IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: What will the condition of my oil be after 10,000 miles?
Your oil will be just fine, you could probably go even more than 10,000 miles
56.52%
Your oil will be sludge, and you've ruined your engine
43.48%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

oil change ? (Merged with previous thread)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-07, 06:50 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,975 Likes on 2,405 Posts

Wouldn't it be ironic if Terry sends the sample to Blackstone for processing and does his own report on the results?
Old 08-07-07, 07:08 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Wouldn't it be ironic if Terry sends the sample to Blackstone for processing and does his own report on the results?
I think Terry does exactly that. He will also have Blackstone re-test the sample if he feels there is a discrepancy. Blackstone is as good (or bad) as any other lab. The only difference is the way they determine TBN. It is always lower then others.

Koz
Old 08-07-07, 10:15 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Technique
OK, no responses... I'm just going to use my blackstone kit then... My next oil change after this one (provided everything looks ok when the results come back) will be in 15k additional miles, so if there is a consensus on a new company, I'll do it then...
Technique, whatever you do, PLEASE don't go 15k between oil changes without at LEAST monitoring the oil level. You could be looking at very serious engine damage should the oil level drop for any reason.
Old 08-07-07, 11:06 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

OK, no responses... I'm just going to use my blackstone kit then... My next oil change after this one (provided everything looks ok when the results come back) will be in 15k additional miles, so if there is a consensus on a new company, I'll do it then...
what about sending samples to both companies and see if they really have a difference?
Old 08-07-07, 11:10 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Technique, whatever you do, PLEASE don't go 15k between oil changes without at LEAST monitoring the oil level. You could be looking at very serious engine damage should the oil level drop for any reason.
Wouldn't some sort of warning (oil pressure) light come on if my oil dropped to a low enough level to cause very serious engine damage?

Originally Posted by kickin8
what about sending samples to both companies and see if they really have a difference?
Eh, I'm not really interested in proving which oil analysis company is better... I'll leave that to someone else with more time and money on their hands that I have
Old 08-07-07, 12:02 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know how low the oil has to be for the light to come on (loss of oil pressure), but whatever it is ... I wouldn't want to run on that quantity for long (ie. thousands of miles leading up to the light).
Old 08-11-07, 10:39 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

OK, changed the oil today... 10,305 miles to be exact... My mechanic was like "Oh, your oil is pretty dirty!" lol... The filter was pretty black as well... Here are a few pictures... Oh, one more thing, I took the oil sample from where the filter drained out because the oil pan stream was too forceful, I don't think this will make a difference will it?

1st pic is the old and new filter:

2nd pic is the stream from oil pan:

Old 08-13-07, 07:23 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Sent the oil to blackstone today. They should have it Wednesday or Thursday, so the results should be in by this Friday at the latest... Anyone want to speculate now that you've seen pics of the filter and oil?
Old 08-13-07, 07:42 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sent the oil to blackstone today. They should have it Wednesday or Thursday, so the results should be in by this Friday at the latest... Anyone want to speculate now that you've seen pics of the filter and oil?
Yeah, no problem-o. With plenty of life left in the oil.
Old 08-13-07, 07:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

...I don't think this will make a difference will it?...
No, that's how I do it all the time. It's far easier. I'm still wondering if a magnetic oil drain plug would help mitigate the iron in the oil.
Old 08-13-07, 08:41 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't take my car in for the free 5k oil change that everyone gets...
You can probably take it in now and they'll still honor the free oil change.

Your engine is fine... a car engine is stronger than most people think it is... its the other stuff that fails first. Gaskets... Wires deteriorating... and all the other good stuff...

But with all that said... Another reason why i dont like to buy used cars... I dont want to buy one from someone like you.
Old 08-13-07, 09:12 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
You can probably take it in now and they'll still honor the free oil change.

Your engine is fine... a car engine is stronger than most people think it is... its the other stuff that fails first. Gaskets... Wires deteriorating... and all the other good stuff...

But with all that said... Another reason why i dont like to buy used cars... I dont want to buy one from someone like you.
This is true. The engine will most likely be fine. But the gaskets, seals, etc will start hardening and your engine will leak oil.

My friend and I had a Toyota Camry 4cly. I changed my oil at 3k miles. He changed his oil every 7-9k miles. When his engine hit 110k miles I put his car on the lift and oil EVERYWHERE. We had to change the valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, and main engine seal near the crankshaft.

My Camry was perfectly fine, not a drop of oil anywhere. I strongly believe that changing your oil sooner is better for your engine in the long run. No oil analysis in the world would make me change my mind.

But you are leasing so none of this applys to you.

Last edited by gsrthomas; 08-13-07 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-14-07, 12:19 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Changing your oil has nothing to do with how long the gaskets last. How hard you run the engine has everything to do with how long the gaskets last. Besides, this comparison is barely anecdotal. It is very common for Camrys with the same maintenance to which you subscribe to have oil leaks, carboned up intake ports, failed EGR VSVs, and other serious issues by 150k miles.
Old 08-14-07, 06:32 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
Yes, I've heard this from quite a few forum members

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
But you are leasing so none of this applys to you.
You are correct in that this doesn't apply to me, but not because of the lease, but because I've never kept a car past 100k miles... ... I do this with ALL of the cars I own as well, not just the ones I lease...

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Changing your oil has nothing to do with how long the gaskets last. How hard you run the engine has everything to do with how long the gaskets last.
Agreed on OCI not affecting gasket life... But, I run my engine probably harder than 95% of IS350 owners (just a guess) and I predict my gaskets will last just fine even with extended oil changes...
Old 08-14-07, 08:01 AM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

But, I run my engine probably harder than 95% of IS350 owners (just a guess) and I predict my gaskets will last just fine even with extended oil changes...

Will you be brave and honest and tell us if it doenst?

Quick Reply: oil change ? (Merged with previous thread)