IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 VS. Hyundai genesis

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-08 | 09:10 PM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Genesis seems like garbage from my own personal experience compared to the IS 250. God knows how garbage it feels compared to the 350 thanks to the power boast. The power in the Genesis beats the 250 but the interior is horrible compared to the 250. The exterior also leaves me with some more desire...

BTW I saw it in Detroit...

Last edited by Zinda; 03-04-08 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-04-08 | 09:29 PM
ISmy350JDM
Pole Position

interesting concept
Old 03-04-08 | 09:48 PM
mctuners
Lead Lap

Like other ppl said, Genesis sedan is in different class from IS250, but if I get to pick one for the same price(which will not happen), I will get the Genesis. Hyundai still has that 'cheap car' image, but I was very impressed when I rented a new Sonata from a retal car company by its power and ride. It's just brand perception that drives people to prefer Lexus Much more IMO.
Old 03-04-08 | 10:30 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Smooth 1
Has anyone even sat in one yet? I can't beleive people are buying this car from pictures and a stat sheet alone.
It is not just his new Genesis, but the cars they have produced currently in the past 5 or so years. Granted, they are not Honda/Toyota caliber, but they are definitely in the same ball park and competing. Most of us are not basing the Genesis solely on the pictures alone, but on what we see of the pictures, see of the specs, and what they already have out in the market today. The assumption is that the Genesis at the very least will be as reliable and well put together as current Hyundai's and more than likely better. I posted a few links that show how current Hyundai's for all intents and purposes are basically on par with Honda/Toyota cars in terms of quality and reliability. Now, that could be because Honda/Toyota are slipping, or because Hyundai is actually starting to put together good quality cars. They have been ranking high in initial quality, long term reliability, and repeat customer satisfaction. If it were Honda/Toyota we'd all be saying its the norm. When its Hyundai nobody believes it.

Hyundai is not Lexus caliber and maybe it never will be. But it sure is starting to beat Honda and Toyota. Currently the only Toyota I'd but is the Avalon and the Tacoma truck. The only Honda I'd buy is the Odyssey.
Old 03-05-08 | 12:52 AM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know this is a very bad joke! How could you compare a LEXUS to a Hyundai!!!!!!!!!!! You could spend $$$ on sound system doesn't mean your car became HIGH END car!!! DUDE!!!
Old 03-05-08 | 02:58 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISbb
You know this is a very bad joke! How could you compare a LEXUS to a Hyundai!!!!!!!!!!! You could spend $$$ on sound system doesn't mean your car became HIGH END car!!! DUDE!!!
What if (and it's not a very big if) the Genesis rides quieter than a GS, has more power, goes down the road more solidly, handles better, has a better sound system, (Lexicon ranks right up there with Mark Levinson), and turns out to be just as reliable? All this for thousands less. You have to explain to me why they can't be compared? Is it just because the name? IMO, if the Genesis never existed and was introduced as a brand new Lexus, Acura, or Infiniti you'd never know the difference. It's brand snobbery, that's all it is. The Genesis will be like nothing Hyundai has ever done before. It will be a taste of what Hyundai will be in the future. Believe me when I say, Acura, Lexus, Infiniti, BMW, Mercedes, and Audi are watching Hyundai very closely. They'd be fools not to.
Old 03-05-08 | 04:23 AM
mctuners
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS350jet
What if (and it's not a very big if) the Genesis rides quieter than a GS, has more power, goes down the road more solidly, handles better, has a better sound system, (Lexicon ranks right up there with Mark Levinson), and turns out to be just as reliable? All this for thousands less. You have to explain to me why they can't be compared? Is it just because the name? IMO, if the Genesis never existed and was introduced as a brand new Lexus, Acura, or Infiniti you'd never know the difference. It's brand snobbery, that's all it is. The Genesis will be like nothing Hyundai has ever done before. It will be a taste of what Hyundai will be in the future. Believe me when I say, Acura, Lexus, Infiniti, BMW, Mercedes, and Audi are watching Hyundai very closely. They'd be fools not to.
I'm not a big fan of Hyundai, but I agree with you 100%
Old 03-05-08 | 05:34 AM
Smooth 1
Driver

