IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: What will the condition of my oil be after 10,000 miles?
Your oil will be just fine, you could probably go even more than 10,000 miles
56.52%
Your oil will be sludge, and you've ruined your engine
43.48%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

oil change ? (Merged with previous thread)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-07, 08:43 PM
davidgaddy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a Lexus not a Kia your car is just fine.I would 15k and would feel just fine.
Old 08-16-07, 01:44 AM
caseyb83
Driver

heck, might as well go 30,000 miles on the oil, i mean, thats what id do if i owned a $45,000 car and wait a minute...
Old 08-16-07, 05:18 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
Cool. nice to know that its VERY safe for me if I change my oil at 5K miles.

Did you reset the oil change indicator at 5K? cuz it stays on and bugs the heck out of you if you dont change the oil... I had my 15K mile done at 15200 and that 200 extra miles was the worse! I hated seeing that red ! and the Maintenance required on my instrument cluster
I reset the oil indicator 2 times before I actually changed the oil It came on for a few seconds when the car started at like 4,500 or something, so I reset it then... Then it came on again at 9,000 or so, again, I reset it... So I'll probably reset it 3 more times before I change the oil again... I'm gonna wait 1 year, which will prob be close to 15,000 miles... My guess is the oil will still have additive left and be fine, just like it was this time...
Old 08-16-07, 05:56 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

This UOA showed that the OEM fill (dino oil), at 10K miles, did not defeat the additive package. This would indicate that if you use a high quality synthetic oil you should be able to safely run a 1 year OCI. That is exactly what I plan on doing. My next change will be Amsoil 0w-20 and I will send a sample out at the 1 year (less then 15K miles) interval to see what's left.

Technique - Thanks for being the ginny pig and sharing the results!

Koz
Old 08-16-07, 07:00 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
Agreed. When are you doing your next change?

I've already done my 4th change, but haven't sent the sample in yet.
Old 08-16-07, 07:07 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gernby
I've already done my 4th change, but haven't sent the sample in yet.
How many miles are on that oil?
Old 08-16-07, 07:11 AM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

I reset the oil indicator 2 times before I actually changed the oil It came on for a few seconds when the car started at like 4,500 or something, so I reset it then... Then it came on again at 9,000 or so, again, I reset it... So I'll probably reset it 3 more times before I change the oil again... I'm gonna wait 1 year, which will prob be close to 15,000 miles... My guess is the oil will still have additive left and be fine, just like it was this time...
Ok Off topic a little, is it a easy DIY to reset that thing? I did a quick search and didnt see the how to come up.
Old 08-16-07, 07:33 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
Ok Off topic a little, is it a easy DIY to reset that thing? I did a quick search and didnt see the how to come up.
lol, well, it's in the FAQ that's a sticky in this forum... It's also in the owner's manual

To reset: All you need to do is hold the tripmeter button down with the key in the ignition in the OFF position. As you are holding down the tripmeter button, turn the key to the ON position. If the Odometer zeros out and the light flashes a couple times, the light should be reset.
Old 08-16-07, 07:54 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

How many miles are on that oil?
It only has almost 6K on it. I didn't want to do an extended OCI on it since it is the 1st batch of 5W-20 that I've used (Mobil 1). I need to send it off to Blackstone so I can figure out when I should change it again. I already have a few thousand on the current oil.
Old 08-16-07, 08:12 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's more annoying is when that warning changes from an "Oil Maintenance Req'd soon" to a 100% visible "Oil Maintenance Req'd" after a certain amount of time/miles with the former... I really need to reset mine.
Old 08-16-07, 08:39 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Ask blackstone to see if they can do a TAN test. It seems like your oil has become acidic and leaching coppor for soft metal bearings. If my copper was at 133 there would be bells and whistles going off in my head but blackstone...I dont know who they let write these synopsis. Just to give you and idea, my copper at 5000 total miles on the car was 4 and at 10173 total miles was 1 and I drive my car hard too atleast redline it a few times a day depending on how my day is going.
Old 08-16-07, 02:09 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

lol, well, it's in the FAQ that's a sticky in this forum... It's also in the owner's manual
I had a feeling it might have been in there but it was easier to just ask than to go dig in the trunk for it. Comfort of being in front of the computer.
Old 08-17-07, 05:58 PM
1022it
Pole Position

I have been watching this post for a long time, and Technique, kudos to you for all of your dilligent investigating and risk taking. If you were to poll the number of people in this club who will be selling/trading in their lexus before it hits 50k miles... i am sure your numbers will be scarse.

