IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: What will the condition of my oil be after 10,000 miles?
Your oil will be just fine, you could probably go even more than 10,000 miles
56.52%
Your oil will be sludge, and you've ruined your engine
43.48%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

oil change ? (Merged with previous thread)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-07, 04:32 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably a stupid question, but you didn't change the filter either, right?
Old 08-03-07, 04:40 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
I dont think he touched his car till 10k miles.
Old 08-03-07, 04:45 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Originally Posted by gsrthomas
I dont think he touched his car till 10k miles.
Correct. I haven't done a single thing maintenance wise... Haven't even checked the oil level...

I've done all the nav hacks, etc... But about the only thing that could even possibly be considered maintenance is filling my gas tank
Old 08-03-07, 09:56 PM
dspIS250
Pole Position

you seem to be bragging about not taking care of your car
Old 08-03-07, 11:47 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dspIS250
I'm getting that impression also.
Old 08-04-07, 05:53 AM
Belmont
Pole Position

If you're going to push the limits, I can certainly see doing so with a higher end fully synthetic oil, but with the garbage Lexus throws in there at the factory?

Maybe I'm old school, but there's got to be some negative effects from doing this, even if not readily apparent in your tests.

Also, your poll is complete crap. While you may not "ruin" your engine, I don't know that I'd say it would be just fine either.
Old 08-04-07, 06:45 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dspIS250
Not even close... I was just stressing that I have not performed any maintenance, "YET"... When the time comes, at proper intervals, I do the necessary maintenance...

In fact, I think that I take excellent care of my cars, better than most people... If for just one reason, I keep my car away from the dealership... That's probably the #1 most harmful thing you can do you a car, take it to the dealership...

Originally Posted by Belmont
If you're going to push the limits, I can certainly see doing so with a higher end fully synthetic oil, but with the garbage Lexus throws in there at the factory?
Who says I am pushing the limits? Let's wait and see what the oil tests say... Maybe the oil test will say that I changed my oil too early and could have gone even longer with the "garbage" Lexus put in there... Then again, maybe not... Patience grasshopper

Maybe I'm old school, but there's got to be some negative effects from doing this, even if not readily apparent in your tests.
I don't think you're old school... Superstitious or paranoid maybe, but not old school...

Also, your poll is complete crap. While you may not "ruin" your engine, I don't know that I'd say it would be just fine either.
Is this your way of impolitely asking for me to add a 3rd option?
Old 08-04-07, 08:16 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Garbage oil?? Lexus puts in name brand oil of the correct weight that will serve the owner well if he continues with the same brand of oil. It's hardly fair to categorize the initial oil fill as 'garbage'. A fully synthetic oil does not guarantee you that you will have any longer life, or fewer problems, than regular dinosaur oil. Unfortunately, many have bought into the concept that buying a more expensive, exotic oil is automatically better than the old skool oils. Not true.
Old 08-04-07, 10:49 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I had a toyota 1mz.....seize at 38,xxx miles with the oil changed at 7,500 miles like the manual said so people who think ALL toyotas are bulletproof are wrong.....Another thing about the blackstone comments, whoever writes those knows nothing about tribology and I for one dont trust what blackstone writes, tests or their universal averages. They write a bunch of BS. The one thing I would be interested in would be viscosity and insolubles. That may tell a story. If blackstone tried their hardest to mess those up, they couldnt. If you want a more accurate lab results, use OAI next time, they are more accurate IMO.

P.S. Off topic......is that you working out in those other videos? I can tell you one thing, just by looking at those videos you are definately stronger than me(if it is you) but I have more muscle than you because I dont work-out hard, I work-out smart. Its what smart people do!

Last edited by kingofire; 08-04-07 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-04-07, 11:10 AM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Technique
Hmmmm, interesting... Is there a correlation between gas mileage and oil changes though?
I don't know for a fact, but I've noticed a modest drop in performance in my other cars if I go too long without an oil change. Not sure that it correlates to gas mileage though.
Old 08-04-07, 11:17 AM
IS250 4 Me
Lead Lap

My company owns and markets the #1 branded motor oil in the USA, and the technical experts that study it religiously have told me that you actually get water in the oil, even when the car sits in the garage, which destroys additive life. This is the reason why they still believe in the 3 month/3K mile rule.

Lexus states 5K intervals under "normal driving conditions". Those technical experts also told me that those normal driving conditions do not exist in the United States, so it should still be 3K or 3 months.

I'm not sure what processes Blackstone uses to study the additives, but color me skeptical if they believe that oil as old as you say it is still has additive life.
Old 08-04-07, 11:27 AM
Belmont
Pole Position

+++

I agree completely.
Old 08-04-07, 12:07 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
I have my cars washed at least once a week, and always keep em nice and vacuumed... I think that has the biggest effect on a potential buyer at the end, is seeing a car that has almost no signs of aging, they assume that the car has been babied...

moral of the story: beat the crap out of your engine but not your interior!
Old 08-04-07, 02:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,043 Likes on 2,449 Posts

Originally Posted by kingofire
I had a toyota 1mz.....seize at 38,xxx miles with the oil changed at 7,500 miles like the manual said so people who think ALL toyotas are bulletproof are wrong.....Another thing about the blackstone comments, whoever writes those knows nothing about tribology and I for one dont trust what blackstone writes, tests or their universal averages. They write a bunch of BS. The one thing I would be interested in would be viscosity and insolubles. That may tell a story. If blackstone tried their hardest to mess those up, they couldnt. If you want a more accurate lab results, use OAI next time, they are more accurate IMO.

P.S. Off topic......is that you working out in those other videos? I can tell you one thing, just by looking at those videos you are definately stronger than me(if it is you) but I have more muscle than you because I dont work-out hard, I work-out smart. Its what smart people do!
Please elaborate. Are you saying their mass-spec is bad? Or their techs are Wal-Mart cashiers at their second job? Why do you say this? Is OAI better than Dyson?
Old 08-04-07, 07:46 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IS250 4 Me
My company owns and markets the #1 branded motor oil in the USA, and the technical experts that study it religiously have told me that you actually get water in the oil, even when the car sits in the garage, which destroys additive life. This is the reason why they still believe in the 3 month/3K mile rule.

Lexus states 5K intervals under "normal driving conditions". Those technical experts also told me that those normal driving conditions do not exist in the United States, so it should still be 3K or 3 months.

I'm not sure what processes Blackstone uses to study the additives, but color me skeptical if they believe that oil as old as you say it is still has additive life.
Of course they recommend 3 months/3k rule ..... they are in the business of selling oil!! And much of the oil is sold at quickie lube shops that the manufacturer owns, a classic case of conflict of interest. I figure the engine manufacturer, who has designed the engine and ultimately has more at stake with its performance (warranty issues and satisfied customers for future sales) than an oil vendor who is interested in pushing product out the door. I work for an oil company and if the product meets spec (gasoline, in this case) there isn't a hill of beans difference between the competing products. Same with oil, if it meets industry specs, its good. Since most of the quickie lube shops are owned by the oil companies, explain why should we change the manufacturers +5k rule to a 3k rule?? Answer, it lets them sell more product. I don't buy it.

Here is a good article which torpedoes the 3k rule. As you can see Toyota is at the low end of the scale of 5k changes, most of the industry have moved way beyond this:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...l-change_N.htm

Last edited by Evitzee; 08-04-07 at 07:59 PM.

Quick Reply: oil change ? (Merged with previous thread)