So then what about the new Chevy Malibu? And lest us not forget the new Hybrid Tahoe. Cadillac is due to unveil the all new CTS-V with 550 hp!! Saturn's all new Opel platform that is coming. Dodge is in the midst of a revamp, so is Ford. Audi has been putting out such high hp numbers out of smaller engines, LAmborghini is bumping up thier hp numbers to maintain seperation! Honda is ready to release the first Hydrogen cell fully powered car! So, what makes what Hyundai so special? I think it's good to know that Lexus is a bench mark that others strive to attain, and consider it a compliment that everyone on here wants to compare it to the Lexus line.
Old 03-05-08 | 06:28 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

So, what makes what Hyundai so special?
As I posted earlier, Hyundai (when speaking of the Genesis) can do what no manufacturer can do, which is build class leading luxury and performance at an almost unheard of price point.
Old 03-05-08 | 06:35 AM
Smooth 1
Driver

Originally Posted by IS350jet
As I posted earlier, Hyundai (when speaking of the Genesis) can do what no manufacturer can do, which is build class leading luxury and performance at an almost unheard of price point.
That's a completely subjective statement coming from someone who hasn't sat in, nor driven a Genesis. On paper, alot of cars look really good. But that's why we play the game right?
Class leading huh? So tell, me, what new technology, safety devise, performance advancement, or something that justifies that statement? Class Leading!
Old 03-05-08 | 07:01 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That's a completely subjective statement coming from someone who hasn't sat in, nor driven a Genesis. On paper, alot of cars look really good. But that's why we play the game right?
Class leading huh? So tell, me, what new technology, safety devise, performance advancement, or something that justifies that statement? Class Leading!
The question is--"What is the class?" I see the class that the Genesis targets as mid-sized family sedans, NOT luxury or near-luxury models. While it's true that no one here has driven a Genesis, we have all read about it, and, for the projected price point, it is class leading in the amount of features offered. I'm going to assume that it's less than $40K--who else offers a 375 HP mid-full sized sedan (even the 290HP V6 is pretty darn good), with 8 air bags, AFS, rear view camera, rain sensing wipers, 500W stereo, nav w/30 GB HD, heated/cooled (NOT vented) seats, blue tooth? No one. 99% of the people out there dont care one bit if Hyundai is not breaking new ground with technology, features, etc.

It's not class leading when comapred to luxury cars--it's just cheaper. It may not be class leading as to quality/reliability when compared to Accord, Avalon, Maxima, etc. But you get much more for your money with the Genesis. And that's what all the hype is about--if I've got $40K to spend, what do I want? I think a lot of people will choose this car.
Old 03-05-08 | 07:06 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

I think history will tell us... "Hyundai are what we thought they were!! If you want to crown'em, then crown their a$$!!! They are who we thought they were! And we let 'em off the hook!"

I can't believe people are already defending a car they probably have no previous history with before it's been released. Pricing is not even set yet, right? In the absence of the real car and a test drive, past reputation and performance is the only thing to go on. Why are people already assuming somehow Hyundai has found a secret formula to selling a car at 50% of its "competition" price and be profitable in this cutthroat car market? Does anybody question what steps must have been taken to make that price what it is if people are saying it'll give a Lexus or MB a run?

If we were all buying cars on paper, there would be no sales of the IS or 335i versus the G35. Everybody would buy a Corvette over a 911. A Ford Fusion would be the best selling car instead of the Camry.
Old 03-05-08 | 09:27 AM
SpaceCadet
Driver

Originally Posted by sirkfc
I think history will tell us... "Hyundai are what we thought they were!! If you want to crown'em, then crown their a$$!!! They are who we thought they were! And we let 'em off the hook!"
rflmao......
Old 03-05-08 | 10:17 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Please don't take my words out of context. I did not say "class leading" I said "class leading luxury and performance at an unheard of price point" There's a big difference there. With that said, you are correct that this is all on paper as no one has driven one yet. On paper, it looks very promising and I can't wait for the reviews to come out.
Old 03-05-08 | 12:16 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

MY GOD! This thread is STILL going on???? COME ON people!

Quick Reply: IS250 VS. Hyundai genesis