IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: What will the condition of my oil be after 10,000 miles?
Your oil will be just fine, you could probably go even more than 10,000 miles
56.52%
Your oil will be sludge, and you've ruined your engine
43.48%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

oil change ? (Merged with previous thread)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-07, 10:56 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question 1st oil change after 10,000 miles - 2007 IS350

OK, so I have about 9600 miles on my 2007 IS350... I'm taking a trip to the beach this weekend, then when I get back, I will do the first ever maintenance on my car, and change the oil... Car should have right around 10,000 miles... Twice the recommended miles for an oil change... The car build date is August 2006. I purchased it in December 2006. So I've only been driving the car for 8 months, but the oil has been sitting in the car for 1 year. I drive my car very hard... Lots of stop and go traffic, and about 30 miles of highway driving per weekday. I redline the car multiple times a day. I don't warm up my engine. I have been doing this since the moment I picked up my car from the dealer. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgrapfogik8)

Let me also add that I've never opened the oil cap to the engine... In fact, I've never even removed the dipstick to check the oil level...

So, when I change my oil next week, I'm going to send the oil to blackstone for a full analysis (yes, TBN)... What do you think the outcome will be? Please vote and post your comments in this thread...

TIP:
For those of you that never saw this other thread, I went 3 years and almost 10,000 miles in my Jaguar S-Type 4.2 before changing the oil... The blackstone analysis said all was good and there was still plenty of additive left...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=change
Old 08-03-07, 01:16 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you going to fill it with for the next 10K? Regular or Synthetic?
Old 08-03-07, 01:31 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe 10k is fine. I have changed mine at 3k miles just because I felt like changing it. I wouldnt go past the recommended 5k mark, but thats just me.

Talking about oil change intervals is a touchy subject because everyone has their own intervals that they are comfortable with.
Old 08-03-07, 01:38 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sirkfc
What are you going to fill it with for the next 10K? Regular or Synthetic?
Regular... Just the standard stuff my local shop uses... I'll find out exactly what they fill it with when they do the change...

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Maybe 10k is fine. I have changed mine at 3k miles just because I felt like changing it. I wouldnt go past the recommended 5k mark, but thats just me.

Talking about oil change intervals is a touchy subject because everyone has their own intervals that they are comfortable with.
Ya, it's a touchy subject, lots of voodoo/superstitious beliefs... Which is exactly why I am doing this and sending the oil to blackstone labs... we'll have concrete evidence of the result on oil of an IS350 being brutally driven for 10,000 miles on the factory break-in oil...
Old 08-03-07, 01:46 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

hey if BMW can go 15k...why not a Lexus.
Old 08-03-07, 02:29 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It should be fine. However, you shouldn't be "pushing it" to the limit. You don't want to damage a car in the long haul...
Old 08-03-07, 02:38 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

I vote neither or 'None of the above'.
Your oil should be normal, prolly have some additive (moly) left, but will be dark as molassas and prolly not good for more than 2k more miles . . .
Myth: 'Plausible'
Old 08-03-07, 02:43 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

And when the results come back, if it says everything is fine, you still don't have a quantitative measure for how good it could have been... So maybe your interval will get your engine to 150K and you'll be rid of the car well before that anyway. But maybe at 5K changes, the engine could have gotten 300K. who knows... (I don't.)

Here's another thought. Let's say you keep the car for 60K miles and time comes to sell it. You saved yourself 6 X 50 = $300 in oil changes by going to 10K changes instead of 5K. Problem is, once the buyer sees your allegedly poor maintenance (good luck convincing them it's not necessary).... They'll demand a discount much greater than the amount you saved...
Old 08-03-07, 02:57 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

^^^ your point is valid only if you 'purchase' the car. I think Technique leases his cars, so these points are moot . . .

Last edited by socalJD; 08-03-07 at 03:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-03-07, 03:09 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

if you lease the car, doesnt it cover maintenance as well?

back to the topic:

10K miles old oil:

dont think it will have any problem but the oil will be black and sticky ?
Old 08-03-07, 03:11 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Okay so he leases a car what if towards the end of his lease he has some interanal engine failure of some sort. The dealer now investigates the cause and asks you for your maintenace records. Good luck with telling the dealer that 10k oil changes are perfectly fine.

IMO play it safe and change the oil at 5k as Lexus wants while your car is still under warranty.

I for one bought my car and will be changing the oil anywhere between 3-5k miles no matter what the lab reports say.
Old 08-03-07, 03:26 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by socalJD
I vote neither or 'None of the above'.
Your oil should be normal, prolly have some additive (moly) left, but will be dark as molassas and prolly not good for more than 2k more miles . . .
Myth: 'Plausible'
I'll take pictures of the oil... I don't think it will be molasses, but we'll see...

