IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I need help deciding! What would you do? BMW vs IS250

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-08, 12:22 PM
truce209
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its great that they offer free maint. up to 50k. But if you get the bimmer, get the extended warranty, which probably a couple more thousand?.. it'll be worth it.

IMO, new car vs. a certified used.. Go with the IS. =)
Old 03-04-08, 03:52 AM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

the BMW looks good on paper to me, but i am not fan of how this car looks, try to get a similar offer on a coupe.
Old 03-04-08, 04:01 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Default I've owned both- NO CONTEST

Originally Posted by Lem144
***F*^K*** This is so hard.

Here is my dilemma
New IS250 MT with F-sport clutch/short shift
Used 2007 328xi with 22300 miles, MT with premium (real leather and blue tooth), sport pkg and cold weather pkg.

BMW is $60 more per month in my payment over the Lex.

Any suggestions? I know I'm talking to a Lexus board, but I have to get a stick.

Lexus pros: Reliability, quality, looks
Lexus cons: Manual transmission (who knows, F-sport might improve this), no heated seats or bluetooth

BMW pros: Certified pre-owned, free maintenance upto 50k, handling, great manual tranny, AWD (I live in Boston)
BMW cons: Reliability, they're everywhere, costs more per month somewhat negated by warranty and free maintenance...

Any thoughts?

My BMW was a little older but LEXUS all the way... feels more solid, MUCH better in snow & ice (87" here this winter and still counting)... better standard features, better mileage, better on maintenance.

If you are a true "driver", car doesn't make that much difference and I'll put my IS250 AWD against a 328 anytime...

My $.02....
Old 03-04-08, 07:49 AM
WALDIS350
Pole Position

i would look in the long run,if your gonna keep it, to see how well each car last as for me i had a chose between the IS and the Bimmer too. My bro-in-law is a service tech for BMW so i could have got a lot better deal through him b/c he had his employee discount but he told me to go with the IS.. he says the life span for a bimmer to a lexus is a lot shorter

i say,

IS250 FTW!!!!!!!
Old 03-04-08, 07:52 AM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SO you HAVE to have a stick? Is it just thats in your mind that a stick is better for some reason? Drive a 350...and REALLY drive one...I have had a stick all my life....my last one being a Carrera. I thought I would miss a stick and it would be CRAZY not to get one...until I drove the IS350....No reason to ever use my left foot....unless I am doing the pedal dance...or left foot braking.....With the paddles and sport mode, its fun and fast, maybe more fun that a stick....
Old 03-04-08, 08:11 AM
Lem144
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DaWhole9
SO you HAVE to have a stick? Is it just thats in your mind that a stick is better for some reason? Drive a 350...and REALLY drive one...I have had a stick all my life....my last one being a Carrera. I thought I would miss a stick and it would be CRAZY not to get one...until I drove the IS350....No reason to ever use my left foot....unless I am doing the pedal dance...or left foot braking.....With the paddles and sport mode, its fun and fast, maybe more fun that a stick....
Thanks, but I really have to have a stick! LOL
Old 03-04-08, 08:57 AM
Smuckers
Driver School Candidate

I would steer clear of BMW's I had an 02 345CI with so many problems I quit counting after a while and dumped the car for an Asian make. The final decision to dump that piece of crap was at 58,000 miles the seals around the doors just for no apparent reason and for lack of a better term simply disentegrated and fell off. Warranty work is way too high also considering the initial cost of the vehicle.
I also had an 05 5 Series with no major problems except the fact that BMW Financial services were harassing me over the phone because I didn't use their independent inspection service when I turned my car in early to get out of the cost of ownership and high miles. They were so behing the eight ball that even though the dealer then sold it used to another sucker out there, they kept on calling me, and telling me to go here and there for the inspection.

NOPE BMW is off my list and I tell everyone "that asks" if it is worth getting into one of those rattling expense traps.

The IS is light years ahead of BMW . . . lol and I guess it just comes down to a matter of taste. Choose Lexus. I am now happy and my garage is happy
Old 03-04-08, 10:04 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 734 Likes on 506 Posts

I just submitted my offer. We'll see if they accept.
Which car did you offer on?
Old 03-04-08, 10:06 AM
Lem144
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Allen K
Which car did you offer on?
Yesterday the Lexus, but they are being jerks. So I am going to get the BMW,which I like a lot better.
Old 03-04-08, 10:07 AM
Oakley IS
Driver

you dont need a AWD for sure

I drive in 1ft of snow everyday 6 months a year here with my RWD 250 and its all good!
Old 03-04-08, 10:15 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yesterday the Lexus, but they are being jerks. So I am going to get the BMW,which I like a lot better.
Both are great cars from great brands IMHO. If you get the BMW I'm sure you will enjoy it. Long ago I swore off BMW, traded it in for a Lexus. Enjoyed Lexus cars ever since, but in the back of my mind I missed the BMW. Eventually ended up with another BMW which I still have. A 2002 330i with Sports/Premium/Nav. Car has 24K trouble free miles so far. When I drive, I enjoy driving it the most out of any of the Lexus cars I've had. My wife likes the smooth ride of the Lexus though, but I'm so much more a sports car type of driver that I love the stiffer BMW suspension and road and steering feel. BMW and Lexus cars just appeal to different people.
Old 03-04-08, 12:14 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Both are great cars from great brands IMHO. If you get the BMW I'm sure you will enjoy it. Long ago I swore off BMW, traded it in for a Lexus. Enjoyed Lexus cars ever since, but in the back of my mind I missed the BMW. Eventually ended up with another BMW which I still have. A 2002 330i with Sports/Premium/Nav. Car has 24K trouble free miles so far. When I drive, I enjoy driving it the most out of any of the Lexus cars I've had. My wife likes the smooth ride of the Lexus though, but I'm so much more a sports car type of driver that I love the stiffer BMW suspension and road and steering feel. BMW and Lexus cars just appeal to different people.

Aloha
Old 03-04-08, 12:21 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 311 Likes on 270 Posts

If by "being jerks" you mean they aren't dealing, just go to another dealership. On the other hand, if you really like the BMW better, go for it. Like I said, my 01 530i was more reliable than my 99 RX300!
Old 03-04-08, 12:36 PM
Lem144
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sktn77a
If by "being jerks" you mean they aren't dealing, just go to another dealership. On the other hand, if you really like the BMW better, go for it. Like I said, my 01 530i was more reliable than my 99 RX300!
The deal is going through on the Bimmer.
Old 03-04-08, 01:34 PM
Lem144
Intermediate

Thanks for all your help guys!

Quick Reply: I need help deciding! What would you do? BMW vs IS250