IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Which IS would you recommend for Northern NJ (snowy winters)?
Lexus IS250 AWD
49.12%
Lexus IS350 RWD
50.88%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Need some advice...potential buyer of 250AWD or 350

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-08, 04:57 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This one's easy to answer...

IS350 FTW!

Then again, I have the luxury of living in Southern California so AWD is not needed at all for me.
Old 03-07-08, 10:05 AM
goodfellaz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Sexi Lexi, how's the handling in heavy rain? Or do you have the luxury of living in San Diego where it doesnt rain all that much either haha
Old 03-07-08, 10:29 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

heavy rain? in southern california? :lol:

well, when it does rain, the is350 doesn't mutate into a slip-and-slide monster. as a matter of fact, quite the opposite. while its dry-weather capabilities exceed most vehilces, its wet-weather persona isn't all that much for the worse. just be light on the throttle and avoid sharp steering angles.

that, and all-season high-performance radials help.
Old 03-12-08, 04:27 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Brian231
The reason I bought my AWD was because the winters in Chicago. it proved to pay off this year as we were hit bad all winter with snow. Also, for the rain. I really like the security of AWD. If I lived in the south, 350 all the way.
Brian and I are in total agreement again. With 88" of snow this year (and counting), the AWD has been a true blessing. I average 28-29 mpg on the freeway so the mileage is outstanding. I did drive a 350, but after having Mustangs and BMWs previously it's not all about the speed/acceleration anymore. There's still plenty of "go" when you want some....

My $.02.... can't go wrong with either really... good luck!!!
Old 03-12-08, 05:11 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I have what you want. Don't settle for less! The only way to get it is to special order it. It will take 3/4 months. In the mean time find out when/where there will be the next "Taste of Lexus" so you can get a $750 gift cert, that can be used towards the purchase. I ordered mine from Prestege Lexus (Bill Barton) for less then $1000 over invoice. With the way sales are going you should do better.

Koz
Old 03-13-08, 09:08 AM
goodfellaz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Koz
In the mean time find out when/where there will be the next "Taste of Lexus" so you can get a $750 gift cert, that can be used towards the purchase
I was only able to find some info about the event that was at Great Adventure last September, know of anything scheduled for '08?
Old 03-13-08, 09:40 AM
ctzp
Driver School Candidate

I live in Boston, and we get snow here too.

But wondering how many people actually drive IN THE SNOW?

Because even after it snows a lot, the city/town plows come and the snow is gone before anyone wakes up.
Old 03-13-08, 10:26 AM
goodfellaz
Driver School Candidate

Here in North Jersey there's not many days where you'd be driving through snow, but seeing how I have to so up an S-Curve hill to get to my office and other various hills, it was a concern I had. Thinkin just grabbin some 17's with snow tires for the winter.
Old 03-13-08, 10:32 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

IMO the 350 will be fine if you get winter tires and rims. I am in IL and had no issues getting thru this winter. I like that i can have my fun and still have a safe car in the snow. If you are worried about snow that much then the RX would be a better choice IMO. I have had AWD, FWD, RWD cars. My first choice is RWD then AWD...forget FWD!!
Old 03-13-08, 10:36 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by goodfellaz
Here in North Jersey there's not many days where you'd be driving through snow, but seeing how I have to so up an S-Curve hill to get to my office and other various hills, it was a concern I had. Thinkin just grabbin some 17's with snow tires for the winter.
lol...i went my first winter on the summer 18" OEM rims and tires. Only reason i got the winter rims and tires was my driveway was tuff to get up and i had a slight ramp to park in the garage at my previous employer. other then this i got my car in November and went thru with no troubles and did my fair share of driving. the biggest difference i noticed was stopping and i could get up my driveway a little easier You will be fine!
Old 03-13-08, 11:04 AM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Sexi Lexi, how's the handling in heavy rain? Or do you have the luxury of living in San Diego where it doesnt rain all that much either haha
LOL I don't live in San Diego but I do have the luxury of living in Orange County so yup, no heavy rain here. I wish I was in a better position to tell you which car is better for you but fortunately, I've never had to experience any extreme weather. And from what I can see so far in your thread, it seems like it's about 50/50 from those that live in the cold like you do. Some are saying you're ok with snow tires, etc and some are telling you to go for the AWD. Ultimately, the decision is up to you. G'luck!
Old 04-22-08, 10:40 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey everyone, I'm new to these boards and also to knowledge of Lexus cars. I've been looking into buying a new car over the last few months, and I was originally considering the new Accord Coupe or the Acura TL. Then I checked the Lexus site and fell in love with the IS. Now I'm stuck between the 250AWD and the 350. Being that I live in Northern NJ in a rather high elevation, I wanted some advice on whether to stick with the AWD or go for the extra HP of the 350. I've been driving a 2000 Sebring Coupe for the last 8 years, so I haven't had much experience driving a RWD. Was wondering how drastic the handling difference is between the 250AWD and 350 in wet and snowy/icy conditions. Also, if I were to get the 250AWD, I'd load it with basically every option whereas if I got the 350, I'd probably do without the Birds Eye trim and telescoping memory steering column, etc. I think I am definitely going with the ML Nav in either case as the prospect of 300-Watts and DVD video is pretty nice. So for all you lucky IS owners out there, your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...

You didn't consider a G35x?
Old 04-22-08, 10:48 AM
goodfellaz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tex2670
You didn't consider a G35x?
I did take a trip down to the Infiniti of Ramsey dealer over the weekend, however I think the looks of the IS350 are far and above those of the G35 sedan. Now the G37 Sport is a different story, but for some reason the dealer I visited only does test-drives on an appointment basis on Saturdays. When I checked in at the front desk I stated that I was interested in test driving the G37 and was told a sales associate would be with me shortly. Well, 45 mins later I finally get someone to help me, who promptly tells me test drives aren't possible and he'd like to schedule me for a drive. This was a major turn-off and I doubt I'm ever going to go back to the dealership. Since I had basically wasted the trip, I decided to hop over to Prestige Lexus to drive the 250AWD again. I was out the door and on the test drive within 5 mins, so it seems like the overall ownership experience would be better with a Lexus.
Old 04-22-08, 12:11 PM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

Be careful Prestige is a very big dealership and for them everything is about numbers not quality of service.
Old 04-22-08, 12:40 PM
APBT4Me
Pole Position

obviously 4wd is better for snowy weather. the real question is do you want a slug of a car? if so go with the 250 if not then go for the 350