IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: 2gen IS Buil Quality ?
2.02%
2.53%
15.15%
44.44%
35.86%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Build Quality

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-08, 02:18 AM
weesped
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
I spent about 25k less on a used RSX that rattled less, and about 8k less on a BMW that was completely rattle-free.

Don't kid yourself; it can and has been done in this price range. Lexus can do better.
RSX's are in no way rattle-less >_> my friend drives one, and whoa left and right. we had to do some ghetto fixes like shoving paper in one of the speaker grills to stop the horrible rattles.
Old 03-07-08, 03:22 AM
slowandlow
Lead Lap

i am starting not to be very happy with my is. the first thing is the idleing thing where it iddles at 1500 rpm all day when it is cold with i have to use more breaks to stop the car and it lunges foward when i relese the break. did i say lexus says this is normal. seccond my washer fluid tank seems to keep leaking i had it fixed once all ready and it still leaks. and the rattles. my first year neon had less problems than this car.
Old 03-07-08, 04:37 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First year for a car is always shaky, but to have 07' and 08's with the same problems, doesn't reflect well. I would be very hesitant on buying another.
I think one of the problems is the car is so nice and tight when it is new any small about of noice is multiplied.
Old 03-07-08, 06:17 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by weesped
RSX's are in no way rattle-less >_> my friend drives one, and whoa left and right. we had to do some ghetto fixes like shoving paper in one of the speaker grills to stop the horrible rattles.
I never said RSXs were rattle-less, perhaps you should read my post more closely.

I would never make a claim like that because I haven't owned all of them.
Old 03-07-08, 06:35 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
I never said RSXs were rattle-less, perhaps you should read my post more closely.

I would never make a claim like that because I haven't owned all of them.
I owned an RSX Type R, sold it with 44k, an it had less rattles then my IS with 12k...I'm not saying this is the case for all, but That car was much less then the IS...
Old 03-07-08, 06:39 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slowandlow
i am starting not to be very happy with my is. the first thing is the idleing thing where it iddles at 1500 rpm all day when it is cold with i have to use more breaks to stop the car and it lunges foward when i relese the break. did i say lexus says this is normal. seccond my washer fluid tank seems to keep leaking i had it fixed once all ready and it still leaks. and the rattles. my first year neon had less problems than this car.
I noticed my washer fluid leaking at the base of the resevoir and funnel after I removed it once for the HID Instal. It is a poor design and i have not taken it back to the delaer because of my mod and they will know I removed it. Honestly, Lexus shouold have pleaced a rubber washer in the base of it. Maybe I will make one when the weather warms up and post it for others.
Old 03-07-08, 03:45 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Big *****
First year for a car is always shaky, but to have 07' and 08's with the same problems, doesn't reflect well. I would be very hesitant on buying another.
I think one of the problems is the car is so nice and tight when it is new any small about of noice is multiplied.
you got it.....you can even hear a pin drop.... LOL
Old 03-07-08, 07:18 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

G37 also has lots of rattles according to my fren. heard a rattle above my head ( sitting on passenger side-front) thought it's sun glass inside the sunglass pocket. took it out, still there.
Old 03-08-08, 07:41 AM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Owning a few cars in this class I can honestly say that owners are WAY more picky about things then other cars. That mixed with the fact that they are luxo cars an their interiors are say infinitely quieter then say my old Sti, that can be a bad combo, especially for really little rattles. I know my old Acura TL was VERY quite at 65 mph, especially on smooth road. You could barely tell you were driving with the exception of a little wind notice. I had this little tiny, itty bitty rattle in my seatbelt that sat next to my left ear and bugged the crap out of me. Took it in to get fixed 4 times with no luck.

Over all in my opinion the IS350 is multiple times better built then the competitors in the class. The grass isn’t greener on the other side of the fence. In fact, no car will ever be perfect.

People forget that the real purpose of these things is to drive around at 65mph+ to the tune of 5+ times around the world. Things loosen up and such, learn to deal with it.

If you've had a major problem with your car just remember, that just means you are unlucky. You are one of those 10 in 1000 people who have. If you had a compeditors car, you could be one of those 200 out of 1000 people who have had major problems.
Old 03-08-08, 09:42 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by inxexisten
you pay for what you get if you expect it to be completely rattle free completely spend 80k-450k...ive never been in a cheap car that was rattle free...everyone had even the slightest rattle
I had a buddy who was a service adviser for BMW several years back. He said the more expensive the model, the more problems that would occur oddly enough. Maybe things have changed over the years. As far as CL members being upset about the rattles and squeaks, sounds like this is an issue for everyone and we are not nit-picking. It is a design flaw that should have been rectified for 07 and 08 models. The build quality is great, Lexus engineers just made a bad decision to not insulate the clips and housing better. Dash rattles are a major annoyance, but a simple TSIB fix. I have no issues after my TSIB fix other than the vents crackle from time to time with the cold weather. Much better than a sensor issue or tranny problem. I guess the moral of the story is, CL members should get the TSIB for the rattles, brake dust and seat squeak and you will be happy like me. You are owed this for you purchase.
Old 03-08-08, 09:43 AM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

I gave it a 3

all my xcars were Germen (ML, X5, Cayenne S, S, CL, SL, 930T & a mini S) the IS rattels more than ALL of the cars above including the mini cooper S(aka the sensetive toy) and the abused '01 off-road mercedes ML... and i pamper my '07 IS!

p.s. not all the cars were mine, my family's moto is “sharing is caring”
Old 03-08-08, 09:53 AM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

My vote was based on the interior quality alone, everything else in the car is defiantly a 5 and give all my xcars a 3 on the maintenance
Originally Posted by Brian231
...Dash rattles are a major annoyance, but a simple TSIB fix...I guess the moral of the story is, CL members should get the TSIB for the rattles...
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but for the sake of those who are not living in the Northern American continent, we are not offered the luxury of TSIB’s. Can we purchase the corrected dashboard clips separately?
Old 03-08-08, 10:14 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kattanh3
My vote was based on the interior quality alone, everything else in the car is defiantly a 5 and give all my xcars a 3 on the maintenance
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but for the sake of those who are not living in the Northern American continent, we are not offered the luxury of TSIB’s. Can we purchase the corrected dashboard clips separately?
Wow,

I thought the TSIB was a global corrective initiative. if not, there is a part number for the "Noise Kit" as Lexus calls it. I sincerely hope they fix this for free of charge you without you having to deal with it.
Old 03-08-08, 10:20 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kattanh3
raise some hell and they should be able to fix it for you.... FOR FREE
Old 03-08-08, 12:29 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

I notice on mine, the drivers's side front bumper has a small gap between the bumber and the headlight assembly, but the other side is tight. I tried lifting it up to see if it was loose but everything was snug. I never noticed it before until I gave it a thorough wash earlier this week. Anyone notice this too?

Quick Reply: Build Quality