IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 VS. Hyundai genesis

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-08, 01:15 PM
Navigatn
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to be honest, i'd rock a genesis over an is250. over here IS's are nothing special. valet parking with the rest of the camrys and accords.

Last edited by Navigatn; 03-04-08 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-04-08, 01:16 PM
Navigatn
Pole Position

o snap 100th post ftw
Old 03-04-08, 01:28 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Smooth 1
Again, I think this seems to be more than what it really is. CK6speed, I don't think it just jumps in front of the Maxima or the TSX, and aeven a few others on that list. There is a ton to be said about fit, finish and feel. That's why we don't buy cars from catalogs. We all go to the dealership and DRIVE them first. I hate cheesy feeling buttons. Never mind that the button is for windshield washers on my headlights, if it feels cheap and cheesy, then it is what it is. Cheap leather still feels like cheap leather. But in the pictures all you see is 24 way power leather seats.
I'm not knocking the Hyundai in any way. I say some of the same things about alot of cars on the market today. But RCA offers alot of the same features as a Mark Levinson or Bob Carver, but it will never be one.

Exactly. But that is the thing. I spend a lot of time checking out the Avalon as I was thinking about buying one. In a lot of ways it is near lexus like, but also a lot short comings as well in terms of platic interior feel, buttons and such. I checked out the new latest Accord as it looks great and near Acura like, until I sat in one and realized it really is in the Honda class. I've only checked out a couple of late model Hyundai's as until the Genesis line came out I wasn't too intersted in them, and I have to say interior fit, finish, and just over all feel of materials feel on par with any Toyota/Honda out there.

Like I said, it is yet to be determined exactly how well built or poorly built the Genesis really will be, but based on how Hyundai's current crop of cars stack up against bench marks like Honda and Toyota, I would have to say I wont be surprised if the Genesis (Which they want to be a more upscale car) is put together a lot better than your typical Hyundai, and thus better than a lot of those cars mentioned. Would it be LS460 good? I doubt it. Not even GS350 good. But I wouldn't be surprised if it is ES350 or G35 good, and that is a darn good start for a first time attept by Hyundai.

I personally don't think the dealership network will be as good a Lexus or other luxury branded cars, but I peronally don't care about that. It doesn't matter too me if I'm sitting on a plastic chair or a leather chair at the dealer. I want to spend as little time at a dealership, so as long as the car gets done in a timely manner that is good enough for me. I usually go to independent services anyway. Hyundai is nowhere near Lexus level in the grand scheme of things. But that really isn't what I'm talking about. I just think the Genesis as a car itself is a worthy competor and a good car. Peronally, I don't even care for the Lexus ES line so just because it comes from a good luxury company doesn't mean it is better.
Old 03-04-08, 02:19 PM
Smooth 1
Driver

So, are you saying that the LS is better built than a GS? And a GS is better built than an ES?
Old 03-04-08, 02:32 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So, are you saying that the LS is better built than a GS? And a GS is better built than an ES?
Personally? I think so. LS uses a better tranny for one than the ES350. At the moment, I woudn't touch the ES350 with the potential tranny flair. I also thought the GS fit and finish was a little looser even compared to the Acura RL I compared it to. In terms of pannel gaps, rattles, and such. The haven't been able to test drive an LS460 myself but only sat in one so I can't compare the over all build quality, but given my last 99 LS400, I'd say hopefully it is as good. Over all, I don't think any of the newer Lexus cars are build as well as the slightly older Lexus cars. But that is just my opinion. Even our 04 RX330 had some problems, but nothing major. Mostly an annoying tranny.
Old 03-04-08, 04:17 PM
Namster
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you notice what I notice when I first look at the Genesis sedan? The front view looks like a Toyota Camry (front grill). The side view looks like a Nissan Altima/G35 (Back door design). And the back view looks like a BMW 335i (backlight design). Is this where Hyundai got their ideas from for their new Genesis Sedan design? I'm sure it's a great car except the design kinda confuses me...but hey I'll take the Genesis Coupe anytime...design is completely awesome! Very sick!

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/hyundai-concept-genesis/

http://news.windingroad.com/wp-galle...2_itemId=20949
Old 03-04-08, 04:28 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I can't speak for the GS, but I've driven both the LS460 and ES350 for extended periods (weeks) of time, and I can tell you that without question the LS460 is a better built car than the ES350. It drives better, looks better, and the interior fit and finish is superior in every way to that of the ES350.

Javier
Old 03-04-08, 04:38 PM
4U2eNv_8o8
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ister
Do you notice what I notice when I first look at the Genesis sedan? The front view looks like a Toyota Camry (front grill). The side view looks like a Nissan Altima/G35 (Back door design). And the back view looks like a BMW 335i (backlight design). Is this where Hyundai got their ideas from for their new Genesis Sedan design? I'm sure it's a great car except the design kinda confuses me...but hey I'll take the Genesis Coupe anytime...design is completely awesome! Very sick!

