IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 350 vs. Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-08, 04:48 PM
k_dizzle
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes rx
First of all, driving a car is completely different than being the passenger. Next, engine wise mine's a mostly stock mustang, just Corsa exhaust and K&N filter. And yes, it peels your face back.

Also, there's a good difference in the 05 and up mustangs (shown below) vs. the 99-04 gens, and a HUGE difference b/w those and the 96-98 GT's, which were pretty much pigs.

Yes, the IS is an awesome car, but mustangs are a lifestyle thing. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE the IS, but I also LOVE the mustang. I's just a different type of drive.....

BTW, I guess I might as well post a pic of it, so y'all don't think that I'm BS-ing. , and for reference with regard to what model GT we're all talkin about
Read my post agian buddy. i said i have DRIVEN it also. And No im not talking about any old models..my buddy has an 06 GT.

I understand that you love the mustang also which i will respect your opinion. but after seeing you post the picture of the droptop mustang. All i have to say is YUCK

Agian. To each own.
Old 02-29-08, 05:10 PM
solspeed
Driver

Originally Posted by mikes rx
I'm just trying to state facts. Everyone here is taking Cayman's and Gernby's and other's absolutely BEST time ever in a 350 and trying to match it up to a stock GT driven by Joe Smith on the street. People on the board do it all the time when comparing the 350 to a BMW 335. Has Cayman and some others beaten 335's before. YES, therefore it is possible. But, is it typical. I don't think so.

I find it extremely hard to believe that the mustang is "smoked", beaten "hands down", beaten "easily", beaten "every time", etc. Given the numbers, and my personal experience, I just can't believe it. Especially when some of y'all posting have 20" wheels on your car. But, if that's the case, so be it. That's called street racing.

(Also, if we get on the discussion of tires: the mustang has all season Pirelli P-Zero's. But, I'm not going to start making every excuse for why the mustang could lose, because it's not about that.)
I get what your trying to say, Mustang Gt are'nt slow if they are highly modded. They can run mid 12 with just N/a bolt on, maybe with some laughing gas. But fact for fact, they are both different car, and daily different driver. But if both car are evenly modd, i have to say it all about traction, which i think the IS- has the upper hand, IS driver doesnt need skill to launch that thing. The GT i race with was modd(I/E) and maybe more, and no he did'nt have 20' on his , neither did i lol . But for me to take off on them about 3 car lenght from the start, and he launches good too, is poorly because of traction, because i could hear him peeling off badly. But if we were to race a GT from a 40+ roll, no doubt the GT will cook us about 2 car lenght, i've race with one on a highway, an older version GT, deffinately were highly modd, and i was bonestock 30% thread tires left lol. This is from my past experience.
Old 02-29-08, 06:41 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

i raced my buddy from 40-110.. was about 2 cars ahead of him by the end
Old 02-29-08, 07:59 PM
brodie
Driver School Candidate

I raced a friends 08 mustang GT automatic with my 08 IS350 and here are the results. From a dig with both of our traction controls switched off it wasn't even close. I instantly pulled three cars on him and kept stretching. His stock Pirellis gave up the ghost big time. He had a big loss of traction. My IS350 spun the wheels also but still pulled away. Then we ran from a 40mph roll three times all with the same result. These were close runs. We would stay door to door to about 65 and the IS350 would slowly pull away.
At the track with a automatic GT I think this would be a closer race but the IS350 would win every time. Before I get blasted I know a 5sd GT is 2 to 3 tenths faster at the track, so I think this is a pretty even race. that being said the GT driver has to have a perfect run and all the IS350 driver has to do is point and shoot.
Old 02-29-08, 08:10 PM
BlackGhost
Lexus Test Driver

Stock to Stock, the IS350 will win 100%