IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: What will the condition of my oil be after 10,000 miles?
Your oil will be just fine, you could probably go even more than 10,000 miles
56.52%
Your oil will be sludge, and you've ruined your engine
43.48%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

oil change ? (Merged with previous thread)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-07, 08:17 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
Will you be brave and honest and tell us if it doenst?
Do you mean if my car develops problems will I post it on the forum? Of course I will! Has nothing to do with being brave, lol...
Old 08-14-07, 08:29 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

This blackstone report is going to be meaningless because its the first oil change in this car and the wear numbers are going to be high regardless becuase its from the break-in oil. The TBN should be very very low as from the pics the oil looks to have oxidized and your viscosity will probably be on the 40wt side.
Old 08-14-07, 08:42 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kingofire
This blackstone report is going to be meaningless because its the first oil change in this car and the wear numbers are going to be high regardless becuase its from the break-in oil. The TBN should be very very low as from the pics the oil looks to have oxidized and your viscosity will probably be on the 40wt side.
Meaningless? I think not. There are plenty other UOA results from break-in oil that was changed at lower mileages to compare it to. I did a UOA on mine when I changed it at 5K miles, and they said it appeared to be a 5W-20 instead of the 5W-30 that I assumed it was.
Old 08-14-07, 09:48 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a somewhat off-topic question: Is it true that mineral-based oils suspend contaminates better than synthetic oils? Allowing them to clean your engine better?
Old 08-14-07, 11:18 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
I have a somewhat off-topic question: Is it true that mineral-based oils suspend contaminates better than synthetic oils? Allowing them to clean your engine better?
I think it's the other way???
Old 08-15-07, 11:03 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
Meaningless? I think not. There are plenty other UOA results from break-in oil that was changed at lower mileages to compare it to. I did a UOA on mine when I changed it at 5K miles, and they said it appeared to be a 5W-20 instead of the 5W-30 that I assumed it was.

Meaningless in a sense that if the wear metals are high, for example if the value of iron in yours was 15 and his comes out to be 50, what are we to conclude from that??? If he changed his oil at 5,000 miles and if is driving style is much different than yours his iron levels at 5k might be 25. First UOA's on a new car are meaningless but they are important if you plan to get subsequent UOA so you can have a trending effect. He's just doing this to show off that he can go 10k and not worry about the car breaking. There will be no trending in his part.
Old 08-15-07, 11:17 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kingofire
Meaningless in a sense that if the wear metals are high, for example if the value of iron in yours was 15 and his comes out to be 50, what are we to conclude from that???
We would conclude that it was a mistake. How is that meaningless?
Old 08-15-07, 12:49 PM
ngogsr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont be cheap /lazy
Old 08-15-07, 02:55 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

The results are in! All is good! Blackstone thinks I can go even longer on my next oil change... So 10,000+ miles for the first oil change was just fine, and keep in mind, I REALLY drive my car hard... I don't let it warm up, I floor it all the time... So if you don't drive the car as hard, I'm sure longer would be possible, since the opposite logic always holds true...

I am thinking about going to 12,500 or 15,000 for my next oil change... Thoughts? (BTW, the shop used normal Castrol 5W-30 oil for my oil change)

Summary of results: TBN = 2.0, additive is left... Blackstone says my next oil change can go to 11,000 safely... Here are the details of the results:

Last edited by Technique; 08-15-07 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-15-07, 03:17 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Default See, I was right !!!

Originally Posted by socalJD
I vote neither or 'None of the above'.
Your oil should be normal, prolly have some additive (moly) left, but will be dark as molassas and prolly not good for more than 2k more miles . . .
Myth: 'Plausible'
Damn I'm good, now if I can only be this good in Vegas during Football season . . .

Seriously, even tho you still had moly and your metal reads were acceptable, your oil was very dark (dirty). I believe Castrol dino is the factory fill, so you're fine there. You shoud stick with 10k OCI and do your next change at 20k (if you still have your IS by then - LOL). . .
Old 08-15-07, 03:38 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

For the most part, your results look about like my 5K and 10K UOA numbers added together, which is great. The biggest difference is the amount of silicon. It seems that there is a ton of silicon inside the engine from manufacturing, which I would assume you would want to rinse out sooner than 10K miles. My silicon dropped from 288 at my 1st change to 75 at the second change (and 25 at the 3rd). Obviously, if you add my silicon numbers together, it will be more than yours, but I'm sure that is due to a difference in air filtration and environment.
Old 08-15-07, 04:38 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by socalJD
Damn I'm good, now if I can only be this good in Vegas during Football season . . .

Seriously, even tho you still had moly and your metal reads were acceptable, your oil was very dark (dirty). I believe Castrol dino is the factory fill, so you're fine there. You shoud stick with 10k OCI and do your next change at 20k (if you still have your IS by then - LOL). . .
I agree, I probably should, but I'm going to at least 12,500.

Originally Posted by Gernby
For the most part, your results look about like my 5K and 10K UOA numbers added together, which is great. The biggest difference is the amount of silicon. It seems that there is a ton of silicon inside the engine from manufacturing, which I would assume you would want to rinse out sooner than 10K miles. My silicon dropped from 288 at my 1st change to 75 at the second change (and 25 at the 3rd). Obviously, if you add my silicon numbers together, it will be more than yours, but I'm sure that is due to a difference in air filtration and environment.
Agreed. When are you doing your next change?
Old 08-15-07, 05:09 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Technique
I agree, I probably should, but I'm going to at least 12,500.
Cool. nice to know that its VERY safe for me if I change my oil at 5K miles.

Did you reset the oil change indicator at 5K? cuz it stays on and bugs the heck out of you if you dont change the oil... I had my 15K mile done at 15200 and that 200 extra miles was the worse! I hated seeing that red ! and the Maintenance required on my instrument cluster
Old 08-15-07, 05:11 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If you're dying to change the oil as rarely as possible just throw some Amsoil in there... 25k between oil changes is what they -recommend-
Old 08-15-07, 06:26 PM
accelerate
Lead Lap

Yea that's nice but there also could be engine damage done, for as cheap as it is to change our oil and to save your warranty just change as Lexus recommends.

Quick Reply: oil change ? (Merged with previous thread)