IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

TPMS sensors, ...yet another queston

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-08, 06:28 PM
glilly
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS sensors, ...yet another queston

Any vendors sell the TPMS sensors for cheaper than $87 each!!??

I really don't want to unmount (to remove sensors) and remount (when i sell my wheels), just so i can save them. It seems everytime Discount touches a wheel, they scratch it. I'd be willing to toss out $150ish, about the same price as a dismount/mount.

Any thoughts, ...suggestions?

BTW, the sensors will not fit in the new wheels, but I still need them for the "TMPS pipe". trick.

Greg
Old 02-24-08, 06:29 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

i had the same situation, i could only find sensors at 100$ a pop, and a set of 4 for a huge discount price of $375
Old 02-24-08, 06:40 PM
glilly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Scythe
i had the same situation, i could only find sensors at 100$ a pop, and a set of 4 for a huge discount price of $375
sheesh, that's ridiculous. I think I paid an extra $35-45 each for the new sensors for my wife's old Pilot from Tire Rack.

May have succumb to yet another Lexus gouging (sp?). (the other was the brake job at 17k miles)
Old 02-24-08, 06:55 PM
inwood
Lead Lap

I actually bought a spare set off of ebay for 100 bucks shipped. I havent activated them b/c I dont have wheels yet, but they are brand new and come w/ the valve stems and caps. The seller I bought from had several sets available.
Old 02-24-08, 07:51 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Greg, if you were to stop by DFW, I'm sure I could have the sensors carefully removed from your Progressive ME's w/o a single gash or scratch and hand them to you. Heck I'll even install tire valves and balance the ME's for you so the next owner would have it ready to mount and roll. I think it would only run like about $100 to do them.
Old 02-24-08, 09:35 PM
nioks
Rookie

Originally Posted by glilly
Any vendors sell the TPMS sensors for cheaper than $87 each!!??

I really don't want to unmount (to remove sensors) and remount (when i sell my wheels), just so i can save them. It seems everytime Discount touches a wheel, they scratch it. I'd be willing to toss out $150ish, about the same price as a dismount/mount.

Any thoughts, ...suggestions?

BTW, the sensors will not fit in the new wheels, but I still need them for the "TMPS pipe". trick.

Greg

What is TMPS Pipe Trick?
I want to buy new wheel but don't know what to do with TMPS if it is incompatible.......anyone?
Old 02-24-08, 11:38 PM
likwid8
Pole Position

Check ebay, I got a set for 106 also and they work fine.
Old 02-25-08, 12:31 AM
Annalyz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nioks
What is TMPS Pipe Trick?
yeah, i would like to know too!
Old 02-25-08, 06:54 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If any CL Member lives in a snow reagion with heavey salting, make sure not to use chrome valve caps. The TPMS corrodes very easily and will brake the stem of the sensor. I have seen this happen a bunch of times. Use the plastic caps. I had new rims installed and my chrome caps put on snug. After a little over a month, there was massive corrosion and I almost could not remove the caps. I had to clean the threads and put antisieze on along with plastic caps. I was worried I would have to buy 4 new TPMS. I cannot believe the corrosion was that bad in less than two months.
Old 02-25-08, 12:35 PM
glilly
Pole Position

so i'll start looking on Ebay. (crosses fingers)

as for the TPMS pipe:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=tpms+pipe

or

or

Greg
Old 02-25-08, 12:39 PM
inwood
Lead Lap

the sellers name is antennabay or something like that.
Old 02-25-08, 12:42 PM
glilly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by inwood
the sellers name is antennabay or something like that.

this guy?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...spagenameZWD1V
Old 02-25-08, 01:01 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Just make sure that you get the right sensors for your build date. Some 06's use one sensor, while the newer 06's use another.

Plus, since the guy in the ebay link didn't post the actual part number, you need to match up the FCC codes.

BTW, since they need to be programmed for your car, call up your local Toyota dealership and find out how much they charge. My local toyota dealership was much less than the lexus dealership.
Old 02-25-08, 01:04 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Question More TMPS questions... ???

Originally Posted by carchitect
Greg, if you were to stop by DFW, I'm sure I could have the sensors carefully removed from your Progressive ME's w/o a single gash or scratch and hand them to you. Heck I'll even install tire valves and balance the ME's for you so the next owner would have it ready to mount and roll. I think it would only run like about $100 to do them.

Joe - Quick side tech question..

If I were to buy a set of IS-F wheels "as is" with original TPMS sensors in them already....

1) Do I need to open the wheels to get the the codes off of each sensor... or if we know the car it came off, are the codes stored in the cars system??

2) Do I need to bring the car to Lexus to have the TMPS sensors from the IS-F set up, programmed into my car..?

This is all hypothetically speaking...

I know I can just take my sensors out and put them into the IS-F wheels, but like the OP said.. I would really hate to due that with a set of IS-F wheels and then my 08' Liquid Graphite wheels.. just to extract the sensors or codes..

Thanks in Advance

Joe Z
Old 02-25-08, 01:09 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

From seeing my toyota tech playing away with the laptop when programming mine, I believe that the codes for the car are actually shown in the car's computer. In fact, I'm almost positive, as he knew my old codes without dismounting my old rims/tires.

But, in order to extract that info, you would have to tap into the OBD to get into the computer.

But, next answer: no, lexus does not have to do it. My local toyota dealership did mine. Not only were they cheaper, but they were also a lot closer and had much better hours

Last edited by mikes rx; 02-25-08 at 01:14 PM.

Quick Reply: TPMS sensors, ...yet another queston