is 350. i have asked a couple of my friend on how to use paddle shifter but they say its like drive a stick shift car, the thing is i do now know how to drive one.

just wondering if anyone on here have use it before? and would give me some tips on using my because i really want to experience what my 3.5L V6 can really do.

i have heard some people telling me that if you do know when to shift or down shift you would damage/break the gear box. none of my friend own a is 350 so yea, they cant help me no further.

thank you for your time
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ima...lies/smile.gif
Old 02-20-08, 10:18 PM
mt1
Rookie

Just put it in shift mode and experiment. The transmission won't allow you to damage it. I find the paddles are more responsive on downshifts.

I have also noticed that there seems to be a little more delay with the paddles than there is when using the 'stick' in shift mode.
Old 02-20-08, 10:47 PM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

its only useful when coming out of a turn or something and need to downshift to accelerate faster... and the transmission in s mode is idiot proof... u can just learn by experience i guess
Old 02-20-08, 11:27 PM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mt1

I have also noticed that there seems to be a little more delay with the paddles than there is when using the 'stick' in shift mode.
I found that if you slightly let up on the gas while upshifting, it shifts faster...
The following users liked this post:
Bcmgunner (10-22-20)
Old 02-21-08, 04:18 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I found it helpful in last week's snow. Otherwise, it doesn't really thrill me. Try it out to see if you like it.
Old 02-21-08, 06:25 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

I was always under the impression that if you downshift an auto tranny (while not in acceleration) to allow it to engine brake, it was not good for it. This does shorten the life of typtronic tranny's so I never really use mine and never really used them in the first gen either. I guess it is a matter of prefferance.
Old 02-21-08, 06:33 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Brian231
I was always under the impression that if you downshift an auto tranny (while not in acceleration) to allow it to engine brake, it was not good for it. This does shorten the life of typtronic tranny's so I never really use mine and never really used them in the first gen either. I guess it is a matter of prefferance.
Turning an engine on is bad for.....doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. Engine braking is a fact of life and a useful tool for standard transmissions if you know how to use it.

It is next to impossible to seriously harm a standard transmission while downshifting without a mis-shift: 6-3 @ high rpm, etc. And as we all know, you can't mis-shift with the 2IS transmission.
Old 02-21-08, 06:40 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaWhole9
I found that if you slightly let up on the gas while upshifting, it shifts faster...
It's trying to maximize acceleration by holding the lower gear. When you let off the gas, it thinks you don't need to accelerate anymore.
Old 02-21-08, 07:41 AM
anwallac
Rookie

the sport mode is nothing close to manual and imo kind of sux for upshifting due to the time delay, but great for downshifting. I prefer just driving around in ECT Power mode, it dowshifts much sooner when you mash the gas and hold the gears longer.

I dont see how engine breaking is bad for the tranny, it is designed to carry significant amount of torque, so I would like to read some proof that this is bad for the tranny. If you dont drive it like you stole it, go buy a GS or ES, and cart yourslef in the right lane.
Old 02-21-08, 07:44 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
Turning an engine on is bad for.....doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. Engine braking is a fact of life and a useful tool for standard transmissions if you know how to use it.

It is next to impossible to seriously harm a standard transmission while downshifting without a mis-shift: 6-3 @ high rpm, etc. And as we all know, you can't mis-shift with the 2IS transmission.
Standard transmission is fine to engine brake, my post was for the paddle shifter only available for the AT models.
Old 02-21-08, 07:58 AM
anwallac
Rookie

yeah does anyone have proof engine breaking is abnormally bad for the AT. I mean, i always am in ECT power ON and when slowing down from over 60 like exiting the highway, the tranny grabs 4th gear and the slows down due to engine breaking.....which is awesome, just like an manual downshift into a turn. I love it. I am skeptical that it is actually that bad, but please someone prove me wrong if you know. I just don't think the lexus engineers would design that functionallity into the shifting patterns if it was bad for the AT. I mean c'mon it's a sports sedan, right? Drive it hard.
Old 02-21-08, 08:04 AM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

It's trying to maximize acceleration by holding the lower gear. When you let off the gas, it thinks you don't need to accelerate anymore.
Maybe you misunderstood what I was trying to say....If you are in manual mode, it cant upshift until you hit the next gear on the paddles, or shifter...so as you do it, lift slightly on the gas, it goes to the next gear faster...kinda like you would do in a manual....I find that makes the car shift faster...crisper upshifts...
The following users liked this post:
Bcmgunner (10-22-20)
Old 02-21-08, 08:31 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Brian231
Standard transmission is fine to engine brake, my post was for the paddle shifter only available for the AT models.
Engine braking is engine braking....the transmission doesn't matter: when you speed up the engine by lowering gears, you are transforming kinetic energy into heat.
Old 02-21-08, 08:34 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaWhole9
Maybe you misunderstood what I was trying to say....If you are in manual mode, it cant upshift until you hit the next gear on the paddles, or shifter...so as you do it, lift slightly on the gas, it goes to the next gear faster...kinda like you would do in a manual....I find that makes the car shift faster...crisper upshifts...
Nope, I understood what you said, I was just explaining why your car's 'brain' does that.

Lower gear = faster acceleration. Your car knows this, so it holds the lower gear longer while accelerating. When you take your foot of the gas, you send a signal to your car that you are done accelerating, so it shifts into the higher gear.
Old 02-21-08, 08:57 AM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Nope, I understood what you said, I was just explaining why your car's 'brain' does that.

Lower gear = faster acceleration. Your car knows this, so it holds the lower gear longer while accelerating. When you take your foot of the gas, you send a signal to your car that you are done accelerating, so it shifts into the higher gear.
But if you are manually shifting, even if you take your foot off the gas, it CANT shift to the next gear....unless what yo are saying is I am "tricking" my car into shifting faster by reducing my throttle simultaneously with shifting up to the next gear, it somehow says of shift NOW....not in a half a second or whatever the lag is....whatever the reason...i like it..lol...

Quick Reply: is 350 paddle shifter