IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 VS. Hyundai genesis

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-08, 09:26 AM
dannygjatt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS250 VS. Hyundai genesis

So this friend at work is looking to buy that new genesis when it comes out, it seems like you get everything fully loaded for about $30k. Anyway he is making fun of how i spent $12k more and got my IS250. he said the Lexicon stereo in the Genesis is better than the Mark Levinson. all the options in my IS250 are in the Genesis, rain sensing wipers, navi, heated/cool seats, rear camera, bluetooth, etc. what do you guys think??
Old 03-02-08, 09:34 AM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

Korean cars are a no, no...
Old 03-02-08, 09:36 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

It's hard to argue the value proposition of a hyundai vs a Lexus. The Japanese brands started out the same way; cheap alternatives that progressively got better.
Old 03-02-08, 09:41 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The Hyundai Genesis will be an awesome car. Hyundai's reliability has gone up. People who still think Hyundai build crappy cars needs to take a look at what the world thought of Lexus when they were first introduced to the market.

The Genesis offers 3 engines according to a few resources: 3.3L V6, 3.8L v6, and 4.6L V8 with an output of 268hp/233ftlbs, 290h/264ftlbs, and 380hp/??? ftlbs, respectively.

For $30k, you're probably going to get the 3.3L v6, which is still ahead of the IS250 in the power department.
Old 03-02-08, 09:47 AM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you spent 42K on your 250 you got raped. I got mine fully loaded with nav, front lip and a rear spoiler for 34,875 out the door.
Old 03-02-08, 09:52 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The IS is still a Lexus, but the Genesis even as a Hyundai is poised to compete in a different category. Mostly against the GS, M35 and such. If you removed the Hyundai name from the Genesis, you can't deny what a potentially great car it is. Your friend is an jerk for making fun of you and your IS simply because it is not nice to make fun of people, but on paper the Genesis is one hell of a car. Its a car I wouldn't mind owning myself based on what we know so far.
Old 03-02-08, 10:00 AM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
The IS is still a Lexus, but the Genesis even as a Hyundai is poised to compete in a different category. Mostly against the GS, M35 and such. If you removed the Hyundai name from the Genesis, you can't deny what a potentially great car it is. Your friend is an jerk for making fun of you and your IS simply because it is not nice to make fun of people, but on paper the Genesis is one hell of a car. Its a car I wouldn't mind owning myself based on what we know so far.
I thought their targeted competition was the bmw 5 category haha....
Old 03-02-08, 10:01 AM
man8959
Driver

i dont care what features is come with but it still a hyundai
Old 03-02-08, 10:02 AM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

.....at the end of the day hes getting into a Hyundai and ur getting into a Lexus. what do u think a chick would rather be in the passenger seat of?
Old 03-02-08, 10:02 AM
GSteg
Rookie

It is, which is why he said "Mostly against the GS, M35 and such." The 5-series is in the same class as the GS, M, E,etc.
Old 03-02-08, 10:03 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by inxexisten
I thought their targeted competition was the bmw 5 category haha....
I personally think the Lexus GS, Infiniti M car and such compete against the BMW 5 series and that they are all in the same target range. LS460 against the 7 and S class and such.
Old 03-02-08, 10:05 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by man8959
i dont care what features is come with but it still a hyundai
Originally Posted by ReLexin
.....at the end of the day hes getting into a Hyundai and ur getting into a Lexus. what do u think a chick would rather be in the passenger seat of?
Even though it's still a 'hyundai', you have to remember what the world thought of Lexus back in the late 80s. The way many Lexus guys are looking down at Hyundai is similar to the way the MB, BMW, etc guys looked at Lexus back then.

To some, "Lexus is still an expensive Toyota", which we know isn't true at all. Perhaps Hyundai gave extra attention to the Genesis, just like how Toyota gives Lexus the same treatment. All we can do from now on is just wait for its debut to see what the car is all about.
Old 03-02-08, 10:17 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
Even though it's still a 'hyundai', you have to remember what the world thought of Lexus back in the late 80s. The way many Lexus guys are looking down at Hyundai is similar to the way the MB, BMW, etc guys looked at Lexus back then.

To some, "Lexus is still an expensive Toyota", which we know isn't true at all. Perhaps Hyundai gave extra attention to the Genesis, just like how Toyota gives Lexus the same treatment. All we can do from now on is just wait for its debut to see what the car is all about.
I agree. I remember when the NSX first came out the Ferrari guys always used to say "It's still a Honda". It may be true, but it was one heck of a good Honda

The Genesis may take a while to loose its Hyundai stigma with the general public, but most car guys judge a car itself and not the name on it. Everyone I talk to really likes the Genesis. Then when they hear its a Hyundai some of them dismiss it. I guess some people are just brand name *****s and buy because it sounds good, and not because it is good.
Old 03-02-08, 10:22 AM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

IS 250 is not supposed to be compared with genesis.

IS250 - entry level for LExus
Genesis - MOST Luxurious Hyundai..!? Haha..shld be compared with LS460 dude!!
Old 03-02-08, 10:50 AM
moses0324
Driver

i cant beleive we are actually comparing a lexus to a hyundai...not even in the same league...i dont care if that was where lexus was in the 80's...the fact is hyundai is a lower level car...not even on the same tier

hyundai in my eyes is even lower than toyota and honda....hyundai is down with kia and mitsubishi....lets not continue this fooolishness...thanks

Quick Reply: IS250 VS. Hyundai genesis