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/hyundai-concept-genesis/

http://news.windingroad.com/wp-galle...2_itemId=20949
Yea. I think I would also take the coupe. I would want to see if they would bring this concept into production. I've seen on their website that they "ARE" planning to put it into production. They are supposedly making 2 trims for the coupe. Either the V6 or the 4 cylinder turbo. They are saying that it should put out 300+HP and not as much as the Genesis Sedan is offering. They said all the little extras that they added on the Genesis Coupe Concept is going to be different in production and its not really going to include all of it(ex.hood).
Old 03-04-08, 04:45 PM
Smooth 1
Driver

Well, my whole take on the whole car thing is everyone has different priorities and different tastes. that's why there are so many different styles. A perfect example is the PT Cruiser phenomenon. I just don't get that whole thing. But I admire that they like what they like, and it brought all those people together. And if you ask them, they would put a PT Cruiser over any BMW or Lexus. I don't think that makes it a fact. And based on some of the "logic" I have read on here, why would anyone spend 70K on a Nissan GTR then? Especially considering the Corvette, Porcshe, and BMW market that car steps up into? Yet, the presold list is quite long at alot of dealerships!
To say "Oh you wasted your money on a Lexus when you could have bought a Hyundai." is just a stupid statement. You could forever base that logic on the next car in line. " Oh, you wasted your money on a Hyundai when you could have bought a Nissan!"
I didn't buy my IS 350 because it was a Lexus. I bought it because in the dollar range I wanted to be in, or under, I thought it was a combination of the best looking car, speed and power, amenities, and manufacturer performance history. The fact that it was a Lexus was just another plus. I have purchased many different cars at different times in my life for different reasons and to fulfill different needs. This was one of the few times I could buy one based on my own desires alone, and not have to consider outside accomidating factors. I know I made the right choice for myself. especially when I get to drive down a city street with the big picture windows and I can see the reflection of me in my 2008 Black on Black IS 350!!!! Man that is hot! And that's what it takes to meet my desires. Now for those of you who buy a Hyundai, and whatever part of that gives you that feeling, if it be looking in your wallet and seeing how much less money you spent, then happy day for you! But this whole This car is better than that car, and that car is better than those, is ridiculous. Too many people reading too many car magazines and not thinking for themselves. My car is the best car in the world for me! And that's all that matters. If Hyundai built a car that knocked off the Mercedes AMG 550 or outperformed the Mclaren F1, who cares? Does that make the F1 any less of the car it is?
the compition between all the car manufacturers is just too stiff. I honestly think Hyundai is just trying to buy some market share. I doubt the car is the "Deal of the century." they are cutting corners somewhere. I even doubt we would be having this conversation if the car made 250 hp and was a V6 instead.
Old 03-04-08, 05:03 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

I am going to say this one more time.

It does not matter how hard you try, you just can not POLISH A TURD!

It just can not be done, people!

Cheers,

Old Oiler

Last edited by Old Oiler; 03-04-08 at 05:04 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-04-08, 05:58 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Old Oiler
I am going to say this one more time.

It does not matter how hard you try, you just can not POLISH A TURD!

It just can not be done, people!

Cheers,

Old Oiler
What if that turd went more miles with fewer problems than Mercedes, BMW, and Audi? More than likely, it will. What good is world class performance if the car is a POS?

The whole point behind the Genesis is class leading luxury and performance at its price point. No other manufacturer can do what Hyundai does.

People talk. Blah, blah, blah. Hyundai this and Hyundai that. These same people aren't paying attention to the direction that Hyundai is headed. Forget about the past because that's exactly what it is. Hyundai is headed down the right path, the path to excellence and they're getting there FAST.
Old 03-04-08, 06:09 PM
Smooth 1
Driver

Originally Posted by IS350jet
What if that turd went more miles with fewer problems than Mercedes, BMW, and Audi? More than likely, it will. What good is world class performance if the car is a POS?

The whole point behind the Genesis is class leading luxury and performance at its price point. No other manufacturer can do what Hyundai does.

People talk. Blah, blah, blah. Hyundai this and Hyundai that. These same people aren't paying attention to the direction that Hyundai is headed. Forget about the past because that's exactly what it is. Hyundai is headed down the right path, the path to excellence and they're getting there FAST.
Has anyone even sat in one yet? I can't beleive people are buying this car from pictures and a stat sheet alone.
Old 03-04-08, 06:17 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet

Forget talk of the intro of Lexus, Acura and Infiniti. This is the exact attitude American car companies had of Japanese companies in the late 70s/early 80s--those POS cars will never rival American cars. Then, unintimidated, American car companies pocketed all their profits, failed to pump $$ into improving their cars--and they have been playing catch-up ever since.
Old 03-04-08, 07:16 PM
Smooth 1
Driver

Are we comparing what the Japanese auto industry did to Hyundai introducing the Genesis car?
Old 03-04-08, 09:10 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know I made the right choice for myself. especially when I get to drive down a city street with the big picture windows and I can see the reflection of me in my 2008 Black on Black IS 350!!!! Man that is hot!
For some reason this just made me laugh

Glad you're enjoying your IS though

Quick Reply: IS250 VS. Hyundai genesis