IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

nav calibration issues...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-09, 01:10 PM
intellis
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS is crappy!

It's a big deal to me. My navagation just jumps off the path of travel for no apparent reason, mine is also off by several meters. I'm taking it back to Lexus so someone can take a look at it. This navagation system is not up to par. You buy a cheap $100 cell phone and the gps works without a clitch, but you pay thousands of dollars for a car and the gps is inadequate. I mean the gps in my navagation doesn't even pick up the location from where I'am and send me directions to where I want to go. You have to manually input your current location and then tell the gps where you want to go. What happens if I get lost and I don't have a current location? Lexus should of have implemented a more sufficent gps system.
Old 10-29-09, 11:38 PM
Vanilla55
Driver School Candidate

Angry

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Maybe not classified GPS, but it should be good to three meters. 50 feet is more than I'd be happy about.

I have not experienced this issue. How many birds are you seeing with your GPS?
LOBUX, how often do you use your nav?

My nav has been KILLING me ever since I got the car. It is ALWAYS off by 150 or 300 feet. I have never, ever lost the "GPS" icon. I took it to the dealer and they said I had all 7 satellites and gave me my car back. At the dealership exit, I stopped for traffic. My nav showed me 150 feet PAST the roadway, in the middle of a field. I turned onto the HIGHWAY (four lanes, not easy for a GPS map to miss) and my nav arrow showed me driving parallel to the highway. Then I hit an intersection and my nav STILL showed me parallel. By the time the light turned green, my nav had corrected my position to being on the roadway.

Once I was in the middle of a downtown intersection (Seattle), and my nav said "next right." I looked at the street sign and I actually had to turn right IMMEDIATELY because I was IN the intersection that I was supposed to turn right at.

It is nuts. Sometimes my nav shows me 150 feet ahead, sometimes it is giving me directions 100 feet too late.

I wrote Corporate an e-mail saying I'm not taking it back until you tell me that you know the solution. I don't have an extra hour in my workday to drop my car off and pick it up. They just said "we've contacted the dealership and they're expecting you." I take it back, and I get the same routine again. This time, the Consultant says "navigation specs say the system is accurate to only 300 feet. It's a military/civilian thing." This is October 2009 and he's saying this. I tell him that applied 15 years ago. Not today. Then he says, "Well, true, GPS accuracy isn't restricted any more, but Lexus specs are to be accurate to only within 300 feet. Our shop foreman and I both have this same problem."

In my experience, the nav will get you in the right area. Then you have to turn right, look around, pull a u-turn, then go down the other street, look around, and eventually you find your destination.

I miss freeway exits because of the damn thing (when traveling in a different state -- and even in MY OWN state because we have two exits off of one offramp, and the directions are slow to tell me to go left or go right).

Like I said, the nav is KILLING me. No way it is within 9 feet or 50 feet. I had already searched the forum before, and no one really complained about the nav not giving good directions.

The "pursuit of perfection" thing is BS as far as the nav goes. I'm going to write to Corporate again to check/verify the "within 300 feet" claim.

If my nav really is acting as Lexus has designed it (I have v7.1 by the way, and I know there is now 9.1 out there), I would say that there is no way in hell the navigation system is worth the money. If you don't care about money and want the looks, fine. But someone else on here already stated before, side-by-side, a handheld Garmin or something gives more accurate GPS readings than the Lexus navigation system. For use about once or twice a month, I would definitely go with handheld (for any future buyers.... free updates instead of $250, and you will not go CRAZY with bad, bad directions).

P.S. Of course I've tried the calibration multiple times. But like I said, I have NEVER lost the GPS signal, so the calibration gets overridden within 30 seconds.
Old 10-30-09, 01:28 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,972 Likes on 2,403 Posts

I use my nav all the time. Never had this kind of discrepancy with mine in Georgia or California except one time when I got the car washed and it couldn't figure it out for five blocks or so. FWIW, I used a Garmin in downtown Atlanta and it couldn't find where I was in 3 minutes. I was very unimpressed with it here. I've used Garmin and Everlost (Magellan) in rentals and not had those kinds of issues.

My car's nav works fine. Sounds like you've got a real issue and you're getting the run around.
Old 10-30-09, 06:33 PM
CAS
Driver School Candidate

I have had navigation on an 06 TL, 07 Corvette, 08 Goldwing, and 4 Lexus' (Two 08s and two 10s). I have never had that much error in driving directions and when to turn.

The newer ones even have a window that pops up to show the precise turn by using a blue status bar.