Sqweeks and rattles

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-08, 05:35 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sqweeks and rattles

Hi All,
I'm sure if you have a 2gen. IS for any length of time, you've heard a few sqweeks and rattles.
This past weekend, I drove aprox. 200 miles in my car and noticed that I was turning the radio up , so I didn't hear the noices the dash makes...
they are so small and I don't think this would have been an issue if the car wasn't so tight from the factory.
I enjoy fixing this stuff my-self, and not to offend anyone, but most of the mechanics I've met are streight up hackers...( Please don't take offense if you are good mech...Your not the one I'm speaking of. )...
So taking it to a dealer to get it corrected is a shot in the dark.
And I don't feel I should need to take a day or so of my time to experiment with it, when we paid what we did for the car.
What should I do. I love the car , and I only have 12k, it's 07'AWD, the noices are coming from multiple locations. Above the gauges, air vents, and fake speaker grill.( No ML ).
To break it down, I am very interested in an ISF, and the wife likes the RX,
her Lease is up in 5 months... but if this is what a lexus is about, I'm going to go to BMW.
Please help.
Old 03-03-08, 05:48 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 310 Likes on 269 Posts

You can try the silicone spray in the cracks/joints trick if the noises are superficial ticks and creaks around the front of the dash.
Old 03-03-08, 05:56 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sktn77a
You can try the silicone spray in the cracks/joints trick if the noises are superficial ticks and creaks around the front of the dash.
Nice trick. Have you tried that?
Do you mean Front as in near the windshield?
Old 03-03-08, 10:11 AM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

I found out on mine that it isnt the center speaker grill rattling or squeaking. It is actually the part of the dash underneath the grill. I only found that out when someone posted the secret compartment. If you put alittle weight on it the noise goes away. I was going to find a cheap speaker to put in its place accept i cant find one in that size.

Do you guys with the ML system have that rattle?

That dash has a gauges have 2 screws that i tightened and works fine. Might put locktite so they dont work loose. This only happened when the did my TSB on the center speaker rattle.

BMW have other problems. My best friend owns a 330I of the same year. Some arent even fixable. The tirewear is bad because of the setup for great handling. I think since they are luxury cars they might be over engineered and causes other problems.

That is my opinion and i am sticking with it!
Old 03-03-08, 10:39 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 310 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Big *****
Nice trick. Have you tried that?
Do you mean Front as in near the windshield?
Actually, pretty much anywhere you can clean up the overspray.
Old 03-03-08, 11:43 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my rattles fixed under a TSIB. They have a special "noise kit" for this which is basically a felt kit. it works and I am happy now. Their are also 2 clips that need to be replaced under the windshield. Take it to the delaer and be specific about the locations. My car is quiet now. It was worth the week my dealer had my car.
Old 03-03-08, 12:25 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Be careful with which silicone spray to use. The ONLY recommended one is 3M Silicone Lubricant Plus, Wet Type. Others may do more harm in the future. VERY effective on the sunroof.
Old 03-04-08, 04:48 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Default Thank You !

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
Be careful with which silicone spray to use. The ONLY recommended one is 3M Silicone Lubricant Plus, Wet Type. Others may do more harm in the future. VERY effective on the sunroof.
THANK YOU !This seems to have cured about 90% so far...VERY good to know. Everyone should know about this trick.
I was driving myself crazy trying to fix, and it seems to have done the trick.
Thanks again. My ride to work today was very peaceful.
Old 03-04-08, 06:12 AM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Brian231
I had my rattles fixed under a TSIB. They have a special "noise kit" for this which is basically a felt kit. it works and I am happy now. Their are also 2 clips that need to be replaced under the windshield. Take it to the delaer and be specific about the locations. My car is quiet now. It was worth the week my dealer had my car.
every since I did this TSB, noise kit, rattles for the dash, I get the new squeaks from below the speaker on the dash. It is far less annoying than the original rattles, but annoying nonetheless.

Thanks! I will try this 3M spray too. I will spray right along the inner front windshield line (cleaning the window extensively afterwards).

If this does not work, then back to the dealer to have them do it. I never had these squeaks before they took the dash apart.
Old 03-04-08, 06:16 AM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

I've got quite a couple squeaks and creaking in my car too..it's a brand new 08' with about 3k miles It comes from the headliner and somewhere on the passenger side. Only when I'm flexing the chassis such as turning into a plaza or coming in&out of an angled exit/entrance. It's dead silent when it comes to hitting speed bumps and dips but when the chassis is twisted in any motion it creaks like a 10yr old car and it makes me pretty damn sad..
Old 03-04-08, 06:23 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sirCharles
I never had these squeaks before they took the dash apart.
I've read where people like Brian had great results with a dash pull and fix. Others have worse rattles and squeaks or like you,different rattles.
I guess it comes down to the know how of the particular mechanic.
I have some very small dash issues that I'll try to deal with using the 3M stuff.Biggest issue I have is the popping rock hit windshield sound that happen a couple times.
I don't want any dealer service to pull my dash unless things get much worse.
Old 03-04-08, 06:33 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sirCharles
every since I did this TSB, noise kit, rattles for the dash, I get the new squeaks from below the speaker on the dash. It is far less annoying than the original rattles, but annoying nonetheless.

Thanks! I will try this 3M spray too. I will spray right along the inner front windshield line (cleaning the window extensively afterwards).

If this does not work, then back to the dealer to have them do it. I never had these squeaks before they took the dash apart.
I used a piece of felt under the speaker grill for that noice... Seems to have cured it for now...
Old 03-04-08, 06:35 AM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I've read where people like Brian had great results with a dash pull and fix. Others have worse rattles and squeaks or like you,different rattles.
I have some very small dash issues that I'll try to deal with using the 3M stuff.Biggest issue I have is the popping rock hit windshield sound that happen a couple times.
Yeah it was a win lose. But I feel that the squeaks can be removed as it also may be related to the colder temps, but to be honest it was never making any squeaks before dash kit was installed.

But like I said, I had a nasty rattle from those clips under the dash, so it was still good decision. That noise was killer! Like guy said earlier, I can put extreme pressure on the dash/dash speaker area while driving and no squeaks. It sounds like cheaps plastic just creaking when going over bumps...somewhat faint as passengers have difficult time hearing it, but I have just happen to have dog ears for this one... Nalley Lexus in Atlanta has assured me the next time I come in, they will fix. Problem is just too busy or lazy nowadays. Will wait till next oil change.

So I think they can correct this by tightening the dash or something. But you are right, if dash is not big issue, try not to have it removed.
Old 03-04-08, 06:36 AM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Big *****
I used a piece of felt under the speaker grill for that noice... Seems to have cured it for now...
ooh, interesting...I will look into this. Thanks!
Old 03-04-08, 06:51 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Yes, I told the dealer the take their time. It was a week to perform 4 TSIB's and I was fine with that only because I had the loaner. That rock pop hitting the windshield sound is not only startling, but pure annoyance for a car of this cost. Maybe on a Cavalier, but not a Lexus. It is caused by two clips that meet the windshield to the dash. The Noise Kit has replacement ones I was told. My dealer was well aware of this issue and gave me no problem. Even my service advisor had this done to his wifes car. It does seem a bit scary to remove the dash, but there is not that much involved in doing so with the 2gen. Besides, if the passeneger airbag activates in a crash and the car is repairable, they have to tak out the dash skin anyway. It is designed to be removed. If there were no TSIB, I would have taken it apart myself anyway and made my own noise kit to combat the squeeks, rattles, popping etc. Then I would have posted pics for everyone to fix there vehicles and thus, save everyones sanity.

Quick Reply: Sqweeks and rattles