IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Factory 225/45/17 Dunlop 5000's

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-08, 07:16 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Factory 225/45/17 Dunlop 5000's

I have read on many user responses via TireRack or Discount Tire that many people have had sidewall blowouts with these factory tires typically found on the IS250 AWD. I found myself a victim of this last night. I was wondering what everyone's opinion of Dunlop in general or the particualr 5000 series. I welcome all opinions. I personally think these tires are overpriced junk. I was never a fan of Dunlop, and when I bought my gen 1, I got rid of the OEM Dunlops with 160 treadware within three days. I went through two sets of the Continental Extreme Contacts and loved the (had the car 4 years of hard rush hour driving). I think I may replace all four Dunlops with them. Has any other IS owner on CL swapped out there tires for the Extreme Contacts? What's you opinion on the gen 2?
Old 02-22-08, 09:04 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

No blowout but had a one bad Dunlop sidewall issue at 20K miles.
I went with Potenze RE960 AS and liked them.Great customer and good TR reviews.
Upgraded to 18" wheels and tried to buy the same tires from Tire Rack and was told they won't work with the 18" on the IS 250.Something with sidewall load issues.The 17s are fine.
Old 02-22-08, 10:45 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dunno about the Dunlops, but if u want to get good replacements for cheap, I know someone (ahemm...Joe) is selling a good set for cheap in the wheels classified section.
Old 02-22-08, 11:50 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

I just replaced all 4 Dunlops on my lunch time at Discount Tire with my favorite Continental Extreme Contacts with the Sharfin technology. I went through two sets of these on my gen 1 and loved them. Other CL members love these on their RWD IS250's. The Dunlop SP 5000 was $180 new not including install. I said the heck with it and sold the three good ones for $40 a piece to be done with it and reduce the new cost. The car handles smoother and better. I can't wait for snow, these tires are said to be much much better than the Dunlops and I know first hand how the extreme's handle in the Chicago snow, they are the best thing since electric tooth brushes. One thing I want to point out to all CL member is not to put chrome caps on the TPMS. They corrode on and can brake the shaft. Even after my recent rim instal, I had to be careful removing the Nitrogen chrome caps without cracking the stem, Discount Tire would not touch the,. They said they see this happen all the time. I had them put plastic caps on after i removed the chrome myself with a small socket. I could not beleive the corrosion after a month and a half of being on. Heck, those valve caps had a rubber grommet o-ring for sealing as well.
Old 02-22-08, 12:11 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian231
I just replaced all 4 Dunlops on my lunch time at Discount Tire with my favorite Continental Extreme Contacts with the Sharfin technology. I went through two sets of these on my gen 1 and loved them. Other CL members love these on their RWD IS250's. The Dunlop SP 5000 was $180 new not including install. I said the heck with it and sold the three good ones for $40 a piece to be done with it and reduce the new cost. The car handles smoother and better. I can't wait for snow, these tires are said to be much much better than the Dunlops and I know first hand how the extreme's handle in the Chicago snow, they are the best thing since electric tooth brushes. One thing I want to point out to all CL member is not to put chrome caps on the TPMS. They corrode on and can brake the shaft. Even after my recent rim instal, I had to be careful removing the Nitrogen chrome caps without cracking the stem, Discount Tire would not touch the,. They said they see this happen all the time. I had them put plastic caps on after i removed the chrome myself with a small socket. I could not beleive the corrosion after a month and a half of being on. Heck, those valve caps had a rubber grommet o-ring for sealing as well.
Were you happy with Discount Tire in general? It's gonna be a while before I need new tires, but I thought about using Discount Tire when the time comes. My 08 came with Bridgestones/Firestones....I've heard some bad stuff about Firestone tires in general, so I hope mine last w/o any problems. I probably won't go with the Bridgestones when it's time for them to be replaced.
Old 02-22-08, 12:28 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Little E
Were you happy with Discount Tire in general? It's gonna be a while before I need new tires, but I thought about using Discount Tire when the time comes. My 08 came with Bridgestones/Firestones....I've heard some bad stuff about Firestone tires in general, so I hope mine last w/o any problems. I probably won't go with the Bridgestones when it's time for them to be replaced.
You bet, I have bought so many tires and rims from Discount Tire in the past 10 years and they have the best prices and service. They will beat anyones prices. I was lucky they had my size in stock. They typically can get things in three days so they are quick as well. Give it a shot, and you won't be dissapointed.
Old 02-22-08, 02:37 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sorry to hear of this, discount tire has been great for me as well in IL on many cars. great service, prices, and they have shops almost all over now.

So was this your winter tire that blew reading your sig i see you have winter rims. How do you like the nitrogen? never had it before...
Old 02-23-08, 03:38 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by passnu2
sorry to hear of this, discount tire has been great for me as well in IL on many cars. great service, prices, and they have shops almost all over now.

So was this your winter tire that blew reading your sig i see you have winter rims. How do you like the nitrogen? never had it before...
I will run the Momo Winters year round. I had the OEM Dunlops swapped and one of those was the one that blew. Nitrogen was a courtesy provided by my dealer for there shoddy tech not doing his job. I don't have it in my tires currently do to the swap, and I don't feel like going back to the dealer for more. Not many places offer it, so it is not worth it. The tire certificates are a must with any low profile tire purchase. Now I feel better that I have this insurance. Chicago is pothole city lately.