IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Ahh my windshield!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-08, 08:09 AM
iameric
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ahh my windshield!!

So I live in Lubbock where right now it gets from about 80 degrees during the day to 20 at night. I had a small rockchip on the very bottom part of my windshield near where the windshield wipers are. A small crack started to go down to the bottom of the windshield which I didn't mind too much, but when I got in my car this morning there was a HUGE crack from the bottom to left to the very middle of my windshield. I remember reading lots of posts about how crappy the stock windshield is.
About how much am I looking at for a window replacement? And is there any other windshield you all would recommend besides the stock Lexus one?
Old 02-29-08, 08:15 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's your deductible?
Old 02-29-08, 08:19 AM
iameric
Driver

I have no idea what the deductible is. The car is a company car and is being leased and financed through my family's company, while a family friend owns an insurance company is taking care of the insurance. I guess I'll give him a call today and see what the deductible is.
I tried calling Lexus to get a price quote on the windshield and install but they kept telling me my VIN # was wrong, first off I don't know why they need my VIN to tell me a price on an IS 250 windshield. From what I've read I'm expecting it to be $1000 from Lexus, while I called another place in Lubbock and they'll have it installed for $285.
Old 02-29-08, 08:25 AM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iameric
I have no idea what the deductible is. The car is a company car and is being leased and financed through my family's company, while a family friend owns an insurance company is taking care of the insurance. I guess I'll give him a call today and see what the deductible is.
I tried calling Lexus to get a price quote on the windshield and install but they kept telling me my VIN # was wrong, first off I don't know why they need my VIN to tell me a price on an IS 250 windshield. From what I've read I'm expecting it to be $1000 from Lexus, while I called another place in Lubbock and they'll have it installed for $285.
MOST insurance policies will replace a windshield for FREE, Yup free..My Carrera got a chip in it, I drove everywhere looking for the repair places I used to see everywhere, and NO one repaired them anymore! I finally asked one guy who used to do it, but stopped and he said there was no business anymore since insurance companies repair or replace them...I had never heard of this so I called mine and sure enough they sent a guy to my house and repaired it for free...he said if it was a bigger crack, he would have replaced it for free....
Old 02-29-08, 08:29 AM
iameric
Driver

Awesome, I'll give that a try; however, the insurance company we use is based in Louisville, Ky and I live in Lubbock, Tx although I'm sure they could get somebody out here to do it. I'm in good acquaintances with the owner of the insurance company so I'll give him a call and I'll see what he can do. Thanks for the help.
And price on how much it cost somebody to get it done from Lexus would be great.
Old 02-29-08, 09:38 AM
2k2 R1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DaWhole9
MOST insurance policies will replace a windshield for FREE, Yup free..My Carrera got a chip in it, I drove everywhere looking for the repair places I used to see everywhere, and NO one repaired them anymore! I finally asked one guy who used to do it, but stopped and he said there was no business anymore since insurance companies repair or replace them...I had never heard of this so I called mine and sure enough they sent a guy to my house and repaired it for free...he said if it was a bigger crack, he would have replaced it for free....
I'm sorry...but insurance will not "replace" it for free, you'll have to pay deductable for that. They will only "repair" it for free. He ran into the same problem as I did. I too live in Texas...my rockchip was hidden just right under my wipers and it grew more and more through each drive no BS. I went aftermarket...it cost me 3 hundred something installed 1/2-1/3 cheaper than OEM windshield uninstalled. There are no leaks what so ever just the stupid DOT stamp on the passenger side. If you decide to go with OE, call up sewell Lexus they were 300 bucks cheaper than the stealership here in my town.
Old 02-29-08, 09:44 AM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

there was a thread on here where someone had to get theirs repaired and the insurance company sent someone out and she wanted oem and had price search for the thread...
Old 02-29-08, 09:47 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Any windshield you buy will have the safety standards of an OEM windshield at 1/3 the price but don't have the Lexus print in the driver's side corner.
Old 02-29-08, 09:48 AM
iameric
Driver

Well the deductible for my account is $1k and I don't plan on paying that for a windshield. I spoke with my insurance company and they said Kentucky law requires they replace my windshield without making me pay the deductible since it's a direct safety issue or something like that. So hopefully that works out, they're seeing who they can deal with in Lubbock to have this replaced for me.
Are the OE windshields of better quality then the stock windshield?
Old 02-29-08, 01:23 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iameric
Well the deductible for my account is $1k and I don't plan on paying that for a windshield. I spoke with my insurance company and they said Kentucky law requires they replace my windshield without making me pay the deductible since it's a direct safety issue or something like that. So hopefully that works out, they're seeing who they can deal with in Lubbock to have this replaced for me.
Are the OE windshields of better quality then the stock windshield?
OE = original equipment = stock = factory.

There are companies that sell same glass minus the Lexus etching for much cheaper. That is what everyone is talking about.
Old 02-29-08, 02:45 PM
2k2 R1
Lead Lap

I'm a little lost where does Kentucky come in play? What state is the insurance policy in?
Old 02-29-08, 02:49 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k2 R1
I'm a little lost where does Kentucky come in play? What state is the insurance policy in?
its where headquarters is probably at. most place operate under that state's specific guides. in most cases it will benefit them. i was a lender for a federal bank to the mortgage industry and i could practice what other banks couldnt becuase of location...i assume this is what they mean here. I believe IL is like this also??

Good luck to the OP on getting it fixed!
Old 02-29-08, 07:22 PM
iameric
Driver

So the windshield seems to be alright, there's still tape I need to keep on it for 24 hours. Today when I was driving on the highway though I swore I could hear wind coming through the top of my windshield; my passenger said they couldn't hear it. I'll give it the 24 hours and if it's still making the sound tomorrow I'm going to be upset. There didn't seem to be much if any sealant on top, should there be? I checked another IS 250 in the parking lot and there seemed to be a liner. Anyone got pics?
Old 02-29-08, 07:30 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k2 R1
I'm sorry...but insurance will not "replace" it for free, you'll have to pay deductable for that. They will only "repair" it for free. He ran into the same problem as I did. I too live in Texas...my rockchip was hidden just right under my wipers and it grew more and more through each drive no BS. I went aftermarket...it cost me 3 hundred something installed 1/2-1/3 cheaper than OEM windshield uninstalled. There are no leaks what so ever just the stupid DOT stamp on the passenger side. If you decide to go with OE, call up sewell Lexus they were 300 bucks cheaper than the stealership here in my town.

It depends on your State and policy. In CT there is 1st $ coverage for glass replacement as a policy option. Last year I had a windshield and and a side window replaced, nothing out of pocket.

BTW, the fact that the ins co is paying for it doesn't mean it is free. You have enough in claims and you'll see the premium change. In the end you pay for it.
Old 02-29-08, 07:58 PM
2k2 R1
Lead Lap

^ exactly...what I was trying to say is cracking windshield happened to me 4 months ago. since we are both in Texas (I assume) I was just stating my experience. My insurance (Allstate) will only pay for it if it's repairable with no deductable. In the other hand, if the whole windshield needs to be replace, then the OP will have to pay his 1k deductable which is no point of filing a claim. something this small you should really pay out of your own pocket.

Quick Reply: Ahh my windshield!!