IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Best aftermarket HID kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-08, 07:20 PM
rljs_IS250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best aftermarket HID kit?

Hey guys, my fiance just picked up her new IS250awd yesterday. Loves the car, but we dont have the OEM HIDs. I am looking to upgrade them with an aftermarket kit. Ive done some searches on the board and it seems the xenondepot kit is trusted and most popular. Ive also heard about an mtec kit.

Just want to get some more input on what you guys recommend. And if there is an install guide floating around. Also I am just looking for a nice white light, not too blue, so Im guessing 5000K is the best choice?

Also any suggestions for a fog light bulb to use to match the new xenons?

Thanks!
Old 02-21-08, 08:28 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Philips is good, but very expensive. I have heard of other good ones, but don't have any personal experience.
Old 02-21-08, 08:34 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I put a xenon depot kit in my 03 4Runner, still working today no hitches and same bulbs
Old 02-21-08, 08:36 PM
06-IS250
Pole Position

I got the xenon depot 5000K, love it. looks great, its a PURE white output, not blue at all.

I also suggest picking up a LED parking light from VLEDs for the parking light. search up on that. theres a fresh topic going on right now.

look at my SIG, thats the 5000K. (the parkinglight is OEM though, picture is outdated.)
Old 02-21-08, 08:58 PM
flipicanez
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

None of them, unless the reflectors or projectors are aimed and designed for that kind of light, you're better off with blue ricer halogen bulbs.
Old 02-21-08, 10:04 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flipicanez
None of them, unless the reflectors or projectors are aimed and designed for that kind of light, you're better off with blue ricer halogen bulbs.
Old 02-22-08, 04:37 AM
rljs_IS250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flipicanez
the headlight housing and projectors are exactly the same in this car for the stock halogen and stock xenon setup. its really just changing the bulb, and not having the adaptive headlight feature which helps illuminate better when turning.....a nice feature but not neccessary

thanks for the input thus far guys, i am leaning towards the 5000K XD kit
Old 02-22-08, 08:03 AM
Mystery_is
Driver

I am a believer in certain brands when it comes to HID

I love Belloff, and Philips/Osram
Old 02-22-08, 08:06 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

mobilehid is having a special on hid kits right now. check out the link: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=337486
Old 02-22-08, 08:18 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
mobilehid is having a special on hid kits right now. check out the link: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=337486
Nice price and a 3 year warranty!
Old 02-22-08, 10:08 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Im Biased =)

We have been selling HID lighting kits since 2001 and have been a supporting vendor on this website for several years. You will find that we have many satisfied customers on this board that have installed our kits on their IS. Our products come with a legitimate one year warranty and should you require any after sales service or support we will be there to support you. If you have any questions/concerns, please send me a PM and I would be more than happy to help out or answer any questions.

Steve
Old 02-22-08, 10:38 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

rljs - Congrats on the new ride!

First off man, if I were you, I'd go get a clear bra immediately. Here's a poll of new IS owners and what kind of damage their new IS suffered. Over half complained about rock chips.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=285480

If you already bought a clear bra from the dealer - great. If you haven't, here's the direct link to a list of clear bra installers in new jersey for you. Most dealers just outsource the job and mark up the price even though you're getting the same service from the same clear bra shop so you should be able to get a better price than what the dealer quoted you.

Here's a direct link: http://www.clearbrafilms.com/newjersey

I suggest calling around to get the best quote.

As far as HID lighting is concerned, I too am a little biased. I won't point you in one direction or another but I will give you some insight on the installation.

1) For the fogs, if you want them to match perfectly, it's best to go with two kits. The new IS takes an H11 bulb for the low beam and a 9006 bulb for the fogs.

2) For the fog light kit, you may need to extend the ballast power wires so the ballasts will reach the lower corners of the front bumper.

3) 99% of the H11 kits on the market require some modification to the wire harness to install the kit properly so be prepared to do some trimming of the plug when you get your kit. The only h11 kit I know for certain that does not require this modification is the mobilehid kit.

4) Get a kit that allows the ballast to have a direct connection from the battery to the ballasts. This ensures you don't fry your harness.

Here's the wire harness I speak of:

5) Grounding the wire harness to the battery is the best since you won't have to sand any factory paint to get a good ground. Try to do that if possible.

6) For some reason I remember dust caps on the back of the 2IS headlight housings... I could be wrong but if I'm correct - you may have to drill a 1" hole in the back of the housing to run wires through the dust cap. Let me know if that is the case and I can send you some 1" rubber grommets.

Good luck!

-Clifford

BTW - I am somewhat affiliated with mobilehid.com. somewhat.
Old 02-22-08, 10:42 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cliffud

3) 99% of the H11 kits on the market require some modification to the wire harness to install the kit properly so be prepared to do some trimming of the plug when you get your kit. The only h11 kit I know for certain that does not require this modification is the mobilehid kit.

-Clifford

BTW - I am somewhat affiliated with mobilehid.com. somewhat.
The Xenon Depot Extreme kit is in the 1%.
No modification to the wire harness to install the kit properly.
Simple plug and play.
Old 02-22-08, 11:33 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

awesome man. things must have changed since I sat in on an install in socal last year of an XD Extreme kit.
Old 02-22-08, 11:39 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Hello,

Another thing that makes our wiring harness unique is that each side comes with its own wiring harnes that has its own fuse and relay. Should a relay or fuse go out on you it will have no effect on the other light. If your wiring harness only has 1 fuse/relay both lights will go out if one ever goes out.

Steve

Quick Reply: Best aftermarket HID kit?