IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

cabin filter replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-08, 07:49 AM
SpaceCadet
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cabin filter replacement?

I never used the "filter" button next to the "auto" button. I have 15k miles now. Do I still need to replace the filter even though its never used?
Old 03-04-08, 07:58 AM
triple_c
Pole Position

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that button is for an additional pollen/smog filter. I've always had the impression that all air entering the cabin passed through the cabin filter. I never used that button either, but after 10k miles, my cabin filter was pretty dirty.
Old 03-04-08, 08:05 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All 2gen ISX50's have an in cabin microfilter that filters all incoming air coming from the outside via the blower motor. it is contained in the glove box.
Old 03-04-08, 08:24 AM
SpaceCadet
Driver

Originally Posted by Brian231
All 2gen ISX50's have an in cabin microfilter that filters all incoming air coming from the outside via the blower motor. it is contained in the glove box.
so what does the "filter" button do?
Old 03-04-08, 08:41 AM
triple_c
Pole Position

according to the manual all it does is switch the AC control to recirculate mode and flows air through the upper vents. i guess its supposed to remove pollen and dust from inside the cabin.
Old 03-04-08, 08:43 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by triple_c
according to the manual all it does is switch the AC control to recirculate mode and flows air through the upper vents. i guess its supposed to remove pollen and dust from inside the cabin.
That is correct, thank you for taking the time to read your manual, I guess it is an option on some cars (LOL).
Old 03-04-08, 08:48 AM
SpaceCadet
Driver

great thanx
Old 03-04-08, 08:58 AM
Audiofan2
Pole Position

While shopping around for oil filters at a few parts wholesalers I asked about the cabin filter. Apparently, the WIX 2008 catalog shows a carbon filter and a regular filter available for our cars. I don't know the difference, however with other products such as Microwave hoods, a carbon filter is designed to remove smoke.

BTW remember to put the car into "recirculation mode" before attemping the change. Also, FYI on the oil filters the dealer sold me them for about $8 plus $3 for the little gasket. The wholesaler sold only the filter, made by WIX with no gasket for about $9. The filter from WIX didn't look as good either. Then, I went to Autozone for some clay and asked how much, STP (?) was $7 and in cabin filters were only $20. Plus, at Autozone they have a customer rewards and if you spend >$20 five times in six months you get a $20 credit on your rewards card. I wouldn't get oil there though, very expensive Usually my Wal Mart has 5 quart bottles of Mobil One 5w20 for $21

I have always called it my 'fart button" because it works well for this purpose and the icon on the button looks like it illustrates this.
Old 03-04-08, 09:00 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

you should replace it....

Make sure you read the manual if you plan to replace it yourself......
Old 03-04-08, 10:46 AM
Shoganai
Lexus Test Driver

The manual says to replace every 10K but my dealership stated it's good for 15K. Pop out the filter from the glove box and do a visual inspection yourself to determine if you need a replacement or not.
Old 03-04-08, 10:54 AM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Audiofan2
I have always called it my 'fart button" because it works well for this purpose and the icon on the button looks like it illustrates this.
Funny, when the salesmen took me on test drive selling the IS to me, he said that the recirc button could be used to immediately remove the smell of a fart or even bud smoke. He was like " it is great for Police". LMAO, as I was sold on the IS anyways...I was like AWESOME!

turns out I have only probably used it like 5-10 times to remove the smell of a recently-put-out cigar or even a fart. It works well!
Old 03-04-08, 10:59 AM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Audiofan2
While shopping around for oil filters at a few parts wholesalers I asked about the cabin filter. Apparently, the WIX 2008 catalog shows a carbon filter and a regular filter available for our cars. I don't know the difference, however with other products such as Microwave hoods, a carbon filter is designed to remove smoke.

BTW remember to put the car into "recirculation mode" before attemping the change. Also, FYI on the oil filters the dealer sold me them for about $8 plus $3 for the little gasket. The wholesaler sold only the filter, made by WIX with no gasket for about $9. The filter from WIX didn't look as good either. Then, I went to Autozone for some clay and asked how much, STP (?) was $7 and in cabin filters were only $20. Plus, at Autozone they have a customer rewards and if you spend >$20 five times in six months you get a $20 credit on your rewards card. I wouldn't get oil there though, very expensive Usually my Wal Mart has 5 quart bottles of Mobil One 5w20 for $21

http://www.irontoad.com/Merchant2/me...Code=2007is350
sooo much cheaper and its oem I did mines at 10,000 and it was dirty as hell make sure you flip it over to look under it. the top part may look clean but the bottom is nasty as hell
Old 03-04-08, 11:03 AM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Drunkebuda
sooo much cheaper and its oem I did mines at 10,000 and it was dirty as hell make sure you flip it over to look under it. the top part may look clean but the bottom is nasty as hell
I 2nd
Irontoad.com
for Lexus IS parts.
Old 03-04-08, 11:13 AM
SpaceCadet
Driver

Originally Posted by Drunkebuda
irontoad #87139-YZZ08 $28.00
sewell lexus parts #87139-07010 $32.40

is this the same part?
Old 03-04-08, 11:41 AM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sirCharles
Funny, when the salesmen took me on test drive selling the IS to me, he said that the recirc button could be used to immediately remove the smell of a fart or even bud smoke. He was like " it is great for Police". LMAO, as I was sold on the IS anyways...I was like AWESOME!

turns out I have only probably used it like 5-10 times to remove the smell of a recently-put-out cigar or even a fart. It works well!
Ha ha. I remember at the dealership when my car came in and the salesperson was showing me all the features.....she said the same thing about it being a "fart button" that it eliminates stinky odors.

Quick Reply: cabin filter replacement?