And when the results come back, if it says everything is fine, you still don't have a quantitative measure for how good it could have been... So maybe your interval will get your engine to 150K and you'll be rid of the car well before that anyway. But maybe at 5K changes, the engine could have gotten 300K. who knows... (I don't.)
Well, I never keep any car past 100k miles so it doesn't matter to me... I guess if you plan to keep a car to 300k miles (who does this?) then maybe change a bit more frequently...

Here's another thought. Let's say you keep the car for 60K miles and time comes to sell it. You saved yourself 6 X 50 = $300 in oil changes by going to 10K changes instead of 5K. Problem is, once the buyer sees your allegedly poor maintenance (good luck convincing them it's not necessary).... They'll demand a discount much greater than the amount you saved...
I've sold about a dozen cars in my time... Never once has the dealer (trade-in) asked for records, and only once did the person (private seller) ask for them and when I said "I have none", they never mentioned it again. I've always gotten a good price when getting rid of a car...

Originally Posted by kickin8
if you lease the car, doesnt it cover maintenance as well?
No, not covered when you lease. At least, I don't think so... Anyway, even if it was covered, I wouldn't do it... I didn't take my car in for the free 5k oil change that everyone gets...

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Okay so he leases a car what if towards the end of his lease he has some interanal engine failure of some sort. The dealer now investigates the cause and asks you for your maintenace records. Good luck with telling the dealer that 10k oil changes are perfectly fine.
In all likeliness, that won't happen... Chances of engine failing at 45k miles (when I turn in my leased vehicles) is almost zero... And even if my engine did fail, I guarantee you 100% I wouldn't pay a dime... Anyway, end of astronomically unlikely hypothetical discussion... A toyota engine is not going to fail before 100k miles, let alone before 50k miles...

If we want to discuss how many people on this forum have had an engine failure at any mileage on their 2IS, that would be worthy of a new topic, but I think it would be a pretty empty thread
Old 08-03-07, 03:38 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Here's another analysis for thought, and this applies to his lease...
If you believe that an oil change could improve your gas mileage...

10,000 miles. Let's say that at an interval of 10K, Technique averages 18 MPG (given the way he drives)... That's 556 gallons.

If you believe that at a 5K interval, he would have gotten 18.5 MPG (just 1/2 MPG improvement) over the 10K miles, then he would have used 541 gallons.

Even at a rock bottom price of $3/gallon for premium (we're $3.40+ here in NorCal), the 15 gallons difference is already $45, which is pretty much covers the oil change. The difference gets bigger as gas prices go up and/or the MPG improvement is even bigger.

Just a thought...
Old 08-03-07, 03:51 PM
davidbenji
Pole Position

The last 3 cars I had, I sold 2 private party and not one person cared about the maintenance records. The main concerns were 1) has the car been in an accident or had any paint or body work 2) how far can they negotiate on the price. Granted I kept the cars in immaculate condition...which may have set potential buyers at ease Basically I learned potential buyers are more interested in touching and feeling once they come to see the car, than auditing maintenance records.
Old 08-03-07, 04:15 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Here's another analysis for thought, and this applies to his lease...
If you believe that an oil change could improve your gas mileage...

10,000 miles. Let's say that at an interval of 10K, Technique averages 18 MPG (given the way he drives)... That's 556 gallons.

If you believe that at a 5K interval, he would have gotten 18.5 MPG (just 1/2 MPG improvement) over the 10K miles, then he would have used 541 gallons.

Even at a rock bottom price of $3/gallon for premium (we're $3.40+ here in NorCal), the 15 gallons difference is already $45, which is pretty much covers the oil change. The difference gets bigger as gas prices go up and/or the MPG improvement is even bigger.

Just a thought...
Hmmmm, interesting... Is there a correlation between gas mileage and oil changes though?

Originally Posted by davidbenji
The last 3 cars I had, I sold 2 private party and not one person cared about the maintenance records. The main concerns were 1) has the car been in an accident or had any paint or body work 2) how far can they negotiate on the price. Granted I kept the cars in immaculate condition...which may have set potential buyers at ease Basically I learned potential buyers are more interested in touching and feeling once they come to see the car, than auditing maintenance records.
Ya... My experiences mirror yours... I also keep my cars in immaculate condition as well... The interior is like new, no joke... People are always like "wow, this car looks brand new!", even after 3-5 years... My Jaguar is 3+ years old (granted it only has like 20k miles on it) but it seriously is like BRAND NEW on the inside and outside, not a single rock chip on the hood!!! So strange...

I have my cars washed at least once a week, and always keep em nice and vacuumed... I think that has the biggest effect on a potential buyer at the end, is seeing a car that has almost no signs of aging, they assume that the car has been babied...

Quick Reply: oil change ? (Merged with previous thread)