For the people like me, who expect to get 200k miles out of their cars, I have spoken with a Lexus mechanic about this, as well as a Space-flight bearing designer (read= bearings that run at 7,000 rpms constant for 20 years, without any service)

The simple fact is that "remaining detergent" is not why people should change their oil every 3/5kmiles... It is a factor in the big picture.

The big picture is that the components which rely on a thin layer of oil in your vehicle need to have this oil at all times of operation. If you are constantly pumping contaminated oil through your vehicle, it wears these components faster.

--Read the blackstone cert yourself... the rep states that the oil you had in your vehicle had evidence of wear much higher than what should be flowing through your engine at 5,900 miles... to me, this means the remaining 4,100 miles was knowingly driven with wear on the engine greater than normal!
Also, silicone is proven to de-wet bearing surfaces, which produces excessive friction/wear as well. a lot of silicone particles are evidence of bearing and bearing race wear.

so on a final note. i am with everyone else who has stated they hope to never buy a vehicle from you. Why? Because the vehicle was neglected and knowingly ran without proper maintenance. We agree with your standpoint of "who cares, I am getting rid of the car at 45k anyways." BUT, we also disagree because we would never do this (we are keeping our vehicles longer!).

again, thanks for the research, and the eye opener; however, this neglect isn't what people who wish to have a reliable vehicle should do.
Old 08-17-07, 09:41 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1022it
I have been watching this post for a long time, and Technique, kudos to you for all of your dilligent investigating and risk taking. If you were to poll the number of people in this club who will be selling/trading in their lexus before it hits 50k miles... i am sure your numbers will be scarse.

For the people like me, who expect to get 200k miles out of their cars, I have spoken with a Lexus mechanic about this, as well as a Space-flight bearing designer (read= bearings that run at 7,000 rpms constant for 20 years, without any service)

The simple fact is that "remaining detergent" is not why people should change their oil every 3/5kmiles... It is a factor in the big picture.

The big picture is that the components which rely on a thin layer of oil in your vehicle need to have this oil at all times of operation. If you are constantly pumping contaminated oil through your vehicle, it wears these components faster.

--Read the blackstone cert yourself... the rep states that the oil you had in your vehicle had evidence of wear much higher than what should be flowing through your engine at 5,900 miles... to me, this means the remaining 4,100 miles was knowingly driven with wear on the engine greater than normal!
Also, silicone is proven to de-wet bearing surfaces, which produces excessive friction/wear as well. a lot of silicone particles are evidence of bearing and bearing race wear.

so on a final note. i am with everyone else who has stated they hope to never buy a vehicle from you. Why? Because the vehicle was neglected and knowingly ran without proper maintenance. We agree with your standpoint of "who cares, I am getting rid of the car at 45k anyways." BUT, we also disagree because we would never do this (we are keeping our vehicles longer!).

again, thanks for the research, and the eye opener; however, this neglect isn't what people who wish to have a reliable vehicle should do.
Yes, very well said. We cannot control what others like to do with their cars. What Technique is doing is minor compared to what other people do with their cars. Its the risk of buying a used car. its sad but what can we say besides buy new...
Old 08-20-07, 06:31 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ERG
Should be no damage but performance wise you should change your oil every 3000 Miles, otherwise it gets dirty.
Are you saying dirty oil is slow oil?

Quick Reply: oil change ? (Merged with previous thread)