IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: 2gen IS Buil Quality ?
2.02%
2.53%
15.15%
44.44%
35.86%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Build Quality

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-08, 01:08 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate my rattle especially when i go out of town and the freeways are bad. over all i love the car.
Old 03-06-08, 01:57 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by inxexisten
compared to the c class is so much better... i drove a friend's c class and it everything in it rattled or either broke 0.o.... it was a pos... i wanted to crash it for him...

compared to a 3 series... its on par...
You wanted to crash it for him LMAO!!!!!
Old 03-06-08, 02:01 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never noticed any "squeeks" or "rattles", but then again I'm not driving around listening for them either.
This may or may not be relevant.
I recently had a conversation with a service writer from a local BMW dealership, and the subject of pain in the **** customers came up. He has no love for 3 series owners (excluding the M). Of all the BMW models the entry level 3 series owners are the ones that ***** and moan about every little thing, demand stuff for free and always expect a loaner, no matter what.
Its the people who spent big money, 5 series and up that are the most friendly and never complain (don't have the time or have more imprtant things to worry about)

I wonder if this is the same observation a Lexus service writer would make?
Old 03-06-08, 03:33 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hate the rattle noise got it fix under tsib but now its been 2 months and its back... so i said f it cuz i dont want my baby rip apart again...i rate it at 4 every thing else is good,,,
Old 03-06-08, 04:09 PM
NGG
Pole Position

Quality is much better than the ES350...had one...a lemon: rattles, wind noise, engine clatter, transmission flare. My IS350 is miles ahead. Some minor gripes, same as most: dash creaks/rattles, brake dust, feel that the direct injection engine ticks and road noise could be muffled. All in all, nice tight car,
quick, pleasure to drive.

Read all posts and was struck with OP spelling challenges: Opion, deisel, dissapointed, brakeing, dash board, dam, arent, havent. Here is a challenge: let's see how many can post the correct spelling for each of these words. Yeah I know, this is not related to IS subjects, but it is communication which we all do on this forum.
Old 03-06-08, 04:18 PM
BlackGhost
Lexus Test Driver

With a 50k on my ride,i love the quality . No issues what so ever. with a propear service you should have not problems,at lease to my knowlege
Old 03-06-08, 04:46 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as build quality it is fantastic compared to other cars. I really think the only improvements it needs are a better quality dash that doesnt rattle so much, Better quality leather seats with more support because these seats suck in all aspects. The only things this car is missing are what I mentioned above and maybe the road feel of German car, the Japanese cars always feel numb.
Old 03-06-08, 05:32 PM
Sh0gunkid
Rookie

its amazing people rate the quality down to a 2 just cuz of some minor rattles. id rate it a 4 cuz theres no such thing as a perfect thing.
Old 03-06-08, 05:52 PM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Gave it a 4
Old 03-06-08, 05:52 PM
Jenomic
Driver

I agree with sh0gun.. rattles don't make it a 2.. it just doesn't make our cars a perfect 5.. i voted 4 for quality.. still love my ride..
Old 03-06-08, 07:25 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

For as well as the VIPs (very important parts: engine, transmission, etc) are put together......I am disappointed that Lexus didn't put even half of that energy, ingenuity and passion into the interior parts. Yes, I would rather have a Lexus that rattles on the inside than a BMW that rattles in the transmission. However, having experienced both, I would like to see Lexus step up the game, because yes people....there are cars that don't rattle and squeak like ours.
Old 03-06-08, 07:26 PM
5h4n3
Rookie

Gave it a 5.. car still quite new and haven't noticed anything bad about it.
Old 03-06-08, 07:55 PM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
For as well as the VIPs (very important parts: engine, transmission, etc) are put together......I am disappointed that Lexus didn't put even half of that energy, ingenuity and passion into the interior parts. Yes, I would rather have a Lexus that rattles on the inside than a BMW that rattles in the transmission. However, having experienced both, I would like to see Lexus step up the game, because yes people....there are cars that don't rattle and squeak like ours.
you pay for what you get if you expect it to be completely rattle free completely spend 80k-450k...ive never been in a cheap car that was rattle free...everyone had even the slightest rattle
Old 03-06-08, 08:10 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by inxexisten
you pay for what you get if you expect it to be completely rattle free completely spend 80k-450k...ive never been in a cheap car that was rattle free...everyone had even the slightest rattle
I spent about 25k less on a used RSX that rattled less, and about 8k less on a BMW that was completely rattle-free.

Don't kid yourself; it can and has been done in this price range. Lexus can do better.
Old 03-06-08, 09:13 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

I only have had my car for 3 months...no complaints yet. After reading everyone elses comments..sounds like I'll be driving a rattle trap in a few years. I give it a "5" for now.

Quick Reply: Build Quality