IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

to fight?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-08, 02:31 AM
weesped
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to fight?

Well heres my story guys. i got caught doing 90 a couple weeks back around midnight on my way home. i know that whole speeding bunch, n i really shouldnt have gone that fast. so i've done 2 or 3 weeks now with out breaking 60, cruse control ftw.
but my question to you guys, is if i should try to fight this ticket. the cop clocked me doing 90 @906ft w/ a laser. so i was reading:
http://www.motorists.org/blog/traffi...ut-laser-guns/
and seeing how i dont have a front license plate, i did pass that 900 feet they spoke about (ya i know i dont have that "low hood" or w/e) and seeing how he was so far, there were a couple of cars on the road also, so keep that in mind.
i know i shouldnt have sped and all that, the reason i really want to fight this ticket, is this cop was really a ***. i know their suppose to aim for your front license plate, but this guy didnt even know i didnt have one until after he pulled me over. he also tried to give me every ticket humanly possible. also, its not that i wont pay the speeding ticket, because ya i really was speeding. its just in hawaii, if u break 80 it becomes a big deal. and you automatically get a SR-22 that jacks up your insurance like no other. so i'd rather not get that.
i just wanted too see your guys input, imma call my lawyer to see what he thinks, but he always tells me "its up to me if i want to fight it or not"
Old 02-28-08, 02:41 AM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What was the speed limit? It's hard to beat the laser. My uncle got a ticket like that driving up to Berkeley, and he tried fighting it by writing to the court, and without hearing his side of the story just sent him a notice saying that his license was suspended for a month.

I definitely can attest to cops being asses. One cop I have encountered seemed to target nice higher end cars. He pulled over 3 people in relatively nice cars(2 BMW and another Lexus), and then flagged me over on a downhill street coming right off the freeway. 65 in a 45, license was suspended for a month. It was a little after noon time, and so there wasn't much traffic, probably two other cars on a 1/2 mile stretch, and then next car(Honda) that passes by must have been going 60-70 and he just lets it pass.
Old 02-28-08, 02:45 AM
weesped
Lexus Champion

oh ya, sorry it was 50. in hawaii thats about as high as it gets. maybe 55 on the H-3, idk. llama will come answer that problem later hopefully. but ya, lasers are a pain, i just dont want that damn SR-22. i can handle the ticket, the suspended license and all that. but i hear story's of guys insurance hitting 7-10k a year just because a SR-22. so thats pretty wth.
from what my lawyer tells me, the cop that pulled me over is just a hard *** and like giving out tickets for every thing. it seems like i see him pulling someone every every other day in the same spot. really P/O's me. this guy had no idea i had no license plate, and even tried to give me a ticket for my legal tint.
Old 02-28-08, 02:51 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

40mph over... you are so screwed... 15over is my max now with our new laws
Old 02-28-08, 02:53 AM
weesped
Lexus Champion

thanks judd -.-. man what if i had a IS350. lol. these laws are so retarded. but ya, i still leaning toward just taking it all, and hopefully they'll drop some of the other charges and keep the fines to a min. seeing how i have that SR-22. but idk, if there was a hope to getting it all dropped, that would be great.
Old 02-28-08, 03:11 AM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by weesped
thanks judd -.-. man what if i had a IS350. lol.
Dude, i'm glad i have a 250. My heavy foot would get me even more tickets.
Old 02-28-08, 03:26 AM
trinityhk
Lead Lap

dont fight it, its that easy trust me
Old 02-28-08, 03:53 AM
MIA IS250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont know the laws in HI but lets just say i deal with the ossifers on a regular here in florida ......anyways, you can fight the ticket and hopefully luck will be on your side.

you have the right to find out if the radar gun was calabrated within a set time frame(dont know how long in HI) if its not been in that time frame your case can be thrown out because there is no way to know it is accurate.

you can also decide to go to court, on the first date set, that is a pretrial where they normally offer you a lesser fine and no points on your license which saves you on insurance hike.

you can always try the game of setting a hearing date then cancelling, then setting another one, then cancel and then hope on the last one the officer doesnt show.( must have valid reason work, sick note from doctor, out of state travel, etc.)

other than these there is weather, if you were on the street alone or other cars where the officer may have tagged another car and not your, but that one is only good if you have a good driving record, where the judge will take your testemony in good faith as a safe driver.

al else fails pray to the car gods!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-08, 05:52 AM
Scythe
Lead Lap

no matter what plea NOT guilty, but don't ask for Supporting Deposition, thats just more paper work for the cop, which will make sure he shows up at your court date to give you hell for making him do more paperwork. the Worst that happens is you go to court and get the same penalty you would have sitting at home. If you go to traffic court though they will most likely lower it, say from a 90 in a 65 to a 75 in a 65..especially if you have a clean record.. last time i went to drivers court i had a 84 in a 65 and it got dropped to a "Failing to obey traffic control equipment... (running a stop sign)" which was about half the fine and half the points, and the guy next to me got his 90 in a 65 dropped to 66 in a 65, and it was his second speeding ticket

and if this cop is really that outta hand maybe filing an official complaint would do more than just going into court and saying to the judge 'your cop there is a ****'.. - file it and declare harrassment, say he verbally assaulted you over a legal tint, and describe about the front license plate

again, if you plea not guilty and go to traffic court, you'll have imo a good change of getting them to drop the stupid tickets, and basically consolidate your charge.. and the worse thing that happens is they dont, and then your in the exact same spot

Last edited by Scythe; 02-28-08 at 05:55 AM.
Old 02-28-08, 10:31 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

My understanding is if you fight the speeding ticket and you lose, you forfeit your chance of going to traffic school. Some ppl advice to go to court and hope the officer doesn't show up. IF the officer shows up accept guilt and tell the judge you want to go to traffic school. Can some1 confirm this.
This maybe an issue in your case coz ur going way over the 20mph allowed to attend traffic school. Maybe the judge can lower your speed violation to be able to go to traffic school.
Old 02-28-08, 11:03 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get a good lawyer.
Old 02-28-08, 11:16 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

You play, you pay.

Aloha,
Lead foot Larry
Old 02-29-08, 12:22 AM
Annalyz
Lead Lap

go to court and convince the judge that you made a mistake... hopefully, he or she will let you go with a fee and traffic school?

by the way, where did you get pulled over?
Old 02-29-08, 12:28 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

tell the judge that the voices made you speed
Old 02-29-08, 12:37 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Larrym9681
You play, you pay.

Aloha,
Lead foot Larry
That sucks, you have to PAY to PLAY, then if you PLAY you have to PAY - I think he's gettin' charged twice!

Anyway, OP, you might also look into the the cop HAS to show up to court if you choose to go. Some areas in CA if you contest a ticket the COP must show up, so you might take that into consideration. I guess you could try to go to court regardless, plead guilty, but try to say you were going a lot less than 90 and that you want to go to traffic school. I know someone who did similar and also got their fine reduced without asking for it.

Quick Reply: to fight?