IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone using an iPhone and aux input for music?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-08, 06:19 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Anyone using an iPhone and aux input for music?

Not that I have an iPhone yet and can't really get one yet in Canada, but I'm wondering if anyone is using their iPhone in their IS. I'm wondering if you have it connected to the stereo via the aux input, what happens when a call comes in. Does it work without issue via the bluetooth through the car as any bluetooth enabled and paired phone would?

Eventually once the iPhone is available (without unlocking it) in Canada I want to get one but want to confirm that it would work well in this fashion.
Old 03-02-08, 06:38 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

I can't comment about the bluetooth as my car doesn't have nav, but I do have it connected to the aux input. When I'm listening to music and a call comes in, the music fades down and the phone rings as it normally would. After you finish the call, the iPhone goes right back into iPod mode and continues from where you left off in the song - very slick.

Javier
Old 03-02-08, 07:04 AM
BoOst3d
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good idea, i might get an iphone instead of an ipod
Old 03-02-08, 07:08 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

I'm hoping that the bluetooth connection will still function so you can just plug the phone into the aux input of the car and receive calls through the bluetooth connection. I am concerned that having the iPhone connected to the stereo will change it's bluetooth behaviour and disable the link so that you will need to pick up the phone to receive calls. I am hoping it doesn't do that.
Old 03-02-08, 07:51 AM
mt1
Rookie

I have an iphone. i bought a male to male cable to plug it into the Aux jack. F'ing Apple decided to make the iphone headphone jack non-standard, so the standard 3.5mm headphone cable does not work. =( I have found a Belkin adapter on the internet, but will see if I can find one at BB or CC today. Once I have all the necessary cables and adapters, I will let you know how the Bluetooth phone connection works while playing music.
Old 03-02-08, 08:37 AM
chb402
Driver

just get SL2Vi from vaistech.com that is really good. search on it
Old 03-02-08, 08:53 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Damn Apple, why would they go and change the headphone jack. That means that the Monster adapter I have won't work then.
Old 03-02-08, 08:53 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

I can have it connected to my Belkin Autokit. It gives the error "This accessory is not designed for the iPhone", but the music still plays. I don't know what it will do when it receives a call. I almost always use my iPod Video.
Old 03-02-08, 08:57 AM
Swisha
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mt1
I have an iphone. i bought a male to male cable to plug it into the Aux jack. F'ing Apple decided to make the iphone headphone jack non-standard, so the standard 3.5mm headphone cable does not work. =( I have found a Belkin adapter on the internet, but will see if I can find one at BB or CC today. Once I have all the necessary cables and adapters, I will let you know how the Bluetooth phone connection works while playing music.
all you have to do is cut a 1/4 inch off the plastic and it will plug in.
Old 03-02-08, 09:02 AM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TorontoIS
Damn Apple, why would they go and change the headphone jack. That means that the Monster adapter I have won't work then.
Its just a cable...get an adapter or a new cable at the Apple store...not alot of $$$ . They HAD to change the connector as the iPhone has a stereo headset AND microphone in one adapter unlike the iPod that just has a headset...so 3 channels of audio in the iPhone 2 outputs (left and right) and 1 input (microphone)...the iPod just has 2 outputs. So if they DIDNT physically change the cable, people would plug there regular old stereo cable in, which would actually short out the connection and ruin the iPhone....Can you imagine..."why would apple not change the connector so I wouldnt short my iPhone out?"....So buy a $20 cable and stop complaining...they didnt do it to screw people...the only other option is to put a mic jack on the iphone...and you have a headset and a separate mic...and people say, "why do I have to carry a separate mic and headset? why not make it all in one?"....they couldnt win on this one...so make people buy a $20 cable...what they could have done is raise the price by $20 and include it? But people already say it costs too much and people would be paying for something that not everyone needs.
Old 03-02-08, 09:16 AM
Toptier
Pole Position

If you are using the AUX cable with the adapter the iphone work just the same as if you had head phones plugged in. The bluetooth still works as if the phone was in your pocket.
Old 03-02-08, 10:08 AM
sandwiches
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Confirmed, if you have music playing out of the headphone jack on the iPhone and receive a call, answer using the steering wheel. The call will be routed over Bluetooth system normally.
The following users liked this post:
LS460chic (07-01-24)
Old 03-02-08, 11:28 AM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwiches
Confirmed, if you have music playing out of the headphone jack on the iPhone and receive a call, answer using the steering wheel. The call will be routed over Bluetooth system normally.
Sweet....does the caller ID work on the Nav screen? If so you could actually put the phone in the glove box and never have to see it....
Old 03-02-08, 11:58 AM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a Ram Din from ipod dock port to 3.5 mini jack. This gives you the BEST sound.
Old 03-02-08, 01:43 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaWhole9
Sweet....does the caller ID work on the Nav screen? If so you could actually put the phone in the glove box and never have to see it....
You have to have the names and numbers in the cars phonebook and it will show up.

Quick Reply: Anyone using an iPhone and aux